Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 10-15-2007
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Re: Lime Rock in October

Very nice post Harsha....Loved the Photos....but as I looked closer.....Blue car,...rainy day....left hander....yellow helmet.......HEY THAT"s ME....in my moment of shame.......And to make matters worse; I had to drive through that huge puddle to my right and somehow that puddle caused a very mysterious $275 worth of crash damage.........Oh the shame!!!!
Old 10-15-2007
red mist junkie

Great post Harsha. I loved your Photos. You have a very good eye.
But as I looked at the picture of the car in the second photo, my mind started working:
Blue car
spinning in the left hander
VERY VERY rainy day
Yellow helmet
HEY!!!!! THAT'S ME!!!!!!
Imortalized forever in the juicy site. By the way; I had to use the large puddle to the right front of my car. That damn puddle caused some unknown crash damage worth $275. No one could tell me what it was; just that it was.
Old 10-15-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Harsha said....."Professor Don Van made sure I learned the entire history of "hubris" from the ancient Greeks to LongTerm Capital."

Hey buddy time to start the "No Hubris" racing team NHR, ala Rick, Kasey & Mark. However we will need an appropriate logo...ideas anyone?

Great post, great racing with you, many good moments and memories. Masters memorial in Daytona was one of many. See you at Atlanta for more.
=========
On a side note today is 20 year anniversary of 87 market crash. Oil hit $86.35 today, how will this effect racing in the future.
Old 10-15-2007

Good to finally meet you Harsha. I had a lot of fun racing with you after my LONG sabbatical. Did you have a camera for that race? My video didn't work. Plus, you had a better view of our race than I did since my camera was facing forward.
Old 10-16-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
....Plus, you had a better view of our race than I did since my camera was facing forward.
hilarious Ari, nice to see you in the mix again
Old 10-16-2007
administrationistperson

Another noteworthy event.....Jane Englebardt taking that big Next Step entering her first race weekend!
Wow Jane, you got Moxie!

Way to go kiddo, congratulations!! You both add a lot of class to the series
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	moxies.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2253  

Last edited by cdh; 10-16-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-16-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE
Blue car
spinning in the left hander
VERY VERY rainy day
Yellow helmet
HEY!!!!! THAT'S ME!!!!!!

Imortalized forever in the juicy site.
and I thought you were just admiring the pretty new flowers

Quote:
By the way; I had to use the large puddle to the right front of my car. That damn puddle caused some unknown crash damage worth $275. No one could tell me what it was; just that it was.
That's the standard deep cleaning fee for water damage. All the rental companies are charging that these days.
Old 10-16-2007
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Water traps, intriguing idea.....of course hydroplaning across them could be a problem (silly pic from an old thread)

This just HAD to become my new desktop.

Any chance you could explain it to my grandson? It has him a bit confused.

Name:	oldred-kid.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	2265  
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Last edited by cdh; 10-19-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-16-2007
administrationistperson

this other version might add to the confusion

Name:	eaubud.gif
Views:	249
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	2256  
Old 10-18-2007
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Let’s start with a pat on the back for everyone who raced at the Lime Rock Finale for creating one of the lowest crash damage figures anyone can remember. The rain did slow things down for lapping, practice and qualifying through mid-day Friday but there was plenty of full out racing Friday afternoon and all day Saturday with only one significant off. Jane Englebardt qualified for and completed her first race ever so big congratulations for crossing that threshold to Jane. Lee quickly jumped back on the horse after his uphill adventure in race 2 to have a terrific dice with Doug Harrison and Chris Brassard in the Masters Race.

Lest we short the outright Champions. and big congrats to Jordan Taylor and Gabby Chavez for putting on an exciting close Championship all season. They pushed each other the entire distance and we will certainly see lots more of them both. Jordan showed poise beyond his years and in the end had both the speed and consistancy to take the title.

The rainy conditions invoked the word diabolical many times as heavy rain mixing with residual oil and rubber on a track that hadn’t seen rain in several weeks produced some of the slipperiest conditions even MHP had ever experienced at Lime Rock. Some of the most fun I’ve had in the rain ever. It was DIABOLICAL as every wet lap seemed to be a new experience from the previous wet lap. We sorely missed Gerardo as he would have loved those rainy challenges more than anyone. So much fun!

One of the most memorable auditory moments of the weekend was the #30 car in race group 3 losing 5th gear and actually leading the race (until an off required a safety check) by running the entire front straight with the motor loudly bouncing off its rev-limiter. It made for a very unique machine gun Doppler effect that got everyone’s attention and invoked lots of smiles and comments…

Chris Brassard ate his life’s quota of cheap Chinese synthetic beard fiber while producing the most hilarious spot on impression of Sid Brenner that anyone has ever seen. Even Sid couldn’t out heckle his faux nemesis.

As usual the mechanics worked like dogs to keep the fleet up and running making chicken salad from chicken feathers at every turn. The instructors did their thing both instructing and nurse-maiding us through the changing conditions. As the weather cleared up the temperature went from the balmy high 60’s to windy, autumnal and frigid mid 30’s on Saturday morning. The winds dried the track quickly on Friday but there remained treacherous puddles and soaking wet grass lurking at every turn to change the complexion of the track in an eye blink.

In Champ group 4 race one, I started P6 and with a good rim shot through turn one jumped to P4. Those changing track conditions worked to my benefit as the faster guys got caught out on wet spots and I crossed the finish line P2. Peter Ludwig showed up without practice or qualifying and from DFL was at the front in the opening laps before a slippery left hander cost him a spin and safety check and he still finished 6th!

In race 2 started P2 in front of those fast hungry drivers and at the green flag Peter L. again did his thing flying up from P6 between Nick Direnzo and me going into turn one. (Didn’t think I’d left enough room for that to happen… Welcome to Champ group… Thank you very much! :-) After Peter went by we enjoyed battling with Bobby Ellis and Bill Hammer ultimately losing both battles well before the stripe to finish P5.

My best moment of the weekend came in the Master’s race with a perfectly timed start that took me from P6 behind Peter Ludwig to P1 going into big bend. Yee ha! Big smiles in the helmet as I held off Bill Hammer and Peter Ludwig for two laps, before letting them by to battle for the lead. Peter ultimately won the battle and Jim Craige ran me down mid-race for the final podium spot as I finished 4th.

The experience of running in Champ group this season has been the most exhilarating and confronting of my 4 partial seasons of Skippy racing. Everyone said there was more to be learned running mid-pack in Champ group than clubbing baby seals in Sportsman and that was absolutely the case. The challenge was running in only 3 Eastern events this year while trying to keep up with those doubling or running the whole season. It’s always about improving as a driver and the instructors were unfailing at every turn and every track with their support.

At the banquet was shocked to receive the “Most Improved Driver” cup and $2000 Skippy dollars (or $47 US as Kieth pointed out :-). This award is meaningful because it’s an acknowledgement from the instructors, who know where we’ve started and how far we’ve progressed in the craft. This honor (though not the Skippy dollars :-) should rightfully be shared with all Skippy racers who’ve worked hard this year to improve their game.

Speaking of which, Tom Capizzi, who won the Masters Championship going away, really put in the time and upped his game considerably. Tom didn’t have a nickel of crash damage the whole season and is now a serious threat in any Champ group race he enters. Well-deserved congratulations to Tom for his championship… And to Doug Harrison 3rd in Masters points and Grand Master Champion. Bravo CDH!

Also big personal thanks to Sy Aryeh and Doug Harrison for their friendship and support as always. Doubt I’d have come this far without their friendship and our virtual TeamJuicyRacing clubhouse to maintain the connection.

Had so much fun watching and working on Doug’s banquet video’s this year. Thanks again Doug, for preserving those fun and special moments that will only become more meaningful as the years pass. If you haven’t got your own copy you might want to order one from Doug as it’s the kind of thing that’s quickly forgotten after the banquet.

One of the most important joys of Skippy racing is having witnesses as we go through the process of improving as racers. The reason this is way more satisfying than SCCA racing (besides not having to own and wrench our own car) is being watched and coached by professional men and women who evaluate and encourage us as we progress. They view us from a more enlightened perspective that illuminates, consoles and celebrates our journey. Pure and simple it’s a special experience. As competitors we also bare witness to each other at the track and here on TJR to maintain our friendships, connection and passion for racing. It’s special to share these race weekends in a family like atmosphere and I am always humbled by how well Todd, Kelly, Kerry, Nick Nick, the mechanics, the instructors and all the support people I’ve failed to mention, perform the heavy lifting of creating the magic that becomes a race weekend and race season.

We are blessed to share this experience with each other. High fives and hugs to all.

Pat

Name:	banquet-07-01B.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	2262  

Last edited by dalyduo; 10-18-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Hey Guys, Great Season once again with all of you. Back to reality here this week has taken me away from all but work, and sorry I missed these posts.

Congratulations to all and special shout out to DD for a great most improved driver and to CDH and Tom Capizzi for their formidable Masters and Grand Masters Wins.

DD you had my vote all the way for that well deserved honor and Doug and Tom were "masterful"

I found my season a tough transition going from Sportsman to Champ this year with limited opportunities to race against the faster kids. Despite some tough flame out races I was happy to work on my consistency and to keep my eyes looking forward to finding a faster way by watching all of you "faster" racers. Not sure I made as much progress as I would have liked but all in all I had a great time again with you all.

There were many many others that deserve accolades that may not have done enough of the season to Place. You know who you are and you should be proud. Leland, Harsha to name a couple.

As usual the fun and friendships are unmatchable. Thank you all, the racers, the staff, and all of our family and friends at SBRS for a great season.

My only wish is that more of you would come back and race again next year so we can have even more fun...Michele, Nick, and so many others...Oh yeah, one last wish..Please give Sid all of your money on the first race weekend next year so he can relax and we can enjoy his good humor without the guilt!
Old 10-19-2007
administrationistperson

Kudos also to Scott James, nice solid season, fun having you at the weekends Scott. Your entry at the Masters Invitational was a bold move indeed, well done. Didn't you receive an award at the banquet?

In his M.I.D. speech Pat thanked Julia Landauer for not racing in the series (). I will thank Bill Hammer, Lee Englebardt and Pat Daly for not running more races as they were clearly faster than I was. I guess part of ending up ahead is just running/finishing more races than others, even when others are faster. I never saw the podium after the VIR master win the first weekend, is the GM win a hollow victory? Somewhat, but what the hell.

Most fun race this season? A tie, the WGI Invitational race on Sunday was fabulous - we were dicing right to the stripe, so much fun (DD you will race at the Glen next year!). Harsha, Dom, Michele, lee and I were 100'ths apart at the line

Other race was Masters-only race at Finale. Got into a different car (#73) and it was maybe the best car I drove all year, it was perfect, boosted confidence, I was racing (not lapping) again. It relit the dying desire in me to race......thanks for that car Keith!!!

My dumbest move this year? Always a tough category for me to choose, so many candidates. Out of car, I would say it was asking the instructors (not telling, I swear) at the Invitational to cover some of the other battles going on (not just leaders) over the walkie-talkies (for the videos, not for my sake, I swear ). Big Mistake. The following race my name was called at every corner, every lap. OK guys, lesson learned, you can stop doing that now, the 2007 season is over, have mercy on me....please.

#2 out of car dumb move was introducing that damn clown helmet at VIR. I thought it might be funny, but the bad mojo gods thought otherwise. That helmet appeared at only 2 race weekends, VIR and Tremblant. I had crash damage at only 2 weekends this year....yup, VIR & MT....yikes! I have emailed Joe G requesting it be crushed, burned, compacted, or just hidden away on a shelf never to be seen again (remember that last shot of the cavernous warehouse in Raiders of Lost Ark? That would be perfect)

Incar dumb moves too numerous to list but one really takes the cake, from the Finale. Mike M has video of this and I have been waiting for video to go with this post, but I will describe it anyway. Saturday race, Championship on the line for Jordan & Gabby so I was more than a little concerned about blue flags as they would surely catch me on the short LRP circuit. Let me also add I have been (wrongly) accused in the past of holding up leaders (I record and listen to lots of race chatter). One instructor who shall remain nameless has more than once accused me of not minding the blue flags....bull, according to others.

OK, I was more concerned with the blues than I should have been. I get a blue, no one in mirrors but I begin to be preoccupied with my mirrors. Another lap, another blue, now I see a car (Gabby) waaaay back. OK, foot down, don't be caught from turn 2 till the front straight. I wasn't. More blues (jeeeez), more preoccupation with mirrors. I am half way down front straight and am pointing by frantically even though Gabby is a dot in my mirrors. Not going to happen this time around, nor am I going to remember to brake for Turn One! DAMN! I am way late, lock up, big 4-off into grass. No tire wall contact but it gets worse. I drive through one of the huge LRP puddles that lay hidden all around the track and I am suddenly looking at the world through a sheet of water that came crashing down, soaked me more than if it had been a rain race, smooth move slick. It gets worse, side pods are now water tanks soaking my rears as I get on track again...spin...get moving again, spin...try again, spin again, please God let this comic relief stop. Stevie D said it best afterwards, I was now the "No good deed shall go unpunished" poster boy. Video when I get it.

I think I have covered enough of the bad, the good - thanks again to the instructors, Nick Nick, Kelly, Kerry, RB, Jason, Joe Gulish, German, the mechanics, office staff, everyone else, and especially Todd Snyder for making the videos possible

Name:	ap-warehouse.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2267  

Last edited by cdh; 10-20-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2007
Grand Master

As a footnote to Doug's funny self-depricating wrap up it is important to add that unlike many of us who have the indulgent luxury of time to get feedback, take track notes and discuss our driving with instructors and competitors during a race weekend Doug, on the other hand, spends most of his time at the track with a video camera on his shoulder capturing hundreds of bits and pieces of instructors and competitors that he then spends days editing into those wonderful highlights at the banquets.

None of us understand what it's like to try to both document and run in a race series because none of us would dare try to do it! And Doug does 98% of the work by himself. No staff, no assistants. It's the old Ginger Rogers analogy that Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did except she did it backwards and in high heels!

While I won't suggest that Doug is the Ginger Rogers of Skip Barber... I will say that his racing suffers at the expense of producing great video's. The notion that his Grand Master Championship is somehow hollow because he ran more races than some he perceives as being faster than him is poppycock! (Don't get me riled up! ) And of course Doug is the only one suggesting this!

When only focused on drivng, Doug is better than most as evidenced by his stellar rain qualification last week. If we took the camera out of his hands he'd be waxing most of our tails, so his suggestion that his Grand Master Championship was somehow hollow is absolute nonsense.

You earned every point Doug and we celebrate your success.
Old 10-19-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
Good to finally meet you Harsha. I had a lot of fun racing with you after my LONG sabbatical. Did you have a camera for that race? My video didn't work. Plus, you had a better view of our race than I did since my camera was facing forward.
Hah! Good one! See if I let you by me next year! I learned a big lesson this year-- can't count on a race going the full length at LRP with people flipping cars and stuff. Get that forward-mounted camera ready for next year, buddy. Yer gonna need extra film.
Old 10-19-2007
G-force junkie

Hear, hear Pat-- extremely well-said!

I saw Doug in action for myself at WGI Masters Invitational for the first time. While I could be completely focused on calming myself mentally and warming up physically before getting in the car, Doug had to fool with his video gear, making sure it was secure and would record when the button was pushed (and yelling at it when it did not). In between sessions while I was busy with my notes, debriefing with instructors, or just relaxing my brain, he was setting up and monitoring great time-lapse shots and capturing all the hand jive and general paddock highjinks we enjoy in our banquet videos. At seminars he was shooting video rather than being able to be focused on what the instructor was saying. Those videos really cement the camaraderie of a season for us. Without them a lot would be lost.

So with all those distractions and stresses, his still being able to put in the performances he does (I barely beat him to the stripe that day and I had all my time and attention focused on my driving, and he beat many other tough competitors) (and I will never forget that Senna-like wet qualifying lap last week) shows in spades the talent and grit he possesses.

So no more of that "hollow victory" nonsense, Doug. You earned it the hard way and deserve it. Now, to quote NickNick, for the love of God, enjoy it like you're supposed to.

(BTW, storage idea for the clown helmet is perfect)
Old 10-19-2007
administrationistperson

hmmm, how do I say this politely...STOP IT! Comment was just a passing thought in a long ramble, I am very happy with the GM, I had a blast this year, thanks guys but paaahleeeze, this is ridiculous....you got the wrong guy
Old 10-20-2007
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Thanks Doug. I have to echo the thanks to all of the staff, mechanics, instructors and most of all the other racers that made my first season with Skip Barber so great! This is the best racing deal available. I definately progressed and learned so much this season. I still haven't found the "push to pass" button in my car yet though??
I'm hoping to get on the podium soon and advance to Champ group and try to keep up with all of you! Hopefully, I'll see some of you at the tracks this winter. Scott
Old 10-20-2007

Gallery Images: 8

Congrats Scott on a great first season! You really progressed well this season, Master or Not !

Hopefully the banquet chatter didn't scare Sue off from allowing you to continue!

Look forward to seeing you on the podium next year. You will be there in short order no doubt.
Old 10-20-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
...It's the old Ginger Rogers analogy that Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did except she did it backwards and in high heels!
Many of you have been the brunt of my photo-chops, so I figured it was time for me to be in the crosshairs. Pat, if this was a seed you planted, it worked.....good heavens....

Name:	cdh-fred-06.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	2272  

Last edited by cdh; 10-20-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2007

Gallery Images: 36

This ranks up there with Matt Franc in that pink thing! Except that picture was real.
Old 10-20-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgersid
hope to see you in fla soon
Don't you know it. Thanks for the kind words, Sid, you're the best. I'm just a simple kind of guy-- give me a sunny day, a cold drink, and a fishing boat. I'll do the drinking and watch you supervise the fishing.
Old 10-20-2007
Grand Master

Woof... Ok... That's weird Love it.

You really need Skip's face (or some other legendary racer's face) on Fred's body to complete the analogy. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Many of you have been the brunt of my photo-chops, so I figured it was time for me to be in the crosshairs. Pat, if this was a seed you planted, it worked.....good heavens....
Old 10-21-2007
administrationistperson

I was hoping the rather disturbing cdh photochop would distract readers from the posts above it,
not silence the forums

Better start some new threads.....

oh yeah, to anyone I have photochopped in the past......we're now even, this resets the clock

Last edited by cdh; 10-21-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2007
Big Dick

This from the guy who had issues putting Nick Nick's head on the dog.
Old 10-21-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
I was hoping the rather disturbing cdh photochop would distract readers from the posts above it,
not silence the forums
That apparition totally shorted out the visual-cognitive association areas of my brain. I lost more neurons in a split second than during the entire mid-Ohio weekend. Some cortical pathways may never funtion normally again. Just barely managed to struggle out of catatonia in time to watch the GP. There are some things our eyes should never see.

...must...maintain...consciousness....
Old 10-21-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands
That apparition totally shorted out the visual-cognitive association areas of my brain. I lost more neurons in a split second than during the entire mid-Ohio weekend. Some cortical pathways may never funtion normally again. Just barely managed to struggle out of catatonia in time to watch the GP. There are some things our eyes should never see.

...must...maintain...consciousness....

OK, now I know what picture will be on my Hanford billboard next time we race.
Just imagine what it will be like gridded behind me with that to look at......
Old 10-21-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Just imagine what it will be like gridded behind me with that to look at......
No! PLEASE! ANYTHING BUT THAT!!! I'll never make it through the first corner. Have you no humanity??!? What do you want??

(Need help with that bag, Mr. Harrison? Please let me carry that video gear, Mr. Harrison. Allow me to warm up your car, Mr. Harrison...)

oh, wait...... who said I'd be gridded behind you?

Nice try Doug, almost got me there. See you in Sebring...

Old 10-21-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands
oh, wait...... who said I'd be gridded behind you?
that would be me Besides, should you be on the grid ahead of me, there's plenty of ad space on the nose of the RT may have to tape over your mirrors...

...I think it would be worse having that thing chasing you down, better to just stay behind me.
Old 10-23-2007
Diesel Demon

Has anyone gotten their Helix videos yet for the LRP weekend ?

Viz
Old 10-23-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman
Has anyone gotten their Helix videos yet for the LRP weekend ?
Mike has been on road a lot, Atlanta, Laguna, back to Atlanta, he has his gnomes working on vids from LRP but apparently the new chip storage cams he's using take a lot more time to process the data. They are going out, just slowly. Not sure what the advantage is over tape.

Waiting for race vids is tough, you should be getting them soon though.

cdh
Old 10-23-2007
Diesel Demon

Thanks Doug !

Viz
Old 10-24-2007
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Pat,
Thanks for the long report. Really helps us who couldn't be there.

Doug,
What a riot! Nice photoshop!

As for the digital cards vs tape, I can't vouch for the post-processing work, but at track, the cards allow us to do some immediate coaching much more simply than with the miniDV tapes. That's at least one benefit.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 10-25-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlippert
This from the guy who had issues putting Nick Nick's head on the dog.
Well, it was kind of a weird request BD, seen here again for the last time. I think you called it Cloning Gone Wrong. A Racer and his Dog? Kibbles and NickNicks? Anyone? (this is a cry for help in case you hadn't noticed )

Name:	cloninggonewrong.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	2329  

Last edited by cdh; 10-25-2007 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2007
G-force junkie

I have to say, they look so....... natural.

Bookmark This Thread