Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 08-28-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: Improving the National Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Bastien
If I may interject. There are two separate issues.

1. Customer Satisfaction with the SBRS products and services. Surveys, if they are properly conducted [e.g., provide statistically reliable and projectable results] are the only way to go. No one wants a few vocal customers to drown out the majority of customers. Surveys can be supplemented with follow-up interviews to flesh out any issues. However, these surveys are quite expensive to run. My view is that SBRS has done a good job with surveys which are conducted after each and every race week-end. The SBRS surveys are not statistically reliable, since the respondents are self-selecting and the responses self-administered but if the response rate is in the 60 to 80% range and comprehensive, they will provide over time a pretty good answer as to customer satisfaction.
2. Then, there are focus groups, ideation sessions, customer advisory councils, whatever. This is a useful tool for management. But one has to remember that only management has the full picture, starting with all the financial metrics of the business, and its desired objectives for the business. Therefore, often a customer’s opinion is nice but not necessarily well informed nor relevant to the realities of the business. And speaking of customers’ with not necessarily well informed nor relevant views, my personal opinion is that the core target market for Skip Barber is the racing hobbyist—someone who enjoys the whole Skip Barber scene; who is looking to develop skills, enjoy the competition, and have fun. The aspiring professionals in the Nationals are just passing through on their way to something else [e.g. no repeat business], and they bring very little profits if any to Skip Barber [costs must be very, very high]. But they are an absolutely essential component to the whole Skip Barber image, a loss leader if you will. Without the Nationals, long term there is no real “racing” in Skip Barber Racing. Skip Barber [the man] went the whole way [with Barber Dodge] to establish Skip Barber company racing credentials [and apparently losing his shirt doing so]; my sense is that the current owners are trying to figure how little they can get away with. The new car is going to give us a pretty good answer as to what that is.
Impressive Dom. I clearly went to the wrong graduate school. That said, I wonder whether the whole racing enterprise - after intros and racing school - isn't close to a loss leader.
Old 08-28-2006
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Greetings!

Thank you all so much for your comments.

This thread began with interesting perspectives from some of our younger drivers, some who have driven in Nationals. Excellent ideas.

The thread took a side road into the possibility of a formal feedback method to the senior leadership at Skip Barber. As mentioned by some, there are already several methods in place for this.

--Survey
--Face to Face conversation during race weekends with said leaders
--Face to Face conversation with instructors and mechanics who then pass along the feedback to said leadership
--Letters
--Phone calls

At the end of the day, the leadership makes the calls, but I guarantee you they WANT to hear from you to help them make their decisions, and you do have at least the options listed here, and a combination of them can do a good job of getting the message across.

As for the National Series, I would still like to hear more from you all about why you think we have only a handful of drivers this year, rather than 20 to 25, and how you think we need to improve the product so that we can have that many drivers next year.

Your thoughts please.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 08-28-2006
Big Dick

I would offer that, among other things, (i) the series lacks any affiliation with a major brand and there is thus no logical "next step" (ladder), (2) the kids are normally racing without the benefit of being observed by higher level teams, (iii) the kids have virtually no interaction with higher level teams/drivers/sponsors, (iv) there are more perceived alternatives today than in the past; F-BMW is but one example and (v) the car is probably a (small) factor.
Old 08-28-2006
Running Amok.
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

I told Divi 3 years ago, that they should invite teams and potential sponsors to a weekend or two. Set up a hospitality tent and kiss their ass a bit. It would be like a job fair at a college campus.
Old 08-28-2006
Burger Flipper #2
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 4

Dr. G
I had to go to the dictionary for decathect. Good word...
For the rest of us; de?ca?thect? –verb (used with object)
to withdraw one's feelings of attachment from (a person, idea, or object), as in anticipation of a future loss: He decathected from her in order to cope with her impending death.

It is wonderful to see such passon from you guys and your interest in wanting to help. I can only see good things coming from this kind of thread and perhaps John is right. If there is some way to use TJR or perhaps a private area of TJR, or even a private area of the SBRS site, to set up this "council". Then maybe management and customers could have an easily accessible and cost effective forum to exchange ideas and concerns.
Will be keeping my fingers crossed...

Last edited by dalyduo; 08-30-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-29-2006

Gallery Images: 8

Leave it to our good friend Rob S to admit he needed to the look up the word the honorable Dr. Greist used in his post. You know, the one I can't spell in this post without looking back at the original post.

Rob I am so glad you had the decency to take the time to let the rest of us know what it meant. I was too damn lazy! You and Dr.G are sui generis!
Old 08-30-2006
Lost In Asia
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 23

This is Vinay, I've been out of the US for a while, but might be coming back soon.

So, how to improve the National Series.

I think there are two different types of people that would race the National Series.

A - Young kids looking to move up the ladder
B - Guys racing for fun that want something more than the Regionals

For A, we now have the F-BMW series, and Pro Mazda as competition. Looks like the only thing Skippy has going for these kids are lower price. For these drivers, I think the car makes little difference, the main point is the exposure, prize money and where it can take you.

For B, there is only F-BMW and Pro Mazda. Since the national cars and track are the same as regional, what's the point in paying more? Here I think SB could find a lot more racers by using a different car. Plus, these drivers are not too intereseted in always moving up every year, they just want a good deal, to race a fun car.

From a buisness prespective, I think the group B drivers are more important, since they will stick with the series as long as it is good. For these drivers, SB needs a car different from the regional car.

To attract Group A drivers, there needs to be more exposure I think, to compete with F-BMW and Pro Mazda. At the same time, modern cars like the F-BMW, Pro Mazda, Formula Renault, Formula Campus I think would help, as the R/T 2000 doesn't even feel like a race car compared to these.

As far as what I like, that is Formula Renault in Asia! Great car, F-1 race tracks, some TV coverage, RACING GIRLS all for the price near the National Series!

Have a happy. . .
Vinay
Old 08-30-2006

Vinay,

Great to be in touch again and to think you may soon return, hopefully including SBR in your plans.

Helpful analysis regarding the National Series.
Old 09-02-2006
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

This link is on the Star Mazda site, there is a ladder out there for some series....

08-22-2006 - Calling all champions. Formula Champions to earn Indy Pro Series test

Last edited by cdh; 09-02-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-04-2006

The nationals are supporting a few pro races this year, but don't receive any TV coverage. I don't know why that is; perhaps it's partly due to the small field. What about running different classes in the support race like ALMS and Rolex?
SBRS could field the National "kiddies" is the new car, the National masters in the current national cars, the regional champions (and "qualified" sportsman) in the regional cars and finally, for drivers who say the school cars are so much fun to drive, let them opt for a school car. If priced accordingly to class, the field could be huge and the slower cars would provide a lot of "passing" by the fast ones for the entertainment of the spectators. It may provide more interest for TV coverage and more interest for the egomaniacs who want to be part of the "big show" and provide dollars to SBRS; plus it would exhibit the depth of the SBRS organization.
Old 09-04-2006
Irrational National

Andrew,

Very interesting idea having a multi-class / multi-price race. Wouldn't it be neat to have a race of fifty cars? I can see steam coming out of Joe Goulish's ears at the thought, but with the right staffing level, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

TV coverage is very expensive. When you can sell advertising for a television show, the channel pays the series for the broadcast rights. When there is no advertising revenue to cover the production cost and profits, then the series pays for the production out of their pocket. In most every series other than Nascar, the series are footing the bill. That bill is beyond what SBRS can afford at the current price point.

Many on this thread have suggested television coverage. I would love it. If you have an advertiser or more who would pick up the bill (think six figures), then I'll help broker the deal and we could potentially have TV at the events the series is supporting the bigger pro races. Making it interesting is the easy part, paying for it is the hard part.

Old 09-04-2006
administrationistperson

Speed has lawn mower races on for crying out loud, I wonder how that is possible given the financing described by Bobo. Maybe Lawnboy kicks in some $$$

Last edited by cdh; 09-04-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2006
Irrational National

If you watch some of the more obscure shows on SPEED, you can get an idea of who is financing the show by watching the ads during said show.

Old 09-05-2006

SBRS has sponsors for the limited exposure they receive now.
I would think they would kick up their SBRS sponrship budget if SBRS
could offer the large field/entertaining/ multi-class, up and coming champions, "lunatics",and neophytes.
DODGE, BF GOODRICH, and QUAKER STATE OIL must be looking for ways to increase their exposure, and what better way than television. It would also increase the credibility of SBRS and attract new people to the schools and series ( that is so long as half the field doesn't crash out or cause the race to run under full course yellow.) SBRS could refuse entry to known reckless drivers and the very inexperienced. It might bruise some egos, but then again it could prove to be a major incentive to drive within ones ability.
SBRS could poll the drivers for their interest,
determine if they could or would want to do it,
and contact the sponsors (old and potentially new ones) to see if they would be interested. We know the sponsors could, they have the money!
Old 09-05-2006
Running Amok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
SBRS
could offer the large field/entertaining/ multi-class, up and coming champions, "lunatics",and neophytes.
On behalf of the Masters National drivers-- we object to the term 'lunatics'. Thank you.
Old 09-05-2006

Andy,

You're right about lunatics across the age spectrum and I expect everyone will own up to more than one lunatic moment.

Your thinking about funding for TV is neat, though I don't know enough about business to have a clue how to pursue it and bet SBR management has tried several ways. Great thoughts.
Old 09-10-2006

Sorry about using the term lunatics; I was just echoing Bobo's comments in his TV interview which I'm sure he meant as a sort of back handed compliment to the drivers in the masters series.
I meant it in the same vein. I should have put lunatics in quotes.
Hope yuo weren't seriously offended.
Old 09-10-2006
administrationistperson

Quote:
Sorry about using the term lunatics....
Well you should be, idiots, crazed out of control old farts (COOCOF), knuckleheads, anything like that would have been much more appropriate
Old 09-10-2006
Running Amok.

Quote:
Sorry about using the term lunatics; I was just echoing Bobo's comments in his TV interview which I'm sure he meant as a sort of back handed compliment to the drivers in the masters series.
I meant it in the same vein. I should have put lunatics in quotes.
Hope yuo weren't seriously offended.
Not offended... rarely am. If you ever have a choice between thinking I am serious or joking, guess joking.

that said... I missed Bobo's i/v.... what did he say??
Old 09-12-2006

I'll have to paraphrase Gerado, but he said something about the current Star Mazda field he just raced with as being nuts or something to that effect but they didn't hold a candle to the 'lunatics'
in the SBRS Masters series, refering to, as I took it, to how aggressive and competitve the masters series was and how they really have really close racing. I saw it as a compliment to the masters. He gave thanks to all his supporters, sponsors, his team and all his Skippy friends. Extolled how he loves racing in the rain, and briefly mentioned the recent passing away of his grandmother and felt that she watching from above. Very touching because you can see that he was sincere.
That's one thing that I have to say about Geraldo; he is so sincere and honest that it comes across on television as a real refreshing change from the stoic F1 guys and what almost looks like canned speechs from the rest. Bobo's enthusiasim and his love of the sport
is very apparent
Geraldo, please accept my condolence on the loss of your grandmother. May she be at peace.
Old 09-12-2006
administrationistperson

Gerardo made the Masters / lunatics comment with a huge grin and lots of frienship...goofing on us on TV, thanks Bobo, we love it! His Star Mazda - Speed interviews have been classic all season long. Look for some highlights to pop up in videos in the next few weeks... ...

Bookmark This Thread