Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 12-09-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Videos Crazy Wet Race Video

I don't know if this is new or old, but I've never seen it before. Wild!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqxdj_wetrace
Old 12-09-2006
OTB
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 19
Re: Crazy Wet Race Video

Pretty cool. Sort of looks like a Masters National race.
Old 01-23-2007
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Yes, that was a very expensive days racing, I know a number of those drivers.

Incidentally, this is my first post on these forums so just a quick intro .... I'm from the UK, trained with the Jim Russell School at Donington Park in 1990 and trained as an instructor with them in 1991. Have been working as an Instructor and Driver Coach pretty much ever since. I've mainly raced saloons but did some single-seater races in the early days as well as some stage and road rallying. Over recent years have been mainly doing endurance racing in the UK and Europe inc. Britcar 24Hrs (Silverstone) and Nordschleife 24Hrs (oh, and a 2CV 24Hr race )

The Jim Russell school in the UK is sadly no more but I now work for a number of different companies and do a fair amount of 1-to-1 driver coaching. Surprised I'd not found these forums before, seems like the sort of place I usually hang out

Malcolm
Old 01-23-2007
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxUK

Incidentally, this is my first post on these forums so just a quick intro .... I'm from the UK, trained with the Jim Russell School at Donington Park in 1990 and trained as an instructor with them in 1991. Have been working as an Instructor and Driver Coach pretty much ever since. I've mainly raced saloons but did some single-seater races in the early days as well as some stage and road rallying. Over recent years have been mainly doing endurance racing in the UK and Europe inc. Britcar 24Hrs (Silverstone) and Nordschleife 24Hrs (oh, and a 2CV 24Hr race )

The Jim Russell school in the UK is sadly no more but I now work for a number of different companies and do a fair amount of 1-to-1 driver coaching. Surprised I'd not found these forums before, seems like the sort of place I usually hang out

Malcolm
Having once run a Renault Dauphine against a Panhard and a Deutsche Bonnet in an enduro at Bridgehampton in which none of the three endured, anyone racing a 2CV will feel right at home here.
I actually saw a 2CV race on our Speed channel. Some were WAY more serious than others but it looked like everyone was having fun.
Speaking of kinky racing fun, anybody up for an entry in next fall's 24 hours of LeMons? Cars must cost $500 or less so I'll only need 4 or 5 funded co-drivers to field one.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 01-23-2007
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxUK

Malcolm
Welcome to the site, Malcolm, great to have you here!
Old 01-23-2007
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer
Speaking of kinky racing fun, anybody up for an entry in next fall's 24 hours of LeMons? Cars must cost $500 or less so I'll only need 4 or 5 funded co-drivers to field one.
What, where, when?!
Old 01-23-2007
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

It's July 7th and 8th and has great potential for mischief and fun. Moxie and I have been kicking around the idea of doing it. (We'll have to chat with Old Red) Not sure this year is possible but it would be a real hoot!

Here's their web site.

The 24 hours of LeMons web site.

This is their web page synopsis.

The 24 Hours of LeMons

Return of the Real Bad Idea: 7-8 JULY, 2007

The squeal of cheap tires. The new ozone hole over Tracy. The decrepit old coots wearing fireproof plum-coddlers. In all motorsport, no event captures the need to whale on old crapcans and eat ground-donkey cheeseburgers like the 24 Hours of LeMons.

This endurance race is for cars purchased, fixed up, and track-prepped for a total of 500 bucks or less--and before reaching the grid, you'll have to survive 2007's Hippie Bike Messenger Avoidance Test, the Incontinent Rottweiler Slalom, the Marxist-Valet Parking Challenge, and similar trials. Twelve hours into the race, the car voted People's Choice (for best concept and prep) is called in and awarded a cash prize. Simultaneously, the car voted People's Curse (for being driven by the biggest moe-rawns) is called in and destroyed. At the end of 24 hours, a gala awards ceremony plies the survivors with trophies, plaques, and four-figure purses paid with canvas bags full of nickels.

Come on—you've done stupid things all your life. Why stop now?

__________________________________________________ _____

The 500 bucks does not apply to safety equipment. You can spend as much as you want on the roll cage, seats, belts, brakes and tires. They have an arbitrary judges panel that evaluates the cars and will pre-penalize you laps or time if you are violating the spirit of the event with a new or overly prepped car.

When one car was particularly aggressive nosing other cars out of the way they black flagged him and welded a bar with spikes pointing at the radiator onto the front so if he hit anything it would puncture the radiator. (clever)

It's also a claiming race. At the end they can claim any car for $500 so there's no value in building an expensive sleeper.

I believe there was an expensive overly qualified car entered by a Car & Driver contingent last year that was voted "People's Curse" at the half way point and beaten with sledge hammers before being overturned and beaten some more. Ya gotta love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
What, where, when?!
Old 01-23-2007
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

I'm in.(Sy, what's up with the minimum message lengths?)
Old 01-23-2007
Team OC/AD D

Oh Jeez... this looks outrageously fun. I'd love to do this, but it's going to take up some crazy bandwidth. I can see the obsessiveness exploding already. But I've got a GREAT idea for what car to use. If you guys are really going to do it, let me know, I'd like to help out.

Ari, there is a minimum word count to deter peeps from one or two word posts.
Old 01-28-2007
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

To use the old cliche; This sounds like more fun than a barrel of monkeys! How the heck did you run across this Pat? It's so outrageous! I mean, the whole concept of taking demolition derby cars, turning them into roadracing machines, and running them for 24 hours straight: How many teams are actually still running at the end?

Make sure you're not using a pinto with those exploding gastanks.
Old 01-28-2007

For openers, the 24 hr of lemons only runs for 13 hours. Go figure. You're right about the barrel of monkeys part, though. Hey! You can't win in NASCAR without a multi-car team. How does 'The LeMons of Team Juicy' sound? The Juicy Team LeMons?'
Are we getting serious here?
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 01-29-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer
Hey! You can't win in NASCAR without a multi-car team. How does 'The LeMons of Team Juicy' sound? The Juicy Team LeMons?'
"The Juicy LeMons!!!"
Someone take a camcorder! I can see Hollywood all over this-- move over Cannonball Run! And then there'll be the band, the soundtrack, the national tour...
(blues aficionados should remember what Robert Johnson sang about squeezing lemons... )
Old 01-29-2007

I believe you're thinking of Blind Lemon Jefferson Pig Feets Dupree rather than Mr. Johnson. Or was it Imus?

Bookmark This Thread