Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 10-08-2014
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Hello,
After owning a Corvette C6 Z06 for a while and attending the Petit Le Mans for several years with my Corvette club, I decided it was time to stop watching and start doing. I joined NASA and SCCA and started HDPE and PDX driving. I started with my Z06 and realized I was not learning much about driving except how to go fast on the straights. After my BMW got rearended I bought an 07 Mazda RX8 which has become my track car and daily driver. I run in autocross with the SCCA also, great Auto-cross car. I upgraded the brakes with Performance slotted rotors and Carbo-Tech XP 15 for track use, I also bought some after market wheels and use Falkin Azenis tires... great tire for the money.
I got a great deal at the Skip Barber 3 day racing school during this years Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta if I signed up for the October 22-24 class. My work is flexible and I have plenty of vacation time this year... so here I am at 68 signed up to learn to drive a spirited little Skip Barbar Formula 2000 machine. Very excited about it and looking at some of the U-Tube videos there will be some transition learning from a car to a formula open wheel racer...but I hear the school is awesome and the instructors are world class, so I should be fine, afterall I know the track and the raceline... all I have to do is put the car there, fast!
I work for the FAA and have been in aviation since I got out of high school in 1965. I was a crew chief in Vietnam on a helicopter gunship and the thrill of speed has never left me. I am in great shape at 68 running 3 or 4 10k races a year and on my birthday 2 days after the Skip Barber school I will running my first 10 miler in Atlanta!
I grew up in Maine and my first love as a young boy was boats. I built several hydroplane boats and raced them every chance I got, I even built a soap box for the national soap box derby in Akron, Ohio. Loved every minute of trying to get that coaster to go faster, and learning a lot on the way... especially how much fun competing can be.
Old 10-08-2014
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Re: Newbie

Have a Great Time! I came to Skippy "late" too (64-ish as I retired from USAF), but learned a lot - and there is a wealth of info here and some good folks too. After your 3 day - you'll have a better idea of your AX and PDX opportunities I bet. The 3 day starts with a little AX to warm you up and get used to the cars.

You'll be familiar with "skidding" sideways from the hydros and that will be useful if Atlanta gets wet.
Any words on you instructors? Be sure and get the shotgun seat if you can on the ride around. After 3 days - I'll bet you'll be looking for a 2 day advanced next!

Take "small bites" and as they all say "Keep your eyes up."

Cheers - Jim
Old 10-08-2014

Thanks Jim,
Great info and I appreciate the heads up! I've been looking at some skip barber racing school video and it looks like a blast plus the instruction seems top notch. Excited about my 3 Days, I'm going to Memphis international raceway for a NASA HPDE next weekend in my RX8 2 days before my race school. What track do you run at?

Dave

Last edited by The Lone Ranger; 10-08-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Add you
Old 10-09-2014
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

A bit laid up just now, and then back to working on my "fire-breathing C3 Corvette"( a NASA SU/SCCA SPO). Being in panhandle of FL my tracks will be NOLA, Birmingham, Road Atlanta (really like), Roebling Road and Sebring.
Been to Sebring 3 times, but I got "bent" at my last trip there.

BTW - did you know you can get your SCCA Full Competition License following the 3-day? There is a pass through fee, but well worth it. NASA uses the "checkride" approach to get your license. Your Track days should give you a 'leg-up."

Cheers - Jim

The iRacing Road Atlanta Tutorial is good for getting a lay of the track - but Turn 12 is not as well represented as the "Blind-Leap-Of Faith" that you'll see in the actual car. I found it a real rush on each crest.
Old 10-09-2014

Sorry to hear about being laid up, hope you are back soon. I have been the NASA Toy Run at Road Atlanta for a few years now and hope I can run in DE-4 with my completion of SBDS this month... and yes I will be looking for the advanced 2 day for sure lol.
As many times as I have around the R/A track turn 12 is still the turn of the track for me:
1. The rush you get coming under the bridge full gas
2. The look at the turn-in
3. The rush when you hit the little depression at turn in and the car compresses and shoots you to the finish line
4. Awesome!
5. My favorite place to watch a race too
6. Stay off the left side grass if wet... or you will find yourself in the wall driver side right trying to get back on the track... lots of wrecks on Friday at the Petit Le Mans... expensive lesson for those guys
The only other track I have been to is VIR, hopefully this year I will be spreading my wings, CMP and Barber are on my radar for this... maybe Sebring.
I plan on getting my SCCA comp license also... probably do a couple of 1 day races with Skip Barber series
Take care and hope for a speedy recovery... maybe see you at the track

Dave

Last edited by The Lone Ranger; 10-09-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: added day

Bookmark This Thread