Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 04-22-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Question Feed-Forward/Back

Greetings all -
Getting close to my 3 Day "Experience" @ Road Atlanta.
Its T-9 days and counting. I was wondering if there is any advice you might share?

Looking for those; "Gee I wish I had...", or, "Man - I I had only thought about..."; or, If I did it all over, I would have..."

I've got my gloves, balaclava, and the nomex long handles are on order. New mount for the GoPro clone due in this week and a few extra HDSD cards. Every day will be a bit like Christmas as "stuff" arrives.

Not looking for any deep philosophical tips, but should I re-read Bently? Spend more time looking at Flags? Or am I "over-thinking" this?
Maybe someone has a checklist of "don't forget these thisngs..."

I really am looking forward to it - just tryiong to be a good Boy Scout!

Thanks Heaps -
Cheers - Jim
Old 04-22-2013
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Re: Feed-Forward/Back

Jim

You just need to RELAX !! Big time Relax. You WILL Have a stinking BLAST! Even guys on this site who have years of racing experience have vivid memories of their 3 day. I can barely remember some of my races.... but I remember every second of my 3 day class.

I guess my best advice is to come to the first session with no preconceived notions about your driving ability. Be a Sponge and soak up every bit of information you can from the instructors. But also the other class members. The Whole experience is going to mean so much. Don't try to be smarter than the instructors..... You are not. Do engage them for stories..... They have a MILLION! Get the right front seat for the Vanarounds ..... It will help you visualize "Line" "Braking Points" and Apex.

And finally

Make sure you post a BIG Ol' story here and tell us every detail.

George
Old 04-22-2013
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
... I can barely remember some of my races.... but I remember every second of my 3 day class. George
You got that right George! So true, most fun I ever had at SB.

I'd add to George's items - your hands most definitely follow your eyes....beat this thought into your head, and try stay as far ahead of the car as possible....eyes up and ahead, very important and not as easy as it sounds.

Write down the important points of the feedback you get after each session, helps you to remember it the next time out.

So much fun....I envy you
Old 04-23-2013

Thanks guys! That was what I was looking for - really. Your words (and Oldracer's too) are very helpful. Like the idea of the ledger/log too.
And now, I can hardly wait - sounds like everything I had hoped for. Now to get through the next week counting down and finally get into it.
Thanks Heaps - and Cheers - Jim
Old 04-25-2013
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Definitely try not to over think things. I read everything I could, watched every video, etc. All went out the window within the first 5 minutes

Do try to get to the track early everyday just to breathe it all in and relax before the sessions starrt. Helped to be able to just walk around the grounds and start taking mental pictures of everything.

Steve
Old 04-25-2013

School "schedule" says 0800- 1700 (5pm). Is the facility open early enough to do a walk around (Road Atlanta - specifically)?

I plan on dropping by day prior the early "Soak-In" suggested. Wow - that makes it T-5/6 and counting. There is some rain in the forecast but that doesn't dampen my spirit. This is going to be AWESOME Fun -- I just know it!!

All my gear is in - Thanks AMAZON (32 GB SD cards)! Found my voice recorder for journal BU. Even engaged my sweetie as some-time trackside photog.

Now if I can only keep from gaining 10 pounds eating at all the fabulous places she has planned in the 4 days prior - I'll even know my suit size!!

(I hope you can tell I'm really excited about this!)

Thanks heaps - Cheers Jim
Old 04-25-2013
Diesel Demon

Taking notes from Feedback is a must do, at least for me, and it's been invaluable. So much so, I use a pocket voice recorder so I can concentrate on the Feedback (immediately, as well as later) instead of trying to listen, and scribble (CDH - it's me, Mr. Microphone ). Pay all the attention you can.

Likewise, it's only my opinion, but don't let the GoPro setup interfere with anything else. Helix can supply video as well and leave the driving to you. If you are sharing a car, and each of you are swapping cameras, that takes time.

OK, it's just advice, don't burn brain cells over it. Countdown to school, arrive with a smile on your face, because it will never leave you once you step in the car. Enjoy !

Viz
Old 04-26-2013
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Don't know about Atlanta - mine was at Lime Rock. I'd guess they have the same setup though. The mechanics are there super early so I'm sure people will be around.

I got lucky with the weather we had. First 2 days were beautiful and the 3rd gave us the opportunity to drive in the rain. Entirely different line through the corners. I was actually quite happy for it to wind up like that. During the last lapping session it was raining on one end of the track and drying out on the other.

After each session I would also suggest leaving enough time for a 2+ hour nap before dinner plans

Steve
Old 04-28-2013
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Lots of good advice here.

As CDH mentions, "eyes up" is an important and meaningful phrase you'll hear repeatedly through your training and beyond. Say yes to "eyes up" at every opportunity.

As George suggests, relax and enjoy the experience as you will likely be overwhelmed in your first baby steps learning a craft you currently have no skill set for. Be forgiving and kind to yourself when you find parts of the training difficult or challenging and be humble and help others if your the fastest learner in your group.

nyskinsfan has it absolutely right that all of the over thought prep goes right out the window when the training starts. You need to be in the moment with your ears open. It helps to have read Carl Lopez's "Going Faster" or the Bently books but you'll probably get more value from reading them after your training as you'll have actual seat of the pants references that will give the driving terms real meaning.

Tireman is the only driver who uses a recorder (that I'm aware of) and he's always the wiser for it. We are in an altered state having just stepped out of the car after driving and our ability to listen and process feedback can be limited. Recording your feedback takes the pressure off as you can listen back any time and confirm or revisit what was said. Notes are good too!

Arriving early and walking the track is a great idea both for processing the track and putting you in a relaxed receptive state of mind. If you can do it great. If you can't don't sweat it.

My advice would be to exercise regularly, eat smart and get plenty of sleep in the days leading up to your training. The days are long and you will likely feel tired each day. A nap isn't a bad idea but be careful, as some have taken a nap only to sleep through dinner hours leaving them unable to get dinner or fall back to sleep! (Doh!)

We all remember how excited we were and important it felt to be taking our 3-day training. At the end of the day it's your first step in learning a craft you'll hopefully have lots of time to learn and pursue. But even if it's the only time you ever sit in a race car, if you show up with open eyes, ears and heart you'll have three days you'll never forget at worst and three days that may change your life at best.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-30-2013
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Well, it looks like tomorrow is the day! You're getting lots of great advice here, and the only thing I'll do is reiterate the previous "relax" suggestions. I'm sure you are pretty amped up about it (you should be!), but the WORST thing you can do is go TFTS on us (Too Fast Too Soon). If you are too jacked up, and maybe you're not, but if you are, relax...belly breathe...find your happy place. A lot of guys come in and feel like they're paying a ton of money for three days of speed, and they go out and try to go as fast as possible in every session to get the most for their money, or to try to impress us, or.... Resist that temptation! Concentrate more on applying the techniques discussed in the classroom, and on being precise to the extreme. Think methodical precision. Speed will be a result of that, and you'll get much MUCH more for your money.

Above all, HAVE FUN!!!!

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith
Old 05-01-2013
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
... the WORST thing you can do is go TFTS on us (Too Fast Too Soon). If you are too jacked up, and maybe you're not, but if you are, relax...belly breathe...find your happy place. A lot of guys come in and feel like they're paying a ton of money for three days of speed, and they go out and try to go as fast as possible in every session to get the most for their money, or to try to impress us, or.... Resist that temptation! Concentrate more on applying the techniques discussed in the classroom, and on being precise to the extreme. Think methodical precision. Speed will be a result of that, and you'll get much MUCH more for your money. Above all, HAVE FUN!!!!
SO TRUE - how many times I would return to the pits JUST KNOWING I just laid down my fastest laps of the day because "they felt fast" only to be shocked to see they were among my worst times of the day. What feels fast so often isn't, what seems to be too slow and overly smooth so often nets the best times....happened to me too many times to count. Drive the track, stay ahead, THINK THINK THINK / LEARN LEARN LEARN.

Back to PFS' point, nothing spoils a fun track day like Crash Damage Reports...the worst cha-ching in racing, they REALLY suck

"CD it is expensive and we don't recommend it"

Enjoy, looking forward to hearing your reports.

Old 05-01-2013
administrationistperson

Photo Re: Feed-Forward/Back

Saw this posted on FB, seemed to fit here
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	ssfb-wisdom.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	4857  
Old 05-01-2013

Finished Day One! Awesome time. Autocross exercise then Up/Downshifting with the sequential. Damn Clutch! Still wanted to use it when UP shifting! Old habits die hard - but knocking them off. Started to get it right just in time for some lapping exercises. Good weather - great staff and instructors and making our way up the learning curve. Looking UP - and keep saying the mantra!

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement - this is GREAT! Tomorrow promices more seat time - lapping and acceleration/braking exercises.

Cheers - Jim
Old 05-03-2013
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

Ok Everybody
The needle has been inserted
The drug has been injected into the bloodstream.
The racing bug is permanently infused into the bloodstream
The Wallet has been emptied and a Permanent Smile has been affixed to the face!

Job Done.
Old 05-03-2013

Thumbs up Re: Feed-Forward/Back

George -
Oh man - oh man - you are spot on! It was all was FANTASTIC.
Thanks to all for the key pointers - LOOK High - Smooth - Relax -- be a sponge -- all good.
Got some great wet weather work - loved Road Atlanta and all the crew. I'm gonna be hooked - I know it.
It was too good to stay away!

After our first session (day 3- wet track - rooster tails - Revs limited to individual judgement - cleared to pass on the straights) one of my classmates commented, "that was the kind of rush that makes starting the day worthwhile." All I could add - "it's either this -- or sex!"

Cheers Jim

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-03-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Corrected obvious mistype.
Old 05-09-2013

Gallery Images: 5

Man, If I ever make to a three-day class (I am 30 min. from Road Atlanta), I hope I get rain on that final day! So happy for you! I only went to a one day, and it was life changing. It has been two years since my class, and I think about it every day (no joke). I troubleshoot the mistakes I made consistently (wide of apex at one, braking too late at 7) and remember what made me faster than the other guys: WOT at 11 and 12 even though you can't see, and brake later than you think at 10a, but not at the cost of 10b. I just keep going over it in case I am able attend a class unexpectedly, and probably more because I don't want to forget everything else that made the day special.

You can probably see that I am far beyond a cure, and there are certainly worse things to be addicted to, but I doubt they cost as much! Congrats!

By the way, post some videos (if you haven't already) so I can live vicariously through you!

Bookmark This Thread