Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 08-30-2005
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
Contact Lenses v. Glasses

In another thread, someone referred to wearing contact lenses while racing. Before attending the 3-Day course, I had inquired and been told by a couple of Skippy people that glasses are preferable, because a speck of dust could get under the lens and create a big problem. (Anyone who has ever worn a contact lens knows the pain that can occur when something gets between the lens and the cornea.)

At the 3-Day school, I wore my glasses, necessitating some contortions each time I had to maneuver them through the front of the helmet, under the balaclava, and over my ears. Not to mention keeping the sweat drops off of them.

Has anyone worn contact lenses while racing and had any problems from them? All it takes is one incident, but my peripheral vision is better with lenses, the lenses would avoid the hassle of fitting the glasses inside the helmet, and sweat drops and fogging would not be a potential problem.
Old 08-30-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Re: Contact Lenses v. Glasses

I wear contacts all the time racing. I only wear them for sports. Skiing, tennis, biking, ect. I tried glasses early on in racing and I found them uncomfortable, and if it rains they fog up.

Contacts are not without problems. The biggest problem I have had is in the first lap of a race I have had one contact start to fold up because its too dry. Panic blinking helps. Once the race gets going it seems OK. I found that with my older Bell helmet, if I close the vents until the race gets going this helps. My Arai you cannot close the vents. Its rarely a problem. Now that I am aware of it, I blink a lot the first few laps.

I have never had a problem with dust.I keep the shield closed. The humdity inside the helmet helps keep the contacts from drying up and folding.

Bourdais and Villeneuve wear glasses. I read somewhere that Tracy wears contacts. I know a few Skippy racers and instructors that wear contacts. Personal choice.
Old 08-30-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

I wore glasses. Hated them for all of the stated reasons.

Tried disposable contacts. Better, but not great. Then one day, a contact folded in half at turn in to the Uphill at LRP. SCARY.

One week later I got Lasik. It is awesome.
Old 08-30-2005
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

I agree with JP56. Blink a bit more early on, close the vents, etc. No probs so far!
Old 08-30-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

An odd thing happened to a fellow I was doing a little karting with last year... maybe the vibrations are not so much in the R/T 2000, however he had a lens pop out of his glasses and fall out of his helmet while lapping in his Rotax kart. After that he started wearing contacts in the kart.
Old 08-30-2005
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Lasik, best thing I ever did (and it was done between my 3 day and my 2 day, nuff said). Wore contacts for years but never racing. I can relate to the problems wearing glasses and a helmet, it sucked. Good point JP, glasses fog up

Old 08-31-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

I've always used contacts and never had a problem or gave them a thought until a practice session in May at LRP. One of my contacts suddenly became dry and shifted out of position. I was able to blink it back in but the left hander and the uphill were suddenly testing the contact patch of my contact lenses as well as my driving skills. This was particularly confounding as I'd driven all of my school days and 3 previous race weekends without ever experiencing this.

The Ahh-Hah! came when I took off my helmet and realized I'd forgotten my head sock. It's absence allowed just enough air to flow in around my face and chin at those corners to blow dry the lenses. With the head sock in place for my next session, the problem went away and has not returned.
Old 08-31-2005
GrandMasterB

Gallery Images: 57

I only wear glasses, I have no contacts. I can assure you, however, that in the rain contacts have to be better.

OLDMAN
Old 09-04-2005
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

I tried to use glasses at my 2-day school but couldn't get them to fit... So I had to run that class and my first race last October without any vision correction! Not as easy to locate your reference points that way. I finally got contacts in January and have used them ever since.

I haven't had any problems in the SB cars with them, but in karts I have had a few times where a speck of dust or dirt has flown up into my helmet and loged itself on a lense. The air deflector on the Formula Dodge does an excellent job of keeping most of the wint out of the cockpit.

Bookmark This Thread