Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 03-14-2006
Umbrella Girl
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Calling all Photographers...Advice on a New Lens...

While many other wives participate in the "Matching Gifts Program" in terms of diamonds, I myself prefer new photo equipment. (So I can photograph Michael racing some more. Hmmmm, maybe I need to rethink who this gift benefits! )

Anyway, I am in the market for a new zoom lens for racing, Nikon to be exact. The other day I fell in love with the 70-200 f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom at a Nikon event. I spoke with the Nikon rep who happened to also be a PCA member, sometimes racer and often race photographer. So he was a good one to ask. But my concern is the limit of a focal length of only 200mm. He assured me that from any corner I would be happy with 200mm but in my past experience I felt very limited by this. Right now I use a 70-300 but it is not as fast as this lense and has no vibration reduction. The 80-400 is only F/4.5-5.6. In which case I think I'd just stick with the one I have.

Should I look at other Nikon-compatible lenses?

Jon, what did you use for your Daytona 24 Hr. Pix? They were amazing!!

Robert, Jon Miller, Doug? Anyone? Help!

Sue
Old 03-16-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
Re: Calling all Photographers...Advice on a New Lens...

Hey Sue:

I am not as familiar with Nikon products as I currently am using Canon equipment. My suggestion is to think about a pro-series lens if you are looking for better low light and sharp focus at all distances. While Nikon is a great product, lenses make or break the picture. I am not sure if Nikon has two series or not. What about calling B&H in Manhattan and some other retailers to see what they recommend.

I usually look at the major sporting events to see what the pros are using. These next two weeks of March Madness NCAA College hoops is a good venue to try and see what people are using.

Sorry that you aren't getting more response. Hope all is well.
Chris
Old 03-18-2006
Infrequent Flier ;)

Sue that 70-200 is rated as one of the best lenses there is. Take a look at this site for lens reviews: http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html - specifically this http://www.naturfotograf.com/AFS70-200VR_rev00.html

If I had the $ to buy a new lens right now, the 70-200 is the one. And remember, it is not a DX lens so its effective range with your D100 is 105-300... and at f2.8.

What I recommend you do is rent a lens and give it a test drive, heck, rent a couple and look at what you get from them. That is one good thing about camera equipment: easy to rent and use to evaluate what you want without laying out all the money.

Hope that helps.

Robert
Old 03-19-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Robert speaks the truth Sue. This is very good advice.
Old 03-19-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Hi Sue!

I told you I would find my info sheet! Here are the specs from the camera and lenses I used for two summers (they worked great):

Camera
Fuji FinePix S2Pro w/ Nikon F Mount
FCC ID: F5GFP-S2PRO
No. 33A10329

"Normal"/Regular Lens (for head shots and other close work)
ASpherical IF 28-200mmD (no brand name listed, but I think it's Nikon)
062 Sigma Compact Hyperzoom
28-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 macro

Big Lens (for all action and distance shots)
Nikon VR ED ø77
AF VR-Nikkor 80-400mm 1:4.5-5.6D

Both of these lenses switch out really easily with the camera and, though a little heavy, give great results. And we carried everything around in little yellow Pelican-type boxes (they look like the plastic case you'd put a power drill in). And the camera and lenses are all pretty durable, too.

Hope this info helps, Sue! Let us know what you end up choosing.
Old 03-28-2006
Infrequent Flier ;)

Any news on the lens decision Sue?
Old 03-29-2006
WB RCD Retired at 22
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

If it's not too late...

Nikkor makes some of the best lenses out there, however I think that you will find 200mm limiting. If you want to get good shots of the cars on track you will have to go longer (I usually use short lenses in my work so I'm not entirely sure what to recommend here, plus don't forget to factor in the distortion changes because of the digital chip) and get a monopod, it will help! Really. For my two cents, (I'll send an invoice) think more in terms of a lens for on track and a different lens for paddock etc. shooting and then you won't find your long lens so limiting. Also rember that all long lenses have narrower apertures because of the lens construction, so the fact that it won't open up as much is to be expected. Finally, you could also buy the 200mm lens and get youself a tele-extender and just double (or so) its power, those work as well as longer lenses. They also take up less space than one whole other lens.

Last edited by sydude; 03-29-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2006
Infrequent Flier ;)

Good idea on the monopod! A worthwhile purchase when shooting with a telephoto lens.

Yet, with an aperture of 2.8 throughout the entire range, the 70-200 is a great lens. I understand why 200mm seems limiting, yet remember, with a Nikon DSLR it is effectively 300mm.

It depends where you are, too.

Last year I shot at LRP and Mt-T with a 300mm and the 18-70mm DX. Now at a Skippy event, as both were, I had the freedom to get as close as I dared so long as I remained behind the fence. So there were naturally spots where the 300 was too close, and where the zoom was not close enough. The 70-200 would have done well in those situations.

It all depends too what the desired result is. If shots with the entire car in them are the aim, then the 70-200 will do well.

This is a shot with the 18-70 at LRP (at 18mm):

This is a shot from the same spot with the 300mm

Come to think of it, Sue, VR is not that big of a deal when shooting races... particularly when shooting with a fast lens.
Old 03-29-2006
WB RCD Retired at 22

Sad how young I am and yet still don't use cameras with auto focus much less VR! All I can say is that my little Sweedish beauty married to the Geraman has my heart.
Old 03-30-2006
Umbrella Girl
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

well, i thought i had made up my mind until i went on here and started reading the posts! ack! robert, i knew you'd come through with great information.

my kids very generously gave me a gift certificate for my bday last week for "a lens of my choice." dang, they must have had to dig deep in their piggy banks to get all that change together!

the big reluctance is the 200mm limit! so i went back to my pix from some recent racing to see at what focal length i'm really shooting...am i using the full 300 all the time? and yes in fact, i am shooting most of my tight shots at 270-300!

the other reluctance is money. and the reality is that my husband could spend the equivalent of this lens in 1.2 seconds in turn one at Lime Rock while i could have years and years of fun with this lens and proudly show my work. though sometimes i wonder if he's not proud of all that crash damage!

yeah, yeah, i know i post like a girl...i AM a girl!

but what abe says kind of brings it all home...by definition you are not going to find a lens that has a super long focal length and a gigantic aperature.

ah, what the hell! i think i'll order the dang lens and if all else fails, i'll sell it on ebay!

thanks for all of your advice everyone!

sue
Old 03-30-2006
WB RCD Retired at 22

So what you really need to do is get the 200 from your kids. AND get a long one for on track action from the racer boy.
Old 03-30-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

pipe down Abe....
Old 03-30-2006
Infrequent Flier ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRCD
So what you really need to do is get the 200 from your kids. AND get a long one for on track action from the racer boy.
Good thinking!

And call me before you sell on eBay - lol

R
Old 03-30-2006
WB RCD Retired at 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
pipe down Abe....
Well that check never cleared...

Bookmark This Thread