Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 07-24-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Star Mazda in Portland

After the up-and-down weekend in Salt Lake I found myself in the back of a rental van with several of my teammates driving through America's northwest. For those of you who have never been there it's a beautiful blend of flatlands, rolling hills and awe-inspiring mountains. We stopped at a rest stop along the Columbia river and I felt like I was in an American tourism commercial, with trucks and truckers and Harleys and bikers. Travelling and seeing things like that is one of the major perks of being a racecar driver.

We got to Portland on Monday and the entire team had Tuesday off, I played golf near at the track with one of our mechanics. It was the first time I had played since the Skippy outing last summer (is that happening again this year?), but I got to about the 15th hole before I lost my last ball.

After our performance in Salt Lake I was excited to get into the track, and was slightly perterbed when I saw I was 19th in the first session. "No problem, the times for the first session of the weekend are always a throw-away." Indeed it was, I became more comfortable with the track and managed 9th. Great way to end the day, and I felt confident that we would be in the top 10 all weekend.

Exept for the 2nd session on Friday, I was right. Qualifying 8th, I felt I had finally pulled my head out of my ass and was able to drive with a clear mind. On the grid, it was nice to be able to count the cars in front of me on one hand. They had a strange deal on the first lap of the race where we wouldn't be running the notorious Festival Curves, and I began wondering where I would brake for Turn 1, about 20-30 mph faster.

I had a slightly below average start, and started looking for a hole to move up through. Left? nope, right? maybe there... nope, back left, there it is! I moved to the left edge of the track and opened up my eyes to look for how close T1 was. Herrington's car in front started slowing down, a flame popping from his pipe. I hit the brakes. Carrio started to turn, a big red wall blocking the right side of the track. Great, how am I going to get out of this one? I immediatly turned left onto the grass, anticipating his momentum carrying him outside and the wave of cars going left to avoid him. THUNK, Gomez must have hit me. After I corall the car back on track I look in my mirror. My right wing end-plate is bent, exactly like it had been a week before when Scuncio bumped me on the start. I shaked the wheel and everything felt fine. "HAHAHAHAHA I DID IT AGAIN!!!" I yelled over the radio so the team would know I was ok. One, two, three, four, five cars ahead. I'm in 6th. As we pass through the wreckage, Varsha's out, Gomez out, Walker my teammate is out, Herrington, poor guy, is out. Hmm, Bobo's right-rear has an aweful lot of positive camber.

We finally go green and I immediatly pull away from Skerlong. I can concentrate on attacking Bobo. I hear over the radio "you're faster, you're faster," but I can't muster up enough to get past. Come on Charles, it's all you. Bunker's no faster than Gerardo and you can get past him too. Slow in, patience, fast out. Stay in his draft, not quite enough? Ok, set it up for the front straight.

Another yellow. Come ON! This is supposed to be a professional series, can't these people keep their cars on the damn track?!?

Green again, another poor start. I need to work on those. Bobo gets too greedy on the power exiting the Festival Curves and slides wide. Here it is! I stay tight and pull 1/2 alongside. He doesn't care and uses the entire track-out. I'm right here buddy, and I'm not going anywhere. One misstep, one little moment and you're all mine. He gets loose again coming onto the back straight, but I'm too far behind. Same thing on the last turn, this time I'm close enough to make a move. I hammer it and tuck in his draft. Closer, closer, *shift* closer, I pull alongside, WE-BE-BE-BE-BE-BE DAMMIT!! I hit the rev limiter hard. Fortunatly it doesn't kill momentum and I get by easily under braking.

I refocus my sights on Rob Bunker, now 3 or 4 seconds down the road. My tires are mostly used up by now and I begin having trouble closing the gap. With 5 minutes left I back it down to 9/10ths and consolidate 5th place.

It felt great to finish in sight of the leaders. The team has worked incredibly hard and I'm glad I was finally able to deliver them a decent performance.

It was also unbearably HOT. On Friday during the second session I had to sit in the pits while my team changed springs, and it was 118 degrees. I felt like I was going to combust. Raceday was mercifully cloudy, but it was still in the mid-high 90's if not higher.
Old 07-25-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Thumbs up Re: Star Mazda in Portland

Well done Charles. You've really been improving steadily the past few weeks. Very impressive performance. Congratulations!
Old 07-25-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: Star Mazda in Portland

Way to go, Charles!!! Great to see you up there.
Old 07-25-2006
Running Amok.

Charles... getting stronger as the year goes on.... hmmm... sounds like last year! Way to go!

Must feel awesome to spank Bobo, huh?!
Old 07-25-2006
OTB

Gallery Images: 19

Am I the only one somewhat (make the really) uncomfortable with the mental image of anybody "spanking Bobo"?
Old 07-25-2006
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Charles drove a great race. Best driving I've seen him do. I had an okay race, but made mistakes, as Charles describes, and he had his shot. Enjoy it while you can buddy!!

Nice job Charles.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 07-25-2006

Gallery Images: 8

Nice job Charles. Great description. Wish we could be at the level you and Bobo are driving. We are all proud of you guys! Keep at 'em!

By the way..Can't fledgling race car drivers afford more than one golf ball?
Old 07-25-2006
Tire Pariahrometer
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Great performance Charles! You're a fine example for the instructor staff to use as an model of effort eventually equalling results. Keep at it and give our regards to your dad.

Carl
Old 07-26-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Hey Charles! Huzza Huzza!

I remember last year at Mid-Ohio when you gave Gerardo a good run for his money. Afterwards he jokingly said he should have charged a thousand for that "lead and follow."

Great driving, guy!
Old 08-09-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Yes, right after the Champ Car Tracy/Tagliani boxing match.

Bookmark This Thread