Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 09-08-2011
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Radio Communications Question

Good afternoon. I did S.B. a few years ago (3 day, 2 day, Car control, and 1 race). After that I've been relegated to go-kart racing, which is great. I'm a regular customer of Johan Schwartz's Endurance Karting which holds events at Lime Rock of all places. I'm sure many of you have heard of it.

The problem is when doing a solo 1.5 hour race, I have NO IDEA where I am in the race or who I am racing for position. I want to get some radio communications set up where a friend can wear a headset and report to me where I am in the race while I'm driving.

So I figured you people might know a bit, and have experience with this sort of stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions or know how to best go about doing this. Also, does anyone have experience with custom earpieces (like someone squirts something in your ear to take an impression).
Old 09-09-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Radio Communications Question

Racing Radios makes a 99 dollar microphone and connector kit that's worth investing in if you have your own helmet. It's high quality and built to withstand the rigors of racing as is all their stuff. They also make semi custom earbuds that work better than foam earbuds and cost less than custom earbuds. For karting you can probably get away with inexpensive walkie talkies. Motorola, Cobra and others make rugged units that should have the range for any karting venue.

The situation you describe only requires info in one direction. In that scenario you could hook up a walkie with earbuds in your helmet (walkie attached to kart seat or your helmet with earbud wire plugged in) so you can receive time and position info at agreed upon intervals or whenever you signal for it.

I'm sure others will have good suggestions. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

also search forums for threads about it, there are several good ones
Old 09-12-2011

Is there anything stopping someone from...

getting a headset with a microphone and screwing with race team radios?

I know fans can listen in with scanners, but whats stopping someone talking over their radios (like that guy in the fantasy Nascar commercial talking to Clint Boyer) besides the fact that its not cool. With all the people at each race, you would think theres got to be a few drunk/stupid fans who would actually do this every race.

I actually heard Danica Patrick complain about someone doing this in one race. But that doesn't answer my question. Did that fan had to hack something, or is it really that easy?

Old 09-12-2011

Thank you for talking the time to answer my question. But that left me with even more questions. A couple things.

I definitely want a microphone and earpieces in my helmet. I have my own helmet.
I want the other person to have a headset.
I need to have 2 way communication.

-What exactly does the microphone/earpiece helmet kit connect to (if not a walkie-talkie)?
-Can a microphone connect to a walkie-talkie?
-Does the helmet kit (as seen on RacingRadios) connect to a walkie-talkie?
-Can a full headset with microphone connect to a walkie-talkie?

Thank you.
Old 09-12-2011
Grand Master

- The microphone/earpiece connects to a two way radio. We use hand held Motorola units that have pin plugs for headset/microphones. I'm sure the inexpensive walkie talkies have earpiece or headset outputs...

- Not sure on the microphone input option with inexpensive walkie talkies. You'd have to check with the various manufacturers to find out what's possible.

- It should if the walkie has a mic input and you have the right cables and connectors for it. Again check with manufacturers.

- Same answer as above. Depends on the walkie, if it has the right connectors and you have the right connector/cables.

It would be worth calling Racing Radios and asking them about what you want to do. They may have an affordable option I'm not aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousepad View Post
Thank you for talking the time to answer my question. But that left me with even more questions. A couple things.

I definitely want a microphone and earpieces in my helmet. I have my own helmet.
I want the other person to have a headset.
I need to have 2 way communication.

-What exactly does the microphone/earpiece helmet kit connect to (if not a walkie-talkie)?
-Can a microphone connect to a walkie-talkie?
-Does the helmet kit (as seen on RacingRadios) connect to a walkie-talkie?
-Can a full headset with microphone connect to a walkie-talkie?

Thank you.
Old 09-12-2011
Grand Master

Re: Is there anything stopping someone from...

This question should be in the other thread you started with 2 way radio questions Mousepad. I'm going to merge them...

First you have to know the frequency of the channel being spoken on and then have a two way radio you can program to that channel.

Doing that would get you banned from most facilities as it's disruptive to both team and driver and could be a safety issue as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousepad View Post
getting a headset with a microphone and screwing with race team radios?

I know fans can listen in with scanners, but whats stopping someone talking over their radios (like that guy in the fantasy Nascar commercial talking to Clint Boyer) besides the fact that its not cool. With all the people at each race, you would think theres got to be a few drunk/stupid fans who would actually do this every race.

I actually heard Danica Patrick complain about someone doing this in one race. But that doesn't answer my question. Did that fan had to hack something, or is it really that easy?

Last edited by dalyduo; 09-12-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Another option is Speedcom outside Orlando, FL.
Old 09-12-2011

Thanks again. I am looking up the walkie-talkie thing.

You know, this might sound stupid, but I've actually considered using cell phones. Last year I actually bought 2 wired phone headsets and was going to try it but had some trouble setting some things up in time for the race so I abandoned the idea. If worse comes to worse, I might try that again, but I'm looking for something a little more professional. If I can get that helmet kit and combine it with a walkie-talkie, that would be super.

From what I understand, the average over-the-ear headset
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-way...#ht_3855wt_977

plugs into the average walkie-talkie
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT100...5823912&sr=8-2

BUT you have to have this wire (connects heatset to walkie-talkie)
http://www.racingradios.com/product_p/rdh-950c.htm

Last edited by Mousepad; 09-12-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Bookmark This Thread