Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More
View Poll Results: Which is the best racing movie ever?
Grand Prix 14 45.16%
Le Mans 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2006
WB RCD Retired at 22
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Grand Prix Vs. Le Mans

Since the recent remasterd relese of Grand Prix, I was wondering if these two are the accepted "greatest racing movies ever" which one is greater?

For me, as a whole movie, Le Mans has great footage more togeather and has Steve McQueen.
However, Grand Prix captures something else, excitment, mood, not quite sure, in it's racing footage, that while far from a great movie as plot and lines goes for me it's the winner. Plus it has the best opening ever.
Old 06-30-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Grand Prix Vs. Le Mans

Agreed Le Mans has great footage and McQueen but there is almost no plot because there was almost no script. If you've seen the documentary about its making they shot great racing footage but changed directors during shooting because no one could find a plot in it anywhere and they were way over budget. (Like all things racing ) I believe McQueen even waived some or most of his payment to get the thing finished. McQueen wasn't a big dialogue guy and Le Mans is all about the cars.

Need to look at Grand Prix again. Don't remember it well enough but surely with Paul Newman, James Garner, and good international cast there is more service to a story line and plot. More conventional hollywood drama that isn't completely true to racing but was as close as you'd get for the time. I believe Grand Prix got both Newman and Garner hooked on racing.
Old 06-30-2006
tto-tgood

Gallery Images: 1

I would vote for Grand Prix overall, but Lemans has the best one liner "Racing is life, everything else is just waiting".
BTW Newman wasn't in Grand Prix, I think "Winning" was the movie that got him hooked.
Old 06-30-2006
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

I found them to be artful, but overly dramatic. They're not the kinds of movies that I'd like to watch over and over again, as they're not that entertaining. The movie I'd like to throw into the hat is "Gumball Rally". It's not based on a legal 'sanctioned' race, so it may be ineligible, but it does have some amazing car scenes (best one was the Daytona screaming up Park Avenue at 6AM out of the old Pan Am building, going through every light) and it's also a really fun watch.

BTW, I added these all to the Racing DVD's section.

I also added a poll to this thread, which I can upate with more titles if anyone wants. We needed a fun new one for the front page - the last one was stale.
Old 06-30-2006
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Grand Prix has the best sounds of racing engines (love those 1960's GP cars).

Le Mans has the best footage of race cars, and what cars, the 917's, 512's, 908's, 365's, etc were some of the greatest sports cars of all time, my favorites anyway.

Neither has any drama or acting worth mentioning.

Grand Prix has that catchy theme song and classic 1960's multiscreen intro........I like watching both of them as any certified car nut would. I would say I have seen both of them 10+ times (thanks to fast forward).

I remember seeing Grand Prix after begging my Dad to take me to the picture house when it opened in 1966 (I was 10).

Last edited by cdh; 07-01-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-30-2006
WB RCD Retired at 22

Paul Newman's film was Winning and it did get him into racing. McQueen was a Motorcycle guy (paied for "On Any Sunday" which is woth a see too.) As for Canonball movies my favrote was "Speed Zone" ever since I was a kid. Has John Candy too. Never seen Gumball so I guess it's not a fair shot.
Oh and "Holy shit I spawned a poll!!!!!!!!!!" Now bow to me!
Old 07-01-2006
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

It's been so long between viewings that I melded them together. Guess I'll have to revisit them all before making further comment or voting. It's an interesting comment on racing films that the only ones we can come up with are decades old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom goodhart
I would vote for Grand Prix overall, but Lemans has the best one liner "Racing is life, everything else is just waiting".
BTW Newman wasn't in Grand Prix, I think "Winning" was the movie that got him hooked.
Old 07-01-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Touched up indeed. Sy, what you are saying is pure sacriledge . It is the purest form of driving. A man, his machine, 5 a.m. Sunday morning in Paris. Using people as apexes, damn the pigeons full speed ahead, red light, what red light. And in the end he did it all for love. Tres Magnifique! Nothing staged, just testiculi (Italian translation, it was a Ferrari afterall) to the firewall and a screaming 12 cylinder.
Old 07-01-2006
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

I submit that if you pay very close attention to the audio track, you will too often hear tire noise when there should be none. No visual touch-ups, granted, but definitely audio.

Bookmark This Thread