Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 08-23-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

How to watch British Vids!?

I have foolishly purchased "Rouen Round 1962 / Brands Hatch Beat 1964" from Amazon.co.uk. It contains (or so I hear) footage of Jimmy Clark and the rest of our heroes from that decade. Of course it won't play on my DVD player because it's PAL. Does anyone know what I should get to be able to watch these vids? I realize that this may be a bit out of place on this forum, but I can think of no better people to turn to than my friends on the TJR network. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2007
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: How to watch British Vids!?

Off the top of my head:
A PAL compatible player
A DVD player that plays all regions (not just Region 1/US)
Old 08-23-2007
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

The DVD itself is not PAL or NTSC, but it is probably region locked. I'm guessing that the DVD is region 2 coded. As cheekychica said, you need an region-unlocked player. You might have better luck finding a permanently or temporarily unlocked player on a PC.
Old 08-23-2007

I'd jsut rip the disc and then burn it without a region code.
Old 08-23-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

some info I found -

One of the mostly spread rumours is that if a DVD player is region free or code free, it will play both formats of DVD: NTSC and PAL on your NTSC TV monitor.... This is not true.

the answer is:
Picture format or display system (i.g. PAL, Secam, NTSC, etc.) is the set of technical specifications in which a monitor displays the video signal. Therefore, your DVD player has to deliver the output video signal exactly in the format in which your monitor works (and the DVD region has nothing to do with it).

DVD region, in turn, is simply a program which helps to recognize from what region of the world a DVD film comes. It is often referred to as "DVD region locking system". Most North American DVD players are programmed to read region 1 and NTSC format only..... Thus, even if your DVD player is able to read the region of your DVD film, it also has to read the picture format / system in which the DVD is encoded (NTSC or PAL) and eventually output the signal to your monitor in NTSC format (this is done only by multisystem DVD players).

Therefore, a region free DVD player, working in NTSC system only, is not sufficient to read a PAL DVD film and convert it into NTSC signal.

Only DVD players which are both: multisystem ( PAL to NTSC / NTSC to PAL) and region free can read any region and any picture system signal in which the DVD is encoded and then convert it into the signal required by your TV monitor (NTSC or PAL). That is: processor of such a DVD player can convert the PAL signal from a PAL DVD into NTSC signal and output it to your NTSC TV monitor. End of the story.Your North American TV system will correctly and happily display such a signal!

a site with NTSC conversion info

When you explore the DVD, what are the extensions of the large files?

Here is another website with conversion info

Last edited by cdh; 08-23-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-23-2007

What a dumbass I am. I guess the popularity of US DVD's worldwide has made it common to have multiformat DVD outside the US. Too bad that's not the case in the US. I just always ASSumed that the display format was not inherently encoded into the DVD data. Learn something new every day.
Old 08-23-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Wow, thanks! Actually am checking in from work now and don't have it in front of me, but had only tried putting it into my DVD player. It was advertised as "all regions" but of course was PAL, while I have a normal NTSC American TV set. Have to check out those sites tonight. Much appreciated!
Old 08-24-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

The following site has far more information than any of us will ever want (well, maybe CDH can benefit from it), but it is a useful site to know about if you or someone else really needs to know the details about DVDs. http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
Old 08-24-2007
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 122

try an Xbox or playstation. They are formatted to play all forms of dvd's.
Old 08-24-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsutherland
try an Xbox or playstation. They are formatted to play all forms of dvd's.
THAT is an interesting idea, if you try it pls let us know results

Bookmark This Thread