Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions
View Poll Results: Medals or Trophies?
Medals 2 15.38%
Trophies 11 84.62%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2011
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Medals vs. Trophies

There has been some discussion recently about the awards we present to the winners at the race weekends. Some people like the medals and some would prefer an actual trophy.

I want to give you guys something that will make you walk away from the race weekend feeling like you really accomplished something. So...(insert drum roll here)....here is a poll!

You can either just vote and not comment or provide feedback with your vote. Just note that feedback will help my case with whatever we decide to do.

Thank you guys and I really do appreciate your help in this matter
Old 11-23-2011
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10
Re: Medals vs. Trophies

Personally, I like a variety of different types of awards. Medals are great; trophies are great. It's nice to mix it up once in a while. Just to revisit some history for those interested, here are some shots of trophies of days gone by. It would be fun to see other trophies that SBRS has given out over the years, if for no other reason than to give Diana an idea of what was done in the past.
Pete
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0155.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	4507   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0157.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	4508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0160.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	4509  

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith
Old 11-23-2011

Oh I like the wine bottle!

I will take all suggestions guys and gals
(and it would be cool to see some of the past awards we've given out, I love racing history, ha ha ha!)
Old 11-23-2011
Skippy Instructor

Yeah, that was pretty cool. It was from a race at Willow Springs in 1994. Kris Wilson drove the "pace Harley." The label is actually sandblasted into the glass.

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith
Old 11-24-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Thanks for asking Diana... Appreciate your interest.

Love the wine bottle... and the acrylic blocks with track maps... Very cool. Have never seen those before.

When I came up 8 years ago conventional trophies on black bases were standard practice. They looked nice on a shelf but were a pain in the butt to travel with. If you were fortunate enough to be on two podiums and also be fastest master you'd have four boxes of considerable dimension to fit in your already overstuffed gear bag. From Diana's end the logistics of dragging cases of trophies around to each race weekend were also formidable.

For the above mentioned reasons the trophies were changed to relatively flat engraved faux silver platters that fit in luggage more easily and took up much less space when transported in bulk. The platters were a lot more difficult to display because of their size and lack of base.

Finally the ultimate space and weight savers are the medals currently used. I like the medals for both aesthetic and practical reasons but they don't display well at home.

I'd vote for a return to those acrylic blocks with track maps if the costs were practical. They're flat, practical and look good everywhere.

Last edited by dalyduo; 11-25-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I prefer large amounts of cash in the form of check, money order or greenbacks!

Thank you for asking Diana. I like the real trophies with the marble base. They are substantive and have a better display capability. For the amount of money and time we spend the trophy should be commensurate with our effort.

I have many of the plates and most have tarnished beyond recognition. I suspect they are cheap radioactive pot metal with poorly applied silver like coating of some sort. Worst we ever had.

While the medals are slightly better they a hard to display as DD states.

The travel factor is really a non issue for me. For me the "how do I get it home?" issue is no big deal. My best weekend of wins resulted in 3 large trophies a few years back at Sebring. All i did was stop at walmart on the way to the airport and buy a cheap duffel bag to carry them in. They were great conversation pieces as I went through security! The wine tasted really good in them as well! Ohh noooo!....I hope the cups were not the same metal as the plates
Old 11-24-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer View Post
I like the real trophies with the marble base. They are substantive and have a better display capability. For the amount of money and time we spend the trophy should be commensurate with our effort.
I have many of the plates and most have tarnished beyond recognition. I suspect they are cheap radioactive pot metal with poorly applied silver like coating of some sort. Worst we ever had.
Those marble base trophies, I think SB bought a freight car worth of them in 2003 or so (times were tight then also), took forever to give them all out. They were low quality (cheap), casting ridges at all seams, etc. but at least they had some heft to them.

Tarnish - the plates I got at WGI 2010 haven't tarnished at all, which is good as they are my most cherished. The large GM Champion trophy I got at the banquet tarnished on the drive home (no heft whatsoever, cheapo), it is impossible to keep shiny, and that's a bummer because it is the (2nd) most significant. My point is whatever you decide on, I would suggest going for a higher quality level.

Thanks Diana
Old 11-26-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Agree that these are in many ways lifetime achievement awards for us, the focal points of memories, conversations, stories that we hope to share for years. Therefore quality, displayability, and a lasting appearance are essential. One of my largest trophies came from the cheap "tarnish on the way home fall apart" batch too-- the cup became quickly brown and the handles fell off-- I can no longer display it, it looks terrible. Hardly a "trophy."

A trophy on a base displays best, I think.

I never had trouble getting a trophy home. It meant I had had a great weekend and lugging that thing around just prolonged the pleasure. And yes, great conversation in the airplane, as I believe in displaying trophies prominently from the get-go. "Are you really a race car driver?"
Old 11-28-2011

All great feedback guys!

I do like the glass plaque thing, those are pretty classy. I'll do a price check on them and see if we could pursue that option.

But I was also looking at what is called a "mini-trophy". It's basically a cup on a base but it's more of a travel sized version standing around 6-7 inches tall. What do you think of that option?
Old 11-28-2011
Skippy Girl

Gallery Images: 1

What if SBRS had a program set up at a trophy shop that allowed each winner to pick their own prize? Each placing would earn X amount of award credit. The winner can choose between plaques, trophies, silver plates, or medals. The trophy shop can have basic templates set up for each event that can be added to any award. SBRS may be able to negotiate free shipping to individuals eliminating travel issues. If a winner wants to upgrade to a higher quality prize (silver plating to sterling, plastic cup to metal, ect) they can bank trophy credits or pay the additional charge.

I remember when I was in charge of handing out trophies, some racers didn’t want their trophies(most were second place, third place, and master prizes). Some racers may decide that they would prefer to order awards only for wins and some racers may not even choose to redeem credits for prizes. This system could save SBRS money in the long run as well as give racers the prize they want.

The shop should have 4 basic sets of prizes for easy ordering and each placing credit should be enough to cover the basic prize types:

FIRST PLACE Credit
Basic Large Trophy
Basic Large Plate
Basic Large Plaque
Basic Gold Medal

SECOND PLACE Credit
Basic Medium Trophy
Basic Medium Plate
Basic Medium Plaque
Basic Silver Medal

THIRD PLACE/Masters Credit
Basic Small Trophy
Basic Small Plate
Basic Small Plaque
Basic Bronze Medal

Drivers would pose with prop trophies in podium ceremony after the race then receive a print out of award credit that contains the event name, placing, award credit amount, and instructions on how to order award from the trophy company. After each race SBRS staff sends the trophy company a list of driver’s names and award credit amounts.

With the basic award structure set up the driver could call or email the trophy company to order with minimal effort. Step one: pick award type, Step two: Provide race information(Track/date/group ect) Step three: provide mailing info. Done. A driver’s name could be added to personalize the award. Another bonus is that the driver can choose to wait until season end to order awards that best suit their needs. Expiration of credits can be determined by SBRS (6/12/18 months after race weekend)

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 11-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drice View Post
All great feedback guys!

I do like the glass plaque thing, those are pretty classy. I'll do a price check on them and see if we could pursue that option.

But I was also looking at what is called a "mini-trophy". It's basically a cup on a base but it's more of a travel sized version standing around 6-7 inches tall. What do you think of that option?
Size does matter!
Old 11-28-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer View Post
Size does matter!
yo bro...

Old 11-28-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
Personally, I like a variety of different types of awards. Medals are great; trophies are great. It's nice to mix it up once in a while. Just to revisit some history for those interested, here are some shots of trophies of days gone by. It would be fun to see other trophies that SBRS has given out over the years, if for no other reason than to give Diana an idea of what was done in the past.
Pete
Quote:
Are those glass or acrylic trophies Peter? Glass might be a travel problem, I've seen some acrylic plaques from sailing races that looked really good, had a cobalt blue tint, very nice, good bang for buck, unique
Old 11-29-2011
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Are those glass or acrylic trophies Peter? Glass might be a travel problem, I've seen some acrylic plaques from sailing races that looked really good, had a cobalt blue tint, very nice, good bang for buck, unique
The bottle is obviously glass, and the other two are acrylic. The one from RA is just engraved on the back, and the one from Sebring has the graphics and text printed on a clear sheet of plastic which is actually inside of the acrylic. From the front, you can't see the plastic sheet, but if you look at it from the side, you can see the it right in the middle between the front and back like it was molded right into the acrylic. Don't quite know how that's done, but kind of cool.

Old 11-29-2011
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Hi Diana... As there's no way you would know this... JuicyGirl...Ashlei was a Skippy hospitality person extraordinaire when I first started 8 years ago who, after working for SBRS, went on to event coordinating for many of us who tried enduros, stunt driving and other fun automotive based events. No one was better at both coordinating and creative trophy design than Ashlei. One of my favorite trophies is her creation for a group of four Skipite driven Miatas that went to The Charge of the Headlight Brigade at VIR. The Headlight Brigade trophy was a clear acrylic piece that looks as good today as it did four years ago.

While size may matter. in my book quality is more important. I've got a couple of big trophies that are impressive at 15 feet away, but upon close inspection embarrassingly reveal they are ONLY designed to impress from a distance. High quality will always be more lasting and appreciated.

I like Ashlei's "order your own" idea. Also like your idea of a glass or acrylic based trophy. (Acrylic is cheaper, more practical and looks as good or better in my humble opinion.) They would be a refreshing change if they're affordable. The tricky part is, for the money we pay there should be a good quality award to those who achieve. Nothing wrong with paying for higher quality or larger size if that is important to you but you also don't want to send the message that you don't get a quality award without paying extra if you achieve a win or podium.

Our dear friend Sid Brenner used to say, "If you want a trophy... go buy one... 'Cause it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to get one doing this!" And Sid was right. If you're doing it for the trophy you're doing it for the wrong reason. However, if you do work hard enough to get on the podium and/or win a race it is right and correct to have a proper reminder of that accomplishment years later when you've moved on or given it up. That's when the quality will make a difference.

Here are a couple of pics of the acrylic block from VIR. High quality graphic of the Miata and lettering beautifully etched. Not suggesting this particular size or shape, just illustrating how nice the computer generated drawing and fonts are. I sat it in a dark chair so the lettering would pop in the picture. One with flash and one without.

Jim Craige gets more than half the credit for this. We finished P2 in our SSM category and P1 among our group of 4 Skippy driven SSM Miatas. A memorable 13 hours for sure.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge

Name:	IMG_3510.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	4513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3507.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	4514  
Old 11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
yo bro...

ok, Ok, there is such a thing as too big....I guess!
Old 11-29-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Thanks for asking Diana... Appreciate your interest.

Love the wine bottle... and the acrylic blocks with track maps... Very cool. Have never seen those before.

When I came up 8 years ago conventional trophies on black bases were standard practice. They looked nice on a shelf but were a pain in the butt to travel with. If you were fortunate enough to be on two podiums and also be fastest master you'd have four boxes of considerable dimension to fit in your already overstuffed gear bag. From Diana's end the logistics of dragging cases of trophies around to each race weekend were also formidable.

For the above mentioned reasons the trophies were changed to relatively flat engraved faux silver platters that fit in luggage more easily and took up much less space when transported in bulk. The platters were a lot more difficult to display because of their size and lack of base.

Finally the ultimate space and weight savers are the medals currently used. I like the medals for both aesthetic and practical reasons but they don't display well at home.

I'd vote for a return to those acrylic blocks with track maps if the costs were practical. They're flat, practical and look good everywhere.
Yada Yada Yada. YOU CAN, LIKE, DRINK THE WINE!!!!!
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 11-29-2011
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Hey Folks,

As someone new to racing, but old to competition, I'd just like to pass along my thoughts. I've been a nationally ranked tennis player and have played at all levels. I've received plates, cups, plaques, and medals. By far, the one I prefer the most is a good, old-fashioned trophy on a base. Plates are cool to, because you can put them on a stand. The one I preferred the least was a medal. You just can't display them very well. In tennis, I was expected to win, so the idea of transporting a trophy home was just part of the packing. Since my entire racing career spans about six months, and my drive to compete is off the charts, if I were to get a podium, I would literally throw out half of my suitcase to make sure it fit! So, I don't think trophy transport should even be an issue.

On a slightly different note, I really think that if SB has two distinct point series, then it should have two distinct podiums. Finishing second or third in Masters in a race that is likely half Ms and/or GMs is quite an accomplishment, and it should be recognized. Anyone who nows anything about competition knows that those tangible tokens provide targets for goals and success. Get a podium... get second... win a race... get a regular podium... and on and on. Each is a stepping stone.

I absolutely love racing, and I look forward to more competitions and comradery.

Bobby
Old 11-29-2011

I like JuicyGirls idea of having everyone place an order for their own trophy, however, I know how unhappy some of the drivers were this year when I had to take back their faux podium trophies because we had mix ups. I will keep this idea on file though (seriously, I will) for future reference

One thing to keep in mind with the trophy on a base thing is that we give those away at the end of the year banquets for the championship winners. I wouldn't want it to be less special because it's similar to the ones we have been giving out all season, you know?

The more I'm looking at it and the more I'm hearing feedback on it, I like the plaque (either acrylic or glass) idea. Glass is pretty inexpensive but has a higher risk of breaking when traveling or transporting to races. If you guys are all cool with acrylic I will be more than happy to look into doing something along those lines.

Quality is very important to me. I don't want to give away something that looks cheap because I wouldn't want to receive something that looks cheap myself. However, I do have to keep my budget in mind (boo). That being said, I'm sure there are higher quality, colored, inexpensive options I can explore with the plaques. Maybe I can even work a slight barter deal into it, ha ha ha!
Old 11-29-2011
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
The more I'm looking at it and the more I'm hearing feedback on it, I like the plaque (either acrylic or glass) idea. Glass is pretty inexpensive but has a higher risk of breaking when traveling or transporting to races. If you guys are all cool with acrylic I will be more than happy to look into doing something along those lines.

Quality is very important to me. I don't want to give away something that looks cheap because I wouldn't want to receive something that looks cheap myself. However, I do have to keep my budget in mind (boo). That being said, I'm sure there are higher quality, colored, inexpensive options I can explore with the plaques.
If it comes down to a choice between acrylic or glass and the price is close, I think glass is the way to go. It just looks like higher quality because of the crispness of the cut edges, it's got a great feel when you pick it up because of its comparative heft, and it won't scratch as easily. It just feels like quality.

And I wouldn't worry about breakage traveling home from a race weekend. A chunk of glass like that is pretty solid, and if it's not too huge, the guys will just roll it up in a t-shirt and pack it in the middle of their bags.
Pete

Old 12-18-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

It took a while to find this, but if size really matters:

Name:	Pete and Rick trophies 1989.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	4547

The one on the left is in his...next to his trophy case.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Bookmark This Thread