Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 11-07-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Zanardi Wins Class at New York Marathon

Moxie sent this along from Speed.com and it's just too good not to share...

INDYCAR: Zanardi Wins Class At New York Marathon

Four years after his first attempt to win the Handcycle class at the New York Marathon, two-time CART champion Alex Zanardi finally claimed victory on Sunday.

Marshall Pruett | Posted November 07, 2011

One of the most beloved racers in the world continues to inspire his fans and fellow drivers.10 years after losing his legs in a terrifying crash at the Lausitzring CART Indy car race, the competitive spirit that fueled Alex Zanardi's back-to-back CART titles from 1997-1998 was on display once again as the 45-year-old Italian won his class at the famed New York Marathon.Topping a field of 93 participants in the Handcycle category (hand-operated three-wheeled cycles), Zanardi won a tight race with Rafal Wilk, edging the Pole by just two seconds with a time of 1 hour, 13 minutes and 58 seconds."My 'mission' for this season was to accumulate points to qualify for the Paralympic Games of London 2012," Zanardi wrote on his website, and with two wins prior to claiming the victory on the streets of New York, Zanardi appears to be well on his way to earning his invitation for London next year.Zanardi, who raced in the World Touring Car Championship from 2005-2009, earned four victories for BMW before switching his full attention to Paracycling in 2010.Marshall Pruett is SPEED.com's Auto Racing Editor,covering IndyCar and sports cars. He also contributes to Road & Track and Racecar Engineering.
Old 11-07-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Re: Zanardi Wins Class at New York Marathon

Zanardi is the embodiment of determination, will, and the refusal to let obstacles derail one's life. Thanks for posting this, Pat.
Old 11-07-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Photo Re: Zanardi Wins Class at New York Marathon

Name:	az-nyc-2011.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	4497  
Old 11-07-2011
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

I had no idea he was even doing handbiking at all. He is really an incredible human, and I can't think of anyone better to look at for personal inspiration and as a guiding light for the value of life itself.
Old 11-10-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

That photo of Zanardi on his handbike is now on my desktop so I can see it every day. (Thanks, Doug.) Everything about it screams at me to live my life to its fullest.

Bookmark This Thread