Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 05-24-2005
Hey ya'll, watch this
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6
Getting a new custom seat insert poured

Ok, I will preface this with this disclaimer:

I have no idea when the next time I'll be in a skippy car is going to be (that was the disclaimer ) , but after my wreck much of my gear needed replacement:

HANS sent me new teathers and a cool "HANS saved my neck!" tshirt for free when I wrote to thank them for manufacturing a life saving product.

My suit had to be cut off of me (or so I'm told, the last thing I remember is strapping in to the car, next thing I know I'm in the hospital) so I'll replace that when I'm closer to getting back into a car.

My helmet is going to be sent back and probably just replaced altogether. It's taken a few licks and I'm sure it's structural integrity has been damaged, deeming it unsafe (since technically a helmet is only supposed to be "used" one time).

Now for the mystery peice.. my foam seat. I have no idea what happened to it. I don't know if it was damaged, though it wouldn't suprise me. I do remember that it was a pain in the ass to get made the first time. I had it made at the begining of last years southern series but only after much effort and help from another racer (a few of you might remember her, she no longer races with skip barber...). We had to drive around Sebring searching for this two part foam that the mechanics told us that we needed to make the seat.

After two days of searching and about 4 hours total of driving around we finally found what we needed and had our seats made. Joy! Made a huge difference, I'm convinced I dropped my times significantly in my first race weekend because I was so much more comfortable in the car. I was even on pace to finish P3 my first time racing (anything!) until I spun it on the 2nd to last lap (Dad: You think I'm bad over the radios now? Just be glad nobody could hear me as I was spinning out into the cow pasture THAT time!).

So my question is this: Do the mechanics normally keep this foam "stocked" now? I know not everyone who has a seat had to go through the headache that we did, but since I havn't had to make a seat since then I don't know which mechanics even make them anymore (though I'm guessing most do since it's not tough) or where to get the 2 part foam needed. I don't even remember what it's called. Help? Anyone? Hello? Bueller? Bueller?
"I'm not a fearful person. There's no feeling in the world that I've had that's like it. You're driving something that's out of control but you're controlling it. What else should I do? Plant flowers in the backyard? Go to a barbecue? I'll do that, but this rocks my world. When you get out of a race car, the grass is a little greener and the sky is a little bluer."
Old 05-24-2005
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: Getting a new seat poured..?

First of all, Jon, when you go out and get your new racing suit, make sure you buy youself a bulletproof vest, too. Oh, and buy one for your Dad, also, because when your mom finds out.... oh you're both going to get it!

Back to the seat foam- did you check with your CSR to see if the crew still has your seat? If your seat wasn't damaged, then chances are that Guy (pronounced GEE) the parts manager would have it in the trailer.

If they don't have your seat, it's most likely that Joe Goulish and the crew have seat foam at hand. They usually do. But if you want to make sure you're covered (hehehe no pun intended), you can always get some from where I got it, which has a pretty good price on it:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

You want the two-part 2lb. density urethane foam mix as you see on that page. That's the right density and volume for a seat pour. If you want to be a great guy, buy a bunch of the kits and give it to the mechanics as a present. They can then use them to make lots of seats, and make some nice $$$. They'll appreciate it.
Old 05-24-2005
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Jon,

Last year, months ahead of my first track session, I E-mailed the pit lane coordinator on how to get a seat made. He suggested a specific Skippy mechanic who would be doing them at LRP when I was there. I contacted the mechanic well in advance of my track date and he confirmed that he could do it and would have the foam mixture on hand. I also contacted him a few days before my track date to re-confirm our meeting time and that we were good to go. Those guys all work so hard I thought it easy to forget a seat pouring appt. made 2 months in advance. He hadn't forgotten and was ready for me.

I arrived at 7a and even after a couple of minor start up glitches (locating a disposable container to mix the foam in and a Skippy suit for me to wear) the seat was poured and I was in the drivers meeting on time at 8a. The seat was taped up and ready to go when I came out of the drivers meeting.

Their protocol now may not encourage a last minute production like I had but with some good basic communication you should be able to recreate your former seat insert easily.

PS. Sy posted while I was composing mine. His foam info and suggestions are on the mark.
Old 05-24-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

As for mechanics who would probably know how to pour you a seat or know who to contact, there's Keith with the Southern Series, Joey Gulish (now based in Wisconsin ), and Tommy Casey and German (pronounced hare-man) here at Lime Rock. I'm not too sure about the West Coast mechanics, as they've changed alot since I was out there, but if you can find Ricky Schmidt, he used to be one of the best at Laguna (and last I knew was in the instructor training process), and would know who could do it.
Old 05-24-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

one more thing to consider... I taped my own seat, and given my severe lack of artistic skill, it shows!

There is a guy on the West Coast that does a lot of seats for the Skippy series. He does a really nice job of finishing the seats in cloth. I think he even puts a layer of foam in for comfort. Finally, he has cut a few of the seats in 1/2 before finishing them so they are easier to transport. He uses a jigsaw type pattern so the 2 1/2's stick together in the car. Pretty slick!

I have no idea what his name is, but I bet you could find him by reaching out to one of the following... Randy (pronounced Randy) Buck, Chris Wilson, or Tim Travers.

By the way.. the price of these finished seats are the same as I paid the mechanics for mine!
Old 05-24-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

A guy named German poured one for David Greco at LR and he said to David "your lap time will improve by a second." Later that day, with his first ever custom seat, David scored second on the grid for the first NC race of the weekend.
Old 05-24-2005

That would be the same German (pronounced hare-man) I mentioned with the Eastern Series. I believe he'll be at the Glen this weekend.
Old 05-24-2005
Junior West Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
There is a guy on the West Coast that does a lot of seats for the Skippy series. He does a really nice job of finishing the seats in cloth. I think he even puts a layer of foam in for comfort. Finally, he has cut a few of the seats in 1/2 before finishing them so they are easier to transport. He uses a jigsaw type pattern so the 2 1/2's stick together in the car. Pretty slick!
That would be Jeff Rodriguez.
Old 05-25-2005
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpearson
A guy named German poured one for David Greco at LR and he said to David "your lap time will improve by a second." Later that day, with his first ever custom seat, David scored second on the grid for the first NC race of the weekend.
Did his lap time actually drop?
Old 05-25-2005
Team OC/AD D

I think almost everyone who has a seat will tell you that you will go faster. You'll be more comfortable and more relaxed in the car, as the seat prevents you from sloshing all over the place like you would without one. It makes a big difference.
Old 05-26-2005
Grand Master

I'll second what Sy said and at the risk of restating his content add:

You'll go faster because you'll relax into the seat, feel exactly what the car is doing and make consistent steering adjustments without a significant portion of your upper-body, arm and hand strength going into holding your body in place.

You don't realize how much energy goes into holding yourself in place until you don't have to. Once you’ve driven with an insert, you'll never want to drive without one.

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-26-2005 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwlorentzen
Did his lap time actually drop?
High 58s on the lapping day, down to 57.6 for Q1.
Old 07-25-2005

Gallery Images: 1

I contacted my customer service rep about getting a seat for Mid Ohio. He said they only have the equipment to do these seats at LRP, RA, Sebring and Leguna so I am out of luck. I'll make due with sheets of foam for this trip. Keep this in mind if you need a new one.
Old 07-25-2005
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

You can buy the seat foam kit online, here is one source, I didn't look far, probably lots of places online to buy it. Once you have this all you need is a lawn size plastic trash bag, some duct tape and a container to mix the 2 foam parts in.

Lay the garbage bag over the seat of the R/T (open side up towards roll hoop) and tape it in place at the front and sides of the seat. Sit on bag and have someone pour in the mix (you have to raise yourself up a bit so the foam gets down in the bag. The mix foams up around you and forms the seat insert. Stay in the car til it sets up (have current issue of Racer to read to pass the time ).

Once it's set, pull off the bag , cut to shape and tape. If you have the foam mix I'm sure there will be someone at Mid-O who can help, it's easy.

Old 07-25-2005

Gallery Images: 1

Thanks. That seems simple enough. Anyone planning to be at Mid Ohio want to volunteer to help me do this? What kind of tape do you put on it?
Old 07-25-2005
administrationistperson

I have seen as many variations as there are kinds of tape, but when in doubt......DUCT TAPE. A western tech does super nice work, covers with a fabric, very nice (Sy, name please).

I used white duct tape, made mine 4 years ago, been to hell and back, still holding together. Another thing that helps add some strength is to put some corrugated cardboard on the bottom and tape over it.

Sounds flimsy but it has held mine together...btw, mine would win the "Ugliest Seat Liner" award but it works, good for several tenths at any track, must have!

Always remember "Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together" - Carl Zwanzig
Old 07-25-2005
Team OC/AD D

The Western guy's name is Jeff Rodriguez, I think. But I just saw a site last week that sells all of the materials to let you make your own fabric covered seat. I'll try to find it and I'll post the link here.

In regards to not being able to get your seat made at Mid-O, that's a bunch of rubbish. Bring some 2 part foam (the resources to do so should be within this thread) with you to the track the day before you plan to run, and ask the crew chief to hook you up. Don't forget to give them some $.
Old 06-13-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
Question Custom Seat Inserts

How many of you guys use a custom molded seat insert?

Did you have to supply the materials to make the insert or does SBR keep a supply of the bags, beads and foam on hand?

About how much did it cost?
Old 06-13-2007
administrationistperson

Re: Custom Seat Inserts

the single most important piece of equip aside from the stuff you wear, must get one. Can buy foam at race supply stores, mechanic can pour, $100 & up depending on how deluxe it is (check out Rob Slonaker's sometime)

MUST HAVE ONE
Old 06-13-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Rosso--

If you are serious at all about your racing performance, you have to get one. My story is better than most:

During my first race weekend at Laguna Dec '05, I was running nineteen sec slower than the leader in Sportsman (yes you read that right--Revere could probably beat my time on his bike ). 2:00 vs 1:41. Abhi Ghatak told me I needed to get a poured seat to be able to feel the car, said that it would drop my time significantly. The very next day I had the seat poured before my first session of the day. The seat took 8 sec off my lap time that next session-- from 2:00 to 1:52. Even the pros use them, but especially for those of us on the early part of the learning curve, cdh is right-- MUST HAVE. Only way to stay ahead of the car is to feel what it's wanting to do right away.

I guess you can buy your own fixin's, but the mechanics usually have them. I think I paid $100 for mine, goes to the mechanics' fund. Talk to the crew chief when you get to the track. He'll set you up.

Speaking of pros, Rob you've got to post pics of your suede leather/carbon fibre easy chair. And just for comparison, JP needs to post pics of his.
Old 06-13-2007

Gallery Images: 36

Being able to feel what the car is doing is the most important reason for a seat insert, but another benefit is simply reducing the amount of effort used to stay in position while driving. Many people notice that their backs are not sore and their elbows are not as banged up when the side-to-side sliding in the seat is eliminated (or at least greatly reduced).

My guess is that every driver would protest mightily if there were a rule that prohibited seat inserts (and I'm not suggesting that there should be -- I'm illustrating the point). Be sure that the portion that will be behind your lower back is reinforced with some corrugated cardboard. That part of the foam tends to be a little thin. Your friendly Skippy mechanic (Armando did my insert) will usually take care of these details as well as starting the taping procedure and giving you a roll of racer tape in the color of your choice (as long as your favorite color is blue, white, red, or black).
Old 06-13-2007

Gallery Images: 8

OK, so I HAVE TO HAVE a seat insert. Thanks much for the input! Did all of you guys use the same type of two-part expanding urethane foam-in-a-bag? Looking at the Pegasus Racing Supply website it looks like they sell the two-part stuff plus a vacuum bag and urethane system. Anyone have a recomendation between the two types? Did all of you guys supply all of your own materials?

Last edited by Rosso; 06-13-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2007

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
OK, so I HAVE TO HAVE a seat insert. ... Did all of you guys supply all of your own materials?
The Skippy mechanic will have everything. All that you have to supply is your carcass and a donation to the mechanics (plus a tip to your mechanic who makes the insert is always appreciated).
Old 06-13-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
Anyone have a recomendation between the two types? Did all of you guys supply all of your own materials?
I personally had NO idea about what it took to pour a seat-- I just showed up and they made one for me. The mechanics supplied everything, except, of course, the bad driving. They mix 2 ingredients and pour it into a trash bag that they tape into place behind you over the seat. You sit in the seat leaning forward and as you feel the goop expanding in the bag behind your back, you are instructed to slowly lean back into the position you want to sit in. The one suggestion I have is to make sure you are in the exact position you want to be in, ie if you have back issues or there is a particular way your spine is more comfortable, make sure you get into that position and the stuff will expand to conform to you. after about 5 minutes the stuff starts to harden and further modification becomes difficult. Also if the ambient temperature is too high or low, it can affect how the stuff sets, but you should be ok in the early morning at Road America.
Old 06-13-2007
Team OC/AD D

Re: Getting a new custom seat insert poured

merged with prior 'custom seat insert' thread.
Old 06-14-2007
Grand Master

Unless you're looking to learn how to do it to make a business of it or you really like to "do it yourself", I'd pay the hundred bucks and never look back. It's a process you could spend a whole weekend on and probably more than $100 trying to get it right or you could show up and pay the same $100 to guys who do it all the time and have worked out the glitches. Next to everything else you've spent to go racing this will probably be the least expensive investment for the most dramatic improvement.
Old 06-14-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
....I'd pay the hundred bucks and never look back.
Absolutely DD....it's funny, I forgot that earlier DIY post, LOL, I would never do it myself now.....def work with a mechanic on this, well worth the few $$$$ and it helps them out.
Old 06-14-2007

Revere and I drove our entire Formula Dodge careers without seat inserts (Many real men did that back then - only JP does now). No inserts the first year or two of RT-2000s, until I crashed big at RA turn 14, probably breaking ribs when they reached the side tubing. Seat inserts since about '98 and mine is still going a decade later.

Seat inserts plant you in the car, reduce stress of holding yourself in place, and increase relaxation. Revere locked his in his road car, had to drive one race with foam and was bruised and worn out at race's end. Even more bruised by his mom when she had to drive to Fon du Lac to bring his back up car keys
Old 06-16-2007
Team OC/AD D

The 'car keys locked in the car' posts have been moved into their own discussion thread:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2284

best regards,

mr. party pooper
Old 06-16-2007
G-force junkie

see now you've messed with the flow of this story-- we're gonna have to be jumping back and forth to see what Revere actually did, because it's about more than just locking his keys in the car--anyone can do that--but it's really about the seat insert and the bruises and his mom....oh, never mind
Old 06-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands
see now you've messed with the flow of this story-- we're gonna have to be jumping back and forth to see what Revere actually did, because it's about more than just locking his keys in the car--anyone can do that--but it's really about the seat insert and the bruises and his mom....oh, never mind
Harsha,

We have to accept that some people have orderly, logical minds and behave accordingly... that's our Sy

Bookmark This Thread