Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Site Announcements, Support & Help > Site Announcements & Support

Old 08-18-2010
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
What do you want to see new or more of on this site?

It's great to see some new blood coming in lately, but it's still quiet compared to the good old days. What kind of content do you think would increase your participation (and/or participation in general) on this site?
Old 08-18-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
Re: What do you want to see new or more of on this site?

Good suggestion, Sy. In the old days, we used to have more discussions about what Skippy could be doing to increase driver interest and participation in the race series. Retention seems to be a problem, with many of the old guard (when I joined in 2005) having moved on and with too few of the newer drivers staying on board from one season to the next. Of course the current economy is to blame for smaller fields at events, but there are not many signed up for Grattan next week, and from everything I have heard it is a challenging circuit and likely to be a fun event. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Old 08-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post
Good suggestion, Sy. In the old days, we used to have more discussions about what Skippy could be doing to increase driver interest and participation in the race series. Retention seems to be a problem, with many of the old guard (when I joined in 2005) having moved on and with too few of the newer drivers staying on board from one season to the next. Of course the current economy is to blame for smaller fields at events, but there are not many signed up for Grattan next week, and from everything I have heard it is a challenging circuit and likely to be a fun event. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
who is going?
I know of no one going to this.
Old 08-19-2010

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
who is going?
I know of no one going to this.
I will be there as will THE VIZ too. At last count there were twenty-one drivers signed up for the open-wheel weekend as well as enough others for an MX-5 group. Hope we have two groups with that many open-wheels. Otherwise could be crowded.
Old 08-20-2010
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

might be there, still unsure...where are you staying?
Old 08-20-2010
Team OC/AD D

HEY! You're hijacking my extremely important thread!
Old 08-20-2010
administrationistperson

sorry Dude, realized it so started new Grattan thread, doh!
Old 08-20-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude View Post
It's great to see some new blood coming in lately, but it's still quiet compared to the good old days. What kind of content do you think would increase your participation (and/or participation in general) on this site?
Ah yes, the age-old question....well, the 6 year old question anyway. Would like to hear ideas, esp from new members. Not sure what more we can delve into, maybe doing some of the old stuff, some more photo quizzes, they usually got activity. An F1 pool generates a lot of activity, but running our own is a lot of work for someone, was always Sy's chore. Something to think about for next year....as for new ideas Skip is doing live T&S for the Nats, maybe in the future we could do a pool for the Nats? Or even the Summer/Winter and MazdaSpeed seasons. THAT might kick things up a bit...."hmmmm, if I throw this race I win the SF pool....hmmm"
Old 09-08-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 122

If you would like more participation in the site, perhaps opening it up to people who have SBRS as a common tying thread would yield more members, posts etc. When it was TJR the site name didn't imply that it was strictly for current SBRS participants. I would be curious to know how much traffic has fallen since the name swap. I for one, would be more active in the site, if it weren't only about SBRS. Personally some of the more interesting threads were about what folks were doing outside of SBRS. Jim Lowe did some neat stuff, reading Mr. Pews post about his activities were very cool.

I guess I think the site functioned better when it was about the people who had SBRS as their racing background, not about SBRS itself. The people who race, and work at SBRS are what make it interesting, not SBRS the corporation.

Craig
Old 09-08-2010
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsutherland View Post
If you would like more participation in the site, perhaps opening it up to people who have SBRS as a common tying thread would yield more members, posts etc. When it was TJR the site name didn't imply that it was strictly for current SBRS participants. I would be curious to know how much traffic has fallen since the name swap. I for one, would be more active in the site, if it weren't only about SBRS. Personally some of the more interesting threads were about what folks were doing outside of SBRS. Jim Lowe did some neat stuff, reading Mr. Pews post about his activities were very cool.

I guess I think the site functioned better when it was about the people who had SBRS as their racing background, not about SBRS itself. The people who race, and work at SBRS are what make it interesting, not SBRS the corporation.

Craig
Oh boy, can't win either way.. The reason why we changed the name was because too many people felt that 'Team Juicy' was an eastern series site, or a site based on a specific circle of people, which was not the case. We felt that changing the name the way we did would make our doors feel open to those in the SBRS community that felt excluded before.

I think what's had the biggest negative impact on this site is not the change of the name, but the general degradation of the active driver base at skippy, plus the feeling of malaise that is creeping in to the old guard. I'm not going to get into details on why, but I think many of you know what I mean. The only question is, can we do anything to help? And I mean either with this site OR with SBRS.
Old 09-08-2010
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Great to hear from you Craig and I also think the name has less to do with fall off than what Sy said about the long term customer base dissipating. Case in point, a bunch of us masters farts (Wilcox, Mayes, Ludwig etc) went to Road America and ran in the kiddy National event and had an absolute blast but there were issues that made it less attractive for a repeat in Atlanta. There needs to be a new wave of grown up customers to re-invigorate the regional ranks. Very few are running a full season any more.

None of us at Skippyforums are trying to exclude others but the plethora of social media options has made it less compelling for people who aren't doing SBRS stuff. George Clooney and I are the last humans not on Facebook and while George has his reasons I'm not on it because I'm distracted enough with all the other stuff I'm juggling in my life. From what I've observed the software makes it entertaining and fun and if I get any more distracted... Ohh look a Porsche! They'll have to embed a lojack in me to find me and bring me home.

I think the site now has a nice base of interesting old threads for new racers to review and a home for new and old to chew things over as they always have. The economic fall off really hurt enrollment in the race series and that tends to drive the social aspect as well.

Glad to hear from you though. How have you been weathering these times. Any racing?
Old 09-08-2010
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

One thing that used to drive visitors to skipbarber.com many years ago was a good press agent. Back in the day, Jim Moore and Jim Bowie in marketing believed one or two news releases per day drove eyeballs and clicks. At the time, I used skipbarber.com as my primary racing news source. It was a good combination of articles about Skip Barber events and its people, plus articles about Alumni and other related industry news. Most of the articles were written internally, which meant a full-time guy. With the severe economic downturn and related corporate downsizing, this feature no longer exists.

If we had a writer for SkippyForums who could tell the Skip Barber story, and of course, the story of drivers who have moved on, in a compelling, entertaining, or even a personal way, eventually more eyeballs might come for their daily dose of entertainment, and hopefully contribute while they visit.

Maybe we could spread the duty around, each of us volunteering to write a story about a race weekend we attend during the season, and starting a thread for each weekend.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 09-09-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

The reasons for the lack of activity on TJR has been well-stated by Pat and Sy. It is an organic result. As I see it, TJR came about when a lot of like-minded people were racing together on a regular basis. I came to the site in late 2005, towards the last couple of years of that wave, and got to experience a bit of what made Juicy "juicy." (It will always be "Juicy" to me-- I was not one of the early members but I did not feel excluded or an outsider, in fact you guys made me feel right at home and welcome. I think the Juicy name has individuality and personality, which is what gives the site its individual character, and should remain prominent. It contains the back story of the site, and sets us apart from every other racing site.)

IMO the activity of the site has decreased due to the organic reason that people who have moved on to other racing only post occasionally, because they are not racing each other. "Trash talking" and rehashing the wheel-to-wheel moments on the track was a big driver of activity. When that went away, so did the posting. And as Pat says, they have not been replaced by an adequate number of passionate grown-ups (Strelzoff and Paul Fisk being the big exceptions of course). Just as the economic world is showing us the limited ability of governmental policy to fundamentally change an organic cycle in our economy, I think similar "artificial" attempts to try to drive activity based on artificial polls ("Who's your favorite pit girl?"-- sorry Sy, but that was too close to jumping the shark for my liking ) or photo quizzes, etc, will only create blips in activity. People have to post about the races, and other news about racing. Since I am not racing this season, I am dying for any news about the race events. I was really disappointed in how few posts there have been about Lime Rock, Grattan, and Road America. Road America, especially, the gang got back together, but there has been total silence. How is a site going to survive like that? If people are posting on Facebook about it, then we are not going to have substantial new activity here until an economic upturn brings in new drivers. Although I have a FB profile, I just find it too big and unwieldy, and harder to discuss and interact. I like the focus and intimacy of Juicy.

I think Gerardo has the best suggestion so far to create real new content. Until either the economy or SBRS turn around, we are going to have to figure out what content will allow us to compete successfully with the plethora of other social networking options drivers have. I wish the old guard would also post more-- everyone still racing should be posting stories about their racing experiences on Juicy-- Dom in Star Mazda, the Greists in FC, Pew, Patterson, Kasey Kuhlman in Porsches, Tom Brown in Spec Miata, etc-- we want to share in these experiences. Some people are good about it (thank you Ron Yarab for the stories about the Rolex and your dirt cars), but I know you other guys are doing some serious racing, and would love to hear about it.
Old 09-09-2010

Gallery Images: 6

I am wondering if we could get SB to encourage all new customers/drivers/students to join TJRSF - it is after all the offical clubhouse of SB. It would and could be a very symbiotic deal - new customers get a feel for the SB driver group and we get to extoll the virtues of racing with SB. I will ask Todd how we implement something like this. Another place we can generate interest is at race weekends - I will make sure that I talk up the existence of TJRSF. I think each of us at race weekends should make sure that the people we talk to know of the existence of our forum - a simple invite to new drivers will do wonders.

On another note, it is very hard to compete with all of the other Web 2.0 content that is out there, howver it is very easy to link motorsports related items of interest to the TJRSF site without a lot of copy writing or additional work. I challenge all forum members to find and embed interesting racing stuff that we can all enjoy. I can't hurt and it may help to stir up some interest.

What do all ya all think (to coin a Wattsism) ?
Old 09-09-2010
Grand Master

I think these are all good ideas that should be implemented immediately.

A phrase like "Skip Barber encourages new customers to join and participate on Skippyforums to connect with like minded driving enthusiasts who enjoy the supportive culture around our activities" might go a long way in confirm E-mails and on the SBRS web site. And we can be more supportive in referring people to the SBRS web site for program content and dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Subject View Post
I am wondering if we could get SB to encourage all new customers/drivers/students to join TJRSF - it is after all the offical clubhouse of SB. It would and could be a very symbiotic deal - new customers get a feel for the SB driver group and we get to extoll the virtues of racing with SB. I will ask Todd how we implement something like this. Another place we can generate interest is at race weekends - I will make sure that I talk up the existence of TJRSF. I think each of us at race weekends should make sure that the people we talk to know of the existence of our forum - a simple invite to new drivers will do wonders.

On another note, it is very hard to compete with all of the other Web 2.0 content that is out there, howver it is very easy to link motorsports related items of interest to the TJRSF site without a lot of copy writing or additional work. I challenge all forum members to find and embed interesting racing stuff that we can all enjoy. I can't hurt and it may help to stir up some interest.

Old 09-09-2010

Quote:
I am wondering if we could get SB to encourage all new customers/drivers/students to join TJRSF - it is after all the offical clubhouse of SB. It would and could be a very symbiotic deal - new customers get a feel for the SB driver group and we get to extoll the virtues of racing with SB. I will ask Todd how we implement something like this.
good luck, I already suggested this.
I actually have an unpopular idea that skippy should be running their own forums or/and merge these forums together OR link to this site from the current site. (prolly a link would make the people here most happy, but good luck getting the brass to bless that idea.)

I feel this way because it would hopefully drive more members. Luigi and his Dad who are doing the summer series had NO idea about these forums which is a shame. There is a value that these forums provide that is not being harnessed. People curious about SB would be more likely to race with us knowing that it is a club racing and a blast (most of the time :P ).

Then we could add features to energize the racing series recruiting:

They should post all audio clips from the race series to these forums. It is a problem that some of the language gets colorful, but it is actually what I love. We have hbo right? Does everything have to be PG?

They should have posts ala twitter (though I really hate twitter) to these or their official forums so that people can understand what is going on here. I think more drivers would sign up if they knew how exciting our racing is.

It should be easier to see the current standings. It is a joke how hard it is to find the standings currently.

OK -ill stop before i get on someone's hate list

Quote:

Another place we can generate interest is at race weekends - I will make sure that I talk up the existence of TJRSF. I think each of us at race weekends should make sure that the people we talk to know of the existence of our forum - a simple invite to new drivers will do wonders.
Maybe put up a banner in the hospitality tent?

Quote:

Great Idea.

I like seeing interesting stuff.

BTW
This is a good site

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com
Old 09-09-2010
Grand Master

I don't think your link idea is undoable or would be unthinkable to Todd or Michael as the "forum" part of the SBRS web site no longer exists. We don't really compete with the Skippy site we only complement it.
Old 09-09-2010

Unless you are going to recruit 8-15 new people each year, participation will be tough. I never understood why the site was so loyal to a company who goes out of its way to ignore it. To each their own I suppose. Narrow band of interest, and difficult to create synergy with people who are only active while in the series.

I haven't raced with SBRS in years, and don't plan to again for a variety of reasons. I have posted a few hundred pics, and 5 or so videos. The majority of that content was not SBRS related. I guess the site needs to decide what kind of people it wants to be active. Those who are currently active in the series, or those who have it as their racing background.
Old 09-09-2010
Grand Master

Why should one group exclude the other?
Michael Culver has a completely different attitude about this site than Aaron H. did. He views it positively and supports it as a form of customer feedback and support he couldn't pay for anywhere else. The desire by previous management to have us dry up and blow away no longer exists. Nor is there a desire here to only serve Skip Barber customers. IMHO It should absolutely be a site that supports any car enthusiast with an obvious bend toward anyone with an SBRS background.

Quote:
Unless you are going to recruit 8-15 new people each year, participation will be tough. I never understood why the site was so loyal to a company who goes out of its way to ignore it. To each their own I suppose. Narrow band of interest, and difficult to create synergy with people who are only active while in the series.

I haven't raced with SBRS in years, and don't plan to again for a variety of reasons. I have posted a few hundred pics, and 5 or so videos. The majority of that content was not SBRS related. I guess the site needs to decide what kind of people it wants to be active. Those who are currently active in the series, or those who have it as their racing background.
Old 09-09-2010
G-force junkie

Quote:
I am wondering if we could get SB to encourage all new customers/drivers/students to join TJRSF - it is after all the offical clubhouse of SB. It would and could be a very symbiotic deal - new customers get a feel for the SB driver group and we get to extoll the virtues of racing with SB. I will ask Todd how we implement something like this.
Please do, Paul. Maybe they will listen to you.
Quote:
Another place we can generate interest is at race weekends - I will make sure that I talk up the existence of TJRSF. I think each of us at race weekends should make sure that the people we talk to know of the existence of our forum - a simple invite to new drivers will do wonders.
def agree. That's how I interested Paul Fisk in joining. Although I feel bad if Luigi didn't know about the site, since he and I had our wheel-to-wheel battles, and clearly, I didn't think to mention it.
Quote:
I challenge all forum members to find and embed interesting racing stuff that we can all enjoy. I can't hurt and it may help to stir up some interest.

many hands make exponentially more activity. It's synergistic. BTW, Watts would never say that. It's Y'ALL, Captain Canada, sir.

Quote:
good luck, I already suggested this. ...

Maybe put up a banner in the hospitality tent?
all Greg's ideas are excellent. I share his frustration in getting SB to actually implement a lot of stuff that would help them.

Quote:
Craig-- IMO the stuff you post is unique, very cool, of great interest, and valuable to the site. That's exactly the kind of related motorsports stuff that enhances the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Michael Culver has a completely different attitude about this site than Aaron H. did. He views it positively and supports it as a form of customer feedback and support he couldn't pay for anywhere else. The desire by previous management to have us dry up and blow away no longer exists. Nor is there a desire here to only serve Skip Barber customers. IMHO It should absolutely be a site that supports any car enthusiast with an obvious bend toward anyone with an SBRS background.
I agree with Pat, the 2 groups are not exclusive, in fact I would hope the Skippy "bloodlines" would tie folks to each other forever. Which would mean folks who had moved on to whatever would continue posting about their activities.

Michael Culver may have a different attitude, but he seems to share previous management's mystifying inability to actually TRUST the ideas we come up with and actually try them out. Maybe it's lack of funds, and that's a whole nuther problem, but their customer service and IT devoted to their customer family needs a huge upgrade in order to generate the interest to keep people coming back.
Old 09-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
that's a whole nuther problem
Now that is a Wattsism!!!

I talked to Todd aboout the tag line referral - he indicated that he thought that a something similar is being done - he will confirm for me tomorrow.

Great idea on the banner, Greg - I will think about who could make it and start putting it togther. Any ideas on artwork???

As to everyones comments on SB management, suffice it to say they have their collective hands full, hence we will have to work at promoting our forum with little involvement from SB - not sour grapes from me, just the reality of the situation.
Old 09-09-2010

My only point is that right on the top of the site it says "Skippy Forums, racing school and race series forum". That is how the site is branded. I dont know Aaron, or Michael, these are my first posts in two years.

My "join date" is July 06, immediately after my 3day. I haven't been posting, because the site doesn't really relate currently to what I am doing, it has more of a SBRS corporation feel. At least that is what one fairly poor kid in Kansas thinks. My participation recently was for Peter, I thought you all might be interested. Pretty fun weekend.

Nussbaum took pitty on my poor raceless soul and invited me. And I am thankful. If there is interest I can post the videos etc once I get them finished.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2010
Grand Master

We'd love to see the videos when you get them. Glad to have you back.

For the record we've never been a part of SBRS and while we'd like to see them survive and thrive our members represent the motorsport culture of Skip Barber not the corporate culture.

Quote:
My only point is that right on the top of the site it says "Skippy Forums, racing school and race series forum". That is how the site is branded. I dont know Aaron, or Michael, these are my first posts in two years.

My "join date" is July 06, immediately after my 3day. I haven't been posting, because the site doesn't really relate currently to what I am doing, it has more of a SBRS corporation feel. At least that is what one fairly poor kid in Kansas thinks. My participation recently was for Peter, I thought you all might be interested. Pretty fun weekend.

Nussbaum took pitty on my poor raceless soul and invited me. And I am thankful. If there is interest I can post the videos etc once I get them finished.
Old 09-10-2010

Quote:
We'd love to see the videos when you get them. Glad to have you back.

For the record we've never been a part of SBRS and while we'd like to see them survive and thrive our members represent the motorsport culture of Skip Barber not the corporate culture.
+1 to both points above
Old 09-10-2010
administrationistperson

I know for a fact SB is including SF info to all new school customers. The link on their site tho, even tho promised LAST JANUARY has not happened....for the life of me I don't understand why. If it is on their site I can't find it. Culver said he wanted the linking...

ps, haven't read all these posts, sorry if this is redundant...
Old 09-10-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
If you would like more participation in the site, perhaps opening it up to people who have SBRS as a common tying thread would yield more members, posts etc. When it was TJR the site name didn't imply that it was strictly for current SBRS participants. Craig
Look at this screen shot and the # of threads in the circled forums...clearly there is a great deal of posting about non-SB racing activities. We have been asking this question for 6 years, my guess is an F1 pool next year would bump participation more than anything...just a guess.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum-posts.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	3891  
Old 09-10-2010
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Look at this screen shot and the # of threads in the circled forums...clearly there is a great deal of posting about non-SB racing activities. We have been asking this question for 6 years, my guess is an F1 pool next year would bump participation more than anything...just a guess.
I agree about the F1 pool. I also would be willing (deep breath, swallow hard) to run it if my time situation allows next year. Will know by Jan/Feb...

BTW, love your new avatar. And before you ask, yes I know the track! I crack myself up....
Old 09-10-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
I agree about the F1 pool. I also would be willing (deep breath, swallow hard) to run it if my time situation allows next year. Will know by Jan/Feb...

BTW, love your new avatar. And before you ask, yes I know the track! I crack myself up....
I VOTE FOR HARSHA - YAAAAAAAAAAAAY HARSHA!!!!!
Of course you know the track, I would withdraw my nomination otherwise...
That is a Bug isn't it?
Old 09-10-2010
G-force junkie

Quote:
I VOTE FOR HARSHA - YAAAAAAAAAAAAY HARSHA!!!!!
Of course you know the track, I would withdraw my nomination otherwise...
That is a Bug isn't it?
LOL. I know a dirty job when I see it. And somehow, I can't seem to avoid them. Masochism? Insanity?

Yessir, you are correct, can't mistake that grille shape. Lord Howe's T59, I'm not sure who's at the wheel, looks tall enough for Nuvo, but he's not credited on any picture I found. Jean-Pierre Wimille also drove for Howe, figure looks too tall for Howe?
Old 09-10-2010
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 482

Moxie's responses to the question, "what do you want to see more of on TJR?" (#1 of a series)

CHARACTER ASSASSINATION. In July 2010, the German magazine Bild am Sonntag conducted an anonymous survey involving 20 of the 24 current F1 drivers and in the category 'Most Beautiful Woman In F1', one vote went to Nico Rosberg. In the most recent issue of Autoweek, there’s a horrifying photo of Michael Schumacher in clingy silver pants. Paddocktalk reported that Bruno Senna, when asked about alternative career plans if F1 doesn’t work out, replied “Selling coconuts on the beach.” This sort of stuff practically begs for acerbic TJR commentary. Remember, it takes a couple of asses to do assassination properly.

INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING. I am shocked (shocked!) that other publications and web sites are scooping TJR on automotive news stories. Some examples follow. Okay, the third one has nothing to do with cars, but it’s something we really should have been on top of.

Name:	0723weeklyworld.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	3892   Click image for larger version

Name:	wwn1.png
Views:	199
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	3894  
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2010
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Great to hear from Craig and agree that more non SBRS related content is always welcome.

I solicit traffic for TeamJuicyRacing.com with a written reminder at the close of every racing school program I lead.
It is a fantastic and largely untapped resource for those getting started in this addiction.
Some of the most educated discussions on the industry in general have graced this board...

I also agree with Gerbobo that more field reports from the races are what we need most.

My.02
SD

PS. CDH I also love the airborne Bug avatar from the birthplace of British Auto racing and avaition. Fantastic museum on site and a portion of that famous banking still exists!
Old 09-10-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDe View Post
I solicit traffic for TeamJuicyRacing.com with a written reminder at the close of every racing school program I lead.
My.02
SD
Much appreciated Stevie, thanks for the help. New SF registrations lately show "How did you hear about SF" as Skip schools, literature and race weekends.

Last edited by cdh; 09-10-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2010
administrationistperson

Done, new thread here - back to "What do you want to see new or more of on this site?" topic

Quote:
speaking of which, interesting superimposed "past meets present" pic here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonc...n/photostream/

ok, so maybe we need a new thread for this. do your stuff.
Old 09-11-2010

OK, here is the scoop - so during the CAB meeting yeaterday we talked about the link from the SB website to the TJRSF - Kyle Morham (sales and marketing) said he would look into it ASAP. SB is in the midst of a refresh of the website (due by November), so I expect to see a link to TJRSF then if not sooner. We shall see & I will remain vigilant.

CDH what do think about developing some cool TJRSF artwork that I can have printed on a banner that we can hang up in hospitality at each race weekend? Or anyone else for that matter (for artwrk input, that is) ??????

BTW, we should have add permanent link to the pictures that Kelly B posts on flicker and put it in the header bar - it will save on download time and server space.
Old 09-11-2010

Gallery Images: 8

Ok....I have to chime in...not sure I want to be in the "old guard" category though...prefer " younger getting older middle something or another"....

I vote to go back to Team Juicy Racing as our web site name and address. True enough some of our esteemed northeastern founders exist but the site was never eastern only. I believe our quest to garner approval and participation from the Series mgt. Has diluted the freedom of expression on this site. TJR has stickiness and and certain amount of humor and irreverence. We have become way too PC and I think that is one overriding reason the site has lost some activity. Certainly the amount of racing for some has decreased due to the obvious economic issues.

True enough Aaron and George's ban on instructor participation started the whole process and I believe Michael is more open to what his customers think. In the end this site should not be about keeping series mgt. Happy. It should be a forum for friends and like minded people to share communicate and learn. If the harsh reality of what series participants say is hard to hear at times mgt can decide whether they want to participate and listen to the free feedback or to ignore it.

Harsha's point about the friendly trash talking and jabbing is completely gone now. No one wants to do race recaps anymore for lots of reasons. I think one of the reasons is because the hassle of possibly offending some one by failing to mention them or saying the wrong thing makes it not worth the effort.

There are tons of intelligent and witty personalities in this community. Let's get them back to voicing whatever
it is they want to say. We need to get back to having fun and not being so sensitive about how someone feels or what they post. Until this happens the site will continue to decline.

The new instructor only site seems to be a mistake to me. I do not see many instructors posting anymore on the general site. If they need to communicate privately then they cam PM or e mail. Lets blend them back in. They are sorely missed.
Old 09-11-2010

Quote:

BTW, we should have add permanent link to the pictures that Kelly B posts on flicker and put it in the header bar - it will save on download time and server space.
Great point and she should be supplying photos from every race to link to - ie id love to see her in action at all the races not just some.

She is very talented
Old 09-11-2010

Quote:
Great point and she should be supplying photos from every race to link to - ie id love to see her in action at all the races not just some.

She is very talented

Here is the link to Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/skipbarberracingschool/ !!!!
Old 09-11-2010
Grand Master

Don't think the name encourages or discourages participation or PC correctness. Members decide that. I think the name simply states the primary focus of the site from the beginning which was for and by people who actively participate in the SB race series. It's always been that way along with a smattering of folks who love motor sports in all kinds of ways.

The site has never been about keeping series mgt happy. It' s been about straight ahead communication and camaraderie in the SB regional race series when things are good and when they're not so good. We always thought the old mgt desire for us to go away was incredibly short sited. Not because we wanted their approval but because we wanted to be heard and responded to as customers. Aaron and George never got it. They were like kids with their fingers in their ears going "La La La" so they wouldn't have to hear or respond to what we were saying and it cost them a lot. Michael seems to understand there is value in hearing feedback both positive and negative. He also understands the value of having instructors in dialogue with customers in an open forum and encourages it. We probably haven't done enough to entice them back more.

So to be perfectly clear... The order that George and Aaron put on instructors not to post on this site is completely gone. Instructors and employees are free to post here any time they want. Most have gotten out of the habit... And we should do more to encourage them by creating more interesting and entertaining threads. When the content and exchanges are interesting things get viral fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer View Post
Ok....I have to chime in...not sure I want to be in the "old guard" category though...prefer " younger getting older middle something or another"....

I vote to go back to Team Juicy Racing as our web site name and address. True enough some of our esteemed northeastern founders exist but the site was never eastern only. I believe our quest to garner approval and participation from the Series mgt. Has diluted the freedom of expression on this site. TJR has stickiness and and certain amount of humor and irreverence. We have become way too PC and I think that is one overriding reason the site has lost some activity. Certainly the amount of racing for some has decreased due to the obvious economic issues.

True enough Aaron and George's ban on instructor participation started the whole process and I believe Michael is more open to what his customers think. In the end this site should not be about keeping series mgt. Happy. It should be a forum for friends and like minded people to share communicate and learn. If the harsh reality of what series participants say is hard to hear at times mgt can decide whether they want to participate and listen to the free feedback or to ignore it.

Harsha's point about the friendly trash talking and jabbing is completely gone now. No one wants to do race recaps anymore for lots of reasons. I think one of the reasons is because the hassle of possibly offending some one by failing to mention them or saying the wrong thing makes it not worth the effort.

There are tons of intelligent and witty personalities in this community. Let's get them back to voicing whatever
it is they want to say. We need to get back to having fun and not being so sensitive about how someone feels or what they post. Until this happens the site will continue to decline.

The new instructor only site seems to be a mistake to me. I do not see many instructors posting anymore on the general site. If they need to communicate privately then they cam PM or e mail. Lets blend them back in. They are sorely missed.
Old 09-11-2010

Quote:
So to be perfectly clear... The order that George and Aaron put on instructors not to post on this site is completely gone. Instructors and employees are free to post here any time they want. Most have gotten out of the habit... And we should do more to encourage them by creating more interesting and entertaining threads. When the content and exchanges are interesting things get viral fast.

Sounds like a statement from Pravda
Old 09-12-2010
Grand Master

Hah... Yeah right... Just saying the active resistance to this site by mgt. is gone... The only limits and judgements on its use and potential are what we as members place on it.
Quote:
Old 09-12-2010

Quote:
Hah... Yeah right... Just saying the active resistance to this site by mgt. is gone... The only limits and judgements on its use and potential are what we as members place on it.

So did they shoot the last few members of the resistance. Instructor feedback, and participation are waayy down. I've also, from SB pics have noticed a few new faces with SBRS shirts, and one or two or more missing bodies. Saw an old familiar face this past weekend. Perhaps i took my short conversation with him incorrectly, but it sounds like Road America is his new employer. PCA made good use of him.

I sent this off for an autographed copy.

Name:	59578_1424756541890_1322055292_31190091_2918956_n.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	3903  
Old 09-12-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:

or DC

Old 09-12-2010
Grand Master

Great to see Duck, and the Doc...

Craige... We get that you have issues with Skip Barber and are grinding your ax here.

The site has always been for those who find value working and playing there. It's a tough time and I hope the company survives and thrives as the people and racing have only changed my life for the better. Hate to think of that ending.

Recall you used to offer high end cars for sale on this site and can't imagine that business isn't suffering too as you mentioned you can't afford to race.

Hope things work out for all of us.

Quote:
So did they shoot the last few members of the resistance. Instructor feedback, and participation are waayy down. I've also, from SB pics have noticed a few new faces with SBRS shirts, and one or two or more missing bodies. Saw an old familiar face this past weekend. Perhaps i took my short conversation with him incorrectly, but it sounds like Road America is his new employer. PCA made good use of him.

I sent this off for an autographed copy.
Old 09-12-2010

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
...Perhaps i took my short conversation with him incorrectly, but it sounds like Road America is his new employer...
I believe Duck has been in the employ of RA for a couple of years now, at least. So far as I know, this was not the result of any sort of overt action by SBR. I think he spends summers in Elkhart Lake and winters in Florida, which sounds like a pretty good retirement gig to me. It would be hard to imagine that Duck could be muzzled by anyone's management. For one thing, I don't believe I have ever seen a duck muzzle...
Old 09-13-2010

I am a fan of the site. I never met a bad person while with SBRS. I never had any kind of financial trouble from them, I have no complaints about the level of education I got and opportunity I had. For some reason, the cold shoulder I felt this site got still to this day drives me crazy. This is a pretty neat deal for a corporation to have. I guess for me its about a missed opportunity. Had it not been for TJR, I am not sure how much racing I would have done. It is a good tool to have. I hope its used properly in the future.
Old 09-13-2010
Grand Master

Glad to hear it... Thanks for the clarification... Sorry I misread you.
Pat

Quote:
I am a fan of the site. I never met a bad person while with SBRS. I never had any kind of financial trouble from them, I have no complaints about the level of education I got and opportunity I had. For some reason, the cold shoulder I felt this site got still to this day drives me crazy. This is a pretty neat deal for a corporation to have. I guess for me its about a missed opportunity. Had it not been for TJR, I am not sure how much racing I would have done. It is a good tool to have. I hope its used properly in the future.
Old 09-13-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer View Post

Part of the problem is many of us are doing a lot less racing or none at all, that means fewer people chiming in about race weekends, writing race reports, sharing stories after weekends. There are far more lurkers than posters here, always have been, not sure why. Plenty of people reading, few writing. I doubt that concern of offending anyone in Lakeville is much of a factor though. Why less barbed jabbing each other? No idea, different mix of posters as others have said. When macdod, amok, porkchop, sydude, etc were all active there was a lot more of that going on, I miss it too. Agree on instructor only forum....to be honest I have forgotten all about it, should can it.

I do believe Facebook is a big factor, there is more posting on an hourly basis there among SB people than we see in a typical week, much of it race related, any topic is open, fair amount of jabbing too, a lot of fun. And the Burger forum (which is really fun) is where many instructors go, they have race series pools and that is a draw, and I think they like having a place to play that is completely removed from SB - this relates to your TJR vs SF name Chris, they don't worry about offending customers (or mngmnt) there, they want their own place to play, tough to get around that. This site is primarily about the SBRS, the number of customers is down and that means less activity here. It is a small pond we fish in even in up economic times, but I don't think trying to draw in other series drivers is the answer. How do we draw in MX5 drivers?

So what do we do to open this up more? Been asking that for 6 years, my guess is things will stay as they have been. One thought I have had and never acted on is just printing up biz cars with the SF URL on them and having a pile of them on the hospitality table near where the results are put. Anyone want to do this? I have spent many, many hours this past week working on the next Mech Fund T-shirts, not complaining but more volunteers for this kind of task would be welcome
Old 09-13-2010
administrationistperson

Speaking of Facebook, one way to draw people in is to start a thread here, then use the FB link to post the thread notice on FB. I have been reluctant to do this, maybe I see it as worlds colliding but I/we can start doing it and see what happens. I recall a while back doing this and a west coast instructor replied "Skip Barber forum??!!?? I had no idea". Another way to bring people in.
Old 09-13-2010
administrationistperson

LOL, just looked at burger-on forum and saw this thread starter from July

"This forum sucks
Have we all become loosers?"

I guess this is a universal problem for small audience forums - their activity is pretty sparse

Last edited by cdh; 09-13-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2010

Quote:
LOL, just look at burger-on forum and saw this thread starter from July

"This forum sucks
Have we all become loosers?"

I guess this is a universal problem for small audience forums - their activity is pretty sparse
i guess ur right - it is the fb impact but id still rather post here for SB and racing stuff.

Bookmark This Thread