Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 08-31-2007
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Physical requirements for a 3 day racing school

Hi!

Having only driven my normal road car and rental go-karts a cople of times and now planing of doing a 3 day racing school at Laguna Seca I'm starting to get a litle nervous about my physical condition and if I can keep up during the 3 day program.
I don't think the legs will be a problem but my arms are on the thin side of things, never had any special training other then normal life for 29 years.
Is it time to start training them to get the most out of the experience or are the cars not that havy to drive at the limit?

/Viktor
Old 08-31-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
Re: Physical requirements for a 3 day racing school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor
Hi!

Having only driven my normal road car and rental go-karts a cople of times and now planing of doing a 3 day racing school at Laguna Seca I'm starting to get a litle nervous about my physical condition and if I can keep up during the 3 day program.
I don't think the legs will be a problem but my arms are on the thin side of things, never had any special training other then normal life for 29 years.
Is it time to start training them to get the most out of the experience or are the cars not that havy to drive at the limit?

/Viktor
My personal opinion: your arms will be fine. The steering is quick, but reasonably light, and slow-and-smooth hands are the order of the day. I think the brake pedal will be by far the greatest challenge. There is no servo assist on the RT's as there would be on a street car with disc brakes, which by nature are non-self energizing. Work on that right leg, you'll need it to bring a big, smooth squeeze to bear on the brake pedal at turns 2, 8 and 11 at Laguna.

Also, see this previous thread on the topic:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2270

Last edited by Rosso; 08-31-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2007
Skippy Girl
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Re: Physical requirements for driving a 3Day

There are three requirements:

1. A pulse
2. A credit card that hasn’t been maxed out
3. An appreciation for good humor

In all seriousness, it sounds like you are in good shape to take your three day. You will be driving a great track with great instructors. Keep in mind that your fellow 3 day students will have the same concerns as you. Some will have a little track time, some will have none, and some will think they are the next Mario freakin Andretti.

You have already discovered the best part of driving at Skip Barber…the TJR community. Welcome aboard!

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 09-01-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

If you've run go-karts and weren't too sore afterwards you'll be fine. I have not run at Laguna but I don't think it beats you up too much. Do some push-ups and squeeze a rubber ball for grip, hold a weight at arms length and excercise wrists and forearms.

I am jealous, you are beginning a great experience. I wish I could turn the clock back and do it all over again.

Welcome aboard Have Fun!

BTW, if I may ask, is this part of a trip to the U.S. or are you going to California just for the school?

Last edited by cdh; 09-01-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2007
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Thanks for the tips everyone, it sounds like I don't have to worry to much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
BTW, if I may ask, is this part of a trip to the U.S. or are you going to California just for the school?
The racing is the goal for the trip and then I will try to make a vacation out of it and maybe try to visiting a ChampCar (Long Beach) or Nascar event if the timing is right to see what the fuss is all about over there
Btw anyone know when thay usually release the spring schedule for Laguna Seca?

/Viktor
Old 09-02-2007

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Thanks for the tips everyone, it sounds like I don't have to worry to much.

The racing is the goal for the trip and then I will try to make a vacation out of it and maybe try to visiting a ChampCar (Long Beach) or Nascar event if the timing is right to see what the fuss is all about over there

/Viktor
350 miles to Long Beach from Monterey.
150 miles to Infineon Raceway.
Old 09-02-2007

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:

/Viktor
Are you talking about Skip Barber race weekends? If so, then the only ones this winter are in November, December, and January. If you are talking about general racing at Laguna Seca, then check the track's website.
Old 08-02-2013
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Hello. Just joined this forum. I didn't think it was necessary to post a new thread since the topic is similar to my concern.

I'm thinking of doing the 3 day race school (with formula cars). My main goal is to become a faster driver at my local HPDE events (i've only done 5 HPDE's). I drive a 2010 M3. By faster I mean smoother, being able to trail brake, control the car with throttle through turns, and having the knowledge to correct oversteer in case i get into trouble. I already know how to heel and toe.

However, about 1 year ago I got injured in two delicate tendons. My achilles tendon, and one of my elbows (i have golfers elbow).

I am able to do the full HPDE event in my M3 without much pain in my elbow or achilles. But I'm not able to drive an older BMW that I own because the clutch is much stiffer. What's your opinion on the difference in stiffness (pressure) between the barber formula cars and that of my M3?

I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2013
administrationistperson

Welcome aboard Dakar

Tough to say not knowing the resistance of your M3 clutch, but the SB formula car clutch is very light, and you aren't using it except to get going and when downshifting. I don't think it will be a problem whatsoever.

Def wear elbow pads, I didn't until after a few schools and I wish I had them from the start.

Go fast, have fun, the 3 Day Racing School is some of the most fun I have ever had.....and remember, eyes looking where you want the car to go!! enjoy!!
Old 08-02-2013
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

CDH is correct about the ligthness of the formula car clutches. However, if you feel the clutch of the car you are assigned is too heavy, you can request to try another car. Every once in a while, a clutch pedal gets stiff for different reasons the mechanics can figure out with some testing.

When I raced in regionals in 2000-2001, I sprained my left ankle jumping down from the pit wall at Daytona just after qualifying. Later that day and the next day, with ankle brace in place, plenty of swelling and pain, I did two races and was able to operate the clutch about as normally as one could expect. Maybe adrenaline helped!

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 08-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Welcome aboard Dakar

Tough to say not knowing the resistance of your M3 clutch, but the SB formula car clutch is very light, and you aren't using it except to get going and when downshifting. I don't think it will be a problem whatsoever.

Def wear elbow pads, I didn't until after a few schools and I wish I had them from the start.

Go fast, have fun, the 3 Day Racing School is some of the most fun I have ever had.....and remember, eyes looking where you want the car to go!! enjoy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
CDH is correct about the ligthness of the formula car clutches. However, if you feel the clutch of the car you are assigned is too heavy, you can request to try another car. Every once in a while, a clutch pedal gets stiff for different reasons the mechanics can figure out with some testing.

When I raced in regionals in 2000-2001, I sprained my left ankle jumping down from the pit wall at Daytona just after qualifying. Later that day and the next day, with ankle brace in place, plenty of swelling and pain, I did two races and was able to operate the clutch about as normally as one could expect. Maybe adrenaline helped!
That's great feedback. I feel much better now knowing that the clutch is relatively lightweight.
Thanks for the elbow pads suggestion. I will definitely get a pair before heading out there (considering that i already have an injured elbow).

Gerardo, I'm sure you were very soar the next days, after the race!

On another note, is the steering wheel much heavier than that of street cars?

Thanks again
Old 08-03-2013
Irrational National

The steering will feel lighter than street cars at first (lower speeds). Once you get some time in the car and increase the speeds, the steering will get a little heavier. But in the world of non-assisted race steering systems, the Skip Barber car is one of the lightest.

Race steering systems don't get really ridiculous until you get into some downforce, like a Pro Mazda or Atlantic car.

Old 08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
The steering will feel lighter than street cars at first (lower speeds). Once you get some time in the car and increase the speeds, the steering will get a little heavier. But in the world of non-assisted race steering systems, the Skip Barber car is one of the lightest.

Race steering systems don't get really ridiculous until you get into some downforce, like a Pro Mazda or Atlantic car.

Thanks Gerardo. Seems like I don't have much to worry about.

So based on what I'm looking to accomplish, getting faster and with more car control at my local HPDE, do you think I'm headed in the right direction by taking the 3 day racing course?
Old 09-02-2013

Its been a few weeks since I last posted. Tonight or tomorrow I'm calling Skip Barber and placing my order for the 3 day racing school at the end of the month.

As I said before, I want to do the course to learn as much as possible about road racing, but specifically for use at my local HPDE. I've asked a few different amateur racers about Skip Barber, and I get mixed opinions. A couple of them have told me that learning in a formula car won't translate to my street car. However, another racer friend of mine praises the Skip Barber formula school, and guarantees that I'll be able to transfer the skills. He says the Miata school will be boring compared to F car. Do you guys think I''ll be quicker/smoother with my street car after the 3 day formula course? Or am I just wasting time and money?

My goal is to soak up as much knowledge as possible. I plan on doing the 3 day modified Sebring course. Hopefully I'll get great instructors. I also want to have fun, but I'm not taking the course to have just have fun or to try something new. I want to learn and improve my road course driving skills.

Appreciate your comments!
Old 09-03-2013
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

You'll learn more from the formula school and what you learn will be more easily transferrable to any kind of car you drive. The formula cars are pure rear engine race cars that give more direct responses to input than the MX-5's. In terms of car control and vehicle dynamics you'll be better served by the formula car. When you learn to manage the rear engine formula car well you'll be able to get into almost any other kind of car and do well. The MX-5's are good but they're functionally street cars with ABS brakes and body lean. If you want the most value and benefit from your time. Do your 3-day in the formula car.
Old 09-03-2013
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS, THE MENTAL REQUIREMENTS ARE WHAT COUNT

(Sid just dropped on my shoulder and told me to post that)
Old 09-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
You'll learn more from the formula school and what you learn will be more easily transferrable to any kind of car you drive. The formula cars are pure rear engine race cars that give more direct responses to input than the MX-5's. In terms of car control and vehicle dynamics you'll be better served by the formula car. When you learn to manage the rear engine formula car well you'll be able to get into almost any other kind of car and do well. The MX-5's are good but they're functionally street cars with ABS brakes and body lean. If you want the most value and benefit from your time. Do your 3-day in the formula car.
Thanks for the reply. I guess that confirms it for me. I'll sign up for the 3 day course. I also found this older thread where most people recommended doing the 3 day course.

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2637

Thanks again!
Old 09-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude View Post
DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS, THE MENTAL REQUIREMENTS ARE WHAT COUNT

(Sid just dropped on my shoulder and told me to post that)
Very true. I'll go in with a mind ready to absorb and learn everything that's taught.
Old 09-05-2013

Thanks for the help guys. FYI. Just signed up for a 3 day race school in Sebring's Modified course.Can't wait.. I'll be sure to give you my feedback when I get back. Now I need to go out and buy some racing gloves, elbow pads, knee pads, and possibly some racing shoes (or maybe I can get away with using my minimalist style running shoes).
Old 09-05-2013
administrationistperson

I would put shoes #1 on the list
Old 09-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
I would put shoes #1 on the list
Ok. I will. Do you have any preference or brand? Or will any model be ok?
Old 09-07-2013
Grand Master

Driving Impressions has their own brand that are reasonably priced and have thin soles that permit good pedal feel.

Driving Impressions Racing Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
Ok. I will. Do you have any preference or brand? Or will any model be ok?
Old 09-09-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Shoes, Gloves, and a Balaclava! I just finished my 2-Day@Sebring. Great track - challenging and a lot to learn/practice.

As a "Head's Up" the Skippy Helmets are pretty well used. They may get an "airing out" between being boxed up - but you'd definitely want a head sock of some kind.

I was surprised that the local racer-shop next door was open - their posted hours were not aligned for shopping - but came to find out they open early on Skippy Race days - so maybe you can shop there too.

Have a great time - and,
Cheers - Jim
Old 09-15-2013

Quote:
Driving Impressions has their own brand that are reasonably priced and have thin soles that permit good pedal feel.

Driving Impressions Racing Shoe

Thanks! Just bought my racing shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
Shoes, Gloves, and a Balaclava! I just finished my 2-Day@Sebring. Great track - challenging and a lot to learn/practice.

As a "Head's Up" the Skippy Helmets are pretty well used. They may get an "airing out" between being boxed up - but you'd definitely want a head sock of some kind.

I was surprised that the local racer-shop next door was open - their posted hours were not aligned for shopping - but came to find out they open early on Skippy Race days - so maybe you can shop there too.

Have a great time - and,
Cheers - Jim
I actually have my own helmet, so I'll be using mine. I just purchased my shoes and gloves, and I already owned a balaclava. I also noticed that there was a racing store up there. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-15-2013

Just curious. I already own a GoPro that I use for my HPDE events. I am going to order the roll bar mount because I read that SB doesn't work with the camera company anymore (forgot their name).

How does one go about getting speed/traction circle data like this person here:

Or is that info not really important for my 3 day course?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2013
Grand Master

At you're 3 day you won't need data. Having a video record of your lapping sessions will be plenty. I believe the video you're referencing was made by one of Mike Marino's Helix cameras. I think Mike used Aim cameras that have speed, GPS and G-load data. You're focus should be on line and foot work at this point. When you're racing with others regularly the data can be of value but at a 3-day or 2-day advanced school you don't need it.

Quote:
Just curious. I already own a GoPro that I use for my HPDE events. I am going to order the roll bar mount because I read that SB doesn't work with the camera company anymore (forgot their name).

How does one go about getting speed/traction circle data like this person here:

Or is that info not really important for my 3 day course?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2013

Quote:
At you're 3 day you won't need data. Having a video record of your lapping sessions will be plenty. I believe the video you're referencing was made by one of Mike Marino's Helix cameras. I think Mike used Aim cameras that have speed, GPS and G-load data. You're focus should be on line and foot work at this point. When you're racing with others regularly the data can be of value but at a 3-day or 2-day advanced school you don't need it.
Got it. I understand!

Don't know if you know the answer to this one, but I'll ask. I'll be taking my GoPro and ordering this roll bar mount
http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/roll-bar-mount

However, I was on amazon reading reviews about the roll bar mount, and someone commented the following:

Quote:
This is great for attaching the camera to a vertical bar, but not so great for a horizontal roll bar unless you want to mount the camera sideways. To use it on a horizontal bar, you have to attach two extension arms, which result in increased vibration and camera wobble.

For the most vibration and wobble free video from a horizontal rollbar like you find inside a car, get the $8GoPro Tripod Mount for HERO Cameras instead, and attach it to the rollbar using a Bogen - Manfrotto Super Clamp with Standard Stud.
Do you know if the roll bar will be horizontal or vertical?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2013
Grand Master

Most mount it on top of the roll bar at it's point of being most horizontal. I've also heard the GoPro roll bar mount isn't very good but I've no first hand experience with it. Keep checking online or someone here may know what the smart workaround is.

Quote:
Got it. I understand!

Don't know if you know the answer to this one, but I'll ask. I'll be taking my GoPro and ordering this roll bar mount
http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/roll-bar-mount

However, I was on amazon reading reviews about the roll bar mount, and someone commented the following:

Do you know if the roll bar will be horizontal or vertical?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2013

Quote:
Most mount it on top of the roll bar at it's point of being most horizontal. I've also heard the GoPro roll bar mount isn't very good but I've no first hand experience with it. Keep checking online or someone here may know what the smart workaround is.
Ok. I will! Thank you.
Old 09-16-2013
Irrational National

Yes, the roll bar mounting location is horizontal.

Yes, the GoPro mount may vibrate a little, but the real risk is that the vibration cracks the mount, and will eventually send your GoPro flying off the car and into the weeds, where you might find it later. Some of us used a safety wire to secure it to the mount.

Yes, the best solution is another brand stronger mount system. I have not tried the one you mentioned, but I have used the following with excellent reliability and ease of use.

Ram-Mount (You can buy direct, or buy from a reseller for slightly less cost)

Use this part to attach to the roll bar with a wide tip flat head screwdriver.
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx

Use this part to clamp to the mount.
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx

Use this part to attach your GoPro camera housing.
http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...5/Default.aspx

RAM also sells an all-in-one kit for the GoPro, but the roll bar mount part of it is different, and I can't vouch for its strength. I can say the one I listed above should work great, and are the same parts Helix used for their cameras.

Hope this helps!

----------------

Roll bar mount

Clamp

GoPro mount

The whole thing should look like this, but with the different base I posted above. The steel U strap in this photo takes too long to mount. Be sure to use the flexible metal strap.

Old 09-16-2013

Thats great info and very kind of you Gerardo. I will take a look and order the product that you have attached.
Thank you very much!

Bookmark This Thread