Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 08-18-2005
Hey ya'll, watch this
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6
WARNING - Possibly disturbing images inside: Broken Leg X-Rays for those interested.

From my crash on March 31st exiting the bus stop at Daytona. Broken tibia and fibula. Internal fixation with a titanium rod inserted into the tibia. This is what 100 mph into a wall did to my leg. I got lucky. Very lucky.

The scans didn't turn out all that well, but you get the idea:

Pre surgury, my left tibia (shin bone):

Post surgury, with rod inserted, broken fibula visible:

By the way, wear your HANS devices... mine probably saved my life that day (along with the quick responding, awesome Daytona rescue crew). There were two other drivers who had very simillar impacts resulting from the same mistake I made that weekend, they fared slightly better than myself.

I am doing much better and I even plan on getting back on track during a track event with a street car within a few weeks.
"I'm not a fearful person. There's no feeling in the world that I've had that's like it. You're driving something that's out of control but you're controlling it. What else should I do? Plant flowers in the backyard? Go to a barbecue? I'll do that, but this rocks my world. When you get out of a race car, the grass is a little greener and the sky is a little bluer."
Old 08-18-2005
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 57
Re: WARNING - Possibly disturbing images inside: Broken Leg X-Rays for those interested.

I know I sound like a broken record but the wall where you hit needs a tire wall (similar to the LRP downhill).

OLDMAN
Old 08-18-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: WARNING - Possibly disturbing images inside: Broken Leg X-Rays for those interested.

Sobering stuff Jon,

Great to hear you'll be on track soon and the recovery is progressing so well.

Tell your dad hello and have fun at that track event.

Pat
Old 08-19-2005
Skippy Girl

Gallery Images: 1

Jon, wow that was a nasty break! Looks like it has healed well. Best of luck in your next track event, and hope to see you back at SBRS this winter! -Ashlei

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 08-24-2005
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Thanks for posting those pictures - very very cool of you. When and where are you doing your next track event?

Last edited by sydude; 08-25-2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2005
Hey ya'll, watch this

Well, it's supposed to be a double weekend this weekend. Homestead on Saturday and Sebring on Sunday.... if we don't get smacked by this storm.
"I'm not a fearful person. There's no feeling in the world that I've had that's like it. You're driving something that's out of control but you're controlling it. What else should I do? Plant flowers in the backyard? Go to a barbecue? I'll do that, but this rocks my world. When you get out of a race car, the grass is a little greener and the sky is a little bluer."
Old 08-25-2005
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller
Well, it's supposed to be a double weekend this weekend. Homestead on Saturday and Sebring on Sunday.... if we don't get smacked by this storm.
Are you racing or just lapping/DE?
Old 08-25-2005
Hey ya'll, watch this

Just doing a DE. Getting some solo seat time, this is the first step back to racing for me and it will be good for getting me back into it physically and more importantly, mentally. 5 months after the accident my leg is feeling pretty strong. I'm walking without crutches (though still with the big fracture boot) and I can take the boot off to drive the blue beast (the S4) around. It's more than strong enough to operate my very heavy clutch and there is no pain or discomfort to speak of... but I still want to take it slowly.

Sadly, it looks like we may be rained out though.

Bookmark This Thread