Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 12-18-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
2011 Skip Barber Summer Regional Race Series Schedule

Skip Barber Racing School today announced the 2011 Summer Regional Race Series Schedule, featuring eight double-header race weekends on some of America's best road courses. Each race weekend of the 2011 Summer Series schedule will consist of Formula Skip Barber and MAZDASPEED Challenge race events.

The season champion of the Formula Skip Barber Series will receive $7,000 in scholarships to compete in a race event in the BFGoodrich/Skip Barber National presented by Mazda: The first step in the MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development Ladder.

Also as part of the MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development Ladder, the MAZDASPEED Challenge champion wins $4,300 in scholarships and will be invited to the annual Mazda Club Racing Champions Shoot-out, the winner of which earns a package to compete in the following year's SCCA Pro Racing Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup.

Rounds 1 & 2, April 30-May 1, Virginia International Raceway, VA
Rounds 3 & 4, May 21-22, Watkins Glen International, NY
Rounds 5 & 6, June 10-11, Lime Rock Park, CT
Rounds 7 & 8, July 2-3, Road America, WI
Rounds 9 & 10, July 22-23, Road Atlanta, GA
Rounds 11 & 12, August 12-13, Lime Rock Park, CT
Rounds 13 & 14, September 10-11, Autobahn Raceway, IL
Rounds 15 & 16, October 7-8, Lime Rock Park, CT
Old 02-17-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: 2011 Skip Barber Summer Regional Race Series Schedule

Summer Series Update

The time to save 20% has come and gone, but it's not too late to save 15% if you purchase your full Skip Barber Summer Series season before the opening race on April 30th, 2011. Competitors who pay on a race-by-race basis will receive a 10% discount, but only when booked 45 days or more in advance.
The Rumors Are True!
On weekends that the MAZDASPEED Challenge and Formula Skip Barber Summer Series are running with the BFGoodrich/Skip Barber National presented by Mazda, Formula Skip Barber competitors will be running their events on slick tires. The BFGoodrich g-Force R1 racing slicks will add some new spice to the competition, as BFGoodrich g-Force Sport have been used as the primary tire for the Regional Race Series for many years.
This eight race weekend schedule will include the usual favorites such as Virginia International Raceway, Lime Rock Park, Road Atlanta and Watkins Glen. Also added to the 2011 schedule is Autobahn Country Club and Road America, a track favorite with the Skip Barber Racing School family.

Run groups are filling up fast, so call and book your season now! Series Advisors are available at 800.221.1131 Monday through Thursday, 8:30am - 7:00pm, Friday 8:30am - 5:30pm (all times Eastern).
Discounts may not be combined with any other offer. The customer will always receive the highest single discount to which they are entitled.
Skip Barber Racing School LLC
speed@skipbarber.com

Old 02-17-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Just a mindless question as I look out the window at a lot of snow, but ... are these slicks going to be a major problem when it rains (and I don't mean IF it rains -- we all know it will rain somewhere this summer when these slicks are in use). Previously we had been told that having slicks would pose a logistic problem requiring a complete change of tires on the regional series fleet in case of rain. Is that no longer the case? Has someone found slicks that do not become ice skates in the rain?
Old 02-17-2011
Grand Master

They used to do it all the time but it does add to the logistics because they need a full set of mounted street tires ready to go and the mechanics have the added stress of changing every tire in the fleet. It's way better for us but it's a lot of work for the mechanics.
It may be more work to have half the fleet on slicks and half on street tires than to do all the cars one way. Kelly can probably enlighten us all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post
Just a mindless question as I look out the window at a lot of snow, but ... are these slicks going to be a major problem when it rains (and I don't mean IF it rains -- we all know it will rain somewhere this summer when these slicks are in use). Previously we had been told that having slicks would pose a logistic problem requiring a complete change of tires on the regional series fleet in case of rain. Is that no longer the case? Has someone found slicks that do not become ice skates in the rain?
Old 02-17-2011
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

I am sure we will all be a little confused at first but our stellar Skippy training will have us loving the slicks once we get used to them. I am truly looking forward to finding out how they feel compared to the treads. King Pat or some of the other experienced drivers might give us a little advice. Do the national drivers race on slicks in the rain?... getting more excited by the day as we get closer to VIR...Ok, calm down , it's a long way off.
Old 02-17-2011
Grand Master

Drove at the Road America National last summer and the slicks are wonderful. More grip for cornering, shorter stopping distances and they give up gradually enough that you feel it coming. Very predictable. The car feels more responsive and racy. Very satisfying.

Nobody drives in the rain on slick tires. (Except karters ) There will be a full set of the treaded tires mounted on wheels and if it rains or rain is likely they will put on the treads. I'm told the regional and national combined events will share cars. That's why they can't do the slicks just for the Nationals. It'll be fun for long time regional drivers (like myself) to drive the slicks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
I am sure we will all be a little confused at first but our stellar Skippy training will have us loving the slicks once we get used to them. I am truly looking forward to finding out how they feel compared to the treads. King Pat or some of the other experienced drivers might give us a little advice. Do the national drivers race on slicks in the rain?... getting more excited by the day as we get closer to VIR...Ok, calm down , it's a long way off.
Old 02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Drove at the Road America National last summer and the slicks are wonderful. More grip for cornering, shorter stopping distances and they give up gradually enough that you feel it coming. Very predictable. The car feels more responsive and racy. Very satisfying.

Nobody drives in the rain on slick tires. (Except karters ) There will be a full set of the treaded tires mounted on wheels and if it rains or rain is likely they will put on the treads. I'm told the regional and national combined events will share cars. That's why they can't do the slicks just for the Nationals. It'll be fun for long time regional drivers (like myself) to drive the slicks.
wow
some major tire changing action may happen

im doing 4 nat races so i cannot wait to try them!!!

im going to buy my vir flight stuff tomorrow
Old 02-18-2011
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

this is a really nice tire, drove it once when it was being considered. you really "feel" the contact patch under braking and turning, so much better, and it performs so much better in terms of carrying more Gs, obviously. The masters series a few years back drove slicks and that was much better, but this is an even better tire.
Old 02-19-2011
somewhere out there
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

I last raced a regional car in 2002 and I think we were on the Michelin slicks back then. Though the slicks didn't act like normal racing slicks as they were pretty durable. I remember we used grooves at Putnam Park, but that was a very wet weekend at times so sensibly they just kept us on the same type of tire all weekend. Which made the Saturday afternoon dry memorial very fun.

What has been the tread evolution over the last few years? And are the slicks they'll be using occasionally in the summer series like the old Michelin slicks or like a proper racing slick you can wear out?
Old 02-19-2011

Ross, I don't know the details, but I can say, the new slick is different. It is more durable than the regular racing slick but a superior performer to the old skip slick. I do not know the durability... but it drove better than any skip tire i've driven todate.
Old 02-19-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

def Dr Mike - the old Michelin slicks were hockey pucks. You're fine, you're fine, you're fine then - bang - you're backwards. Was a tough tire to learn / race on, I hear the BFG's are a ton of fun and much more progressive than the pucks. Hope I can try them out this season at some point
Old 02-19-2011
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

For tire testing this week at Sebring, I did three sessions on the BFG R1 slicks. Relative to the current and previous treads, the slicks are a different world. The overall grip is higher, of course, but the tire construction is also much stiffer, giving you what feels like instant turn-in, the ability to use gobs and gobs of pedal pressure on initial brake, and a little more excitement and movement over the bumps in Turn 17 and Turn 1.

You can really dig into the tires. If you start to feel understeer, you just ask for more speed anyway, and if its not yet overheated, it gives you more speed. Once they get really hot, the understeer increases about 5%, but not anything you can't handle. Relax a little, and your best times come right back to you. My best time came on the final lap of my final run today, at 2:23.21.

As an example of these tires' awesomeness, at Turn 1 I could just touch the brake softly right as I turned in. I still went to 4th gear, but let off the brake almost immediately, and let it coast down at stupid speeds to the apex, then attack the throttle more than you could ever do with the treads. The entry and apex speed was more than I had ever done in a Skippy car. It reminded me of the downforce cars, like Star Mazda, LMP2, etc. You guys will get a taste of some serious equipment when you get on these slicks.

The bonus is they last a long time. It's like magic. They can go probably for two race weekends. I'm sure we'll lose most of our tires to drivers locking up in the brake zones, and not from general wear.

Bottom line, they will be lots of fun, and something new to learn for everyone.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 02-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
For tire testing this week at Sebring, I did three sessions on the BFG R1 slicks. Relative to the current and previous treads, the slicks are a different world. The overall grip is higher, of course, but the tire construction is also much stiffer, giving you what feels like instant turn-in, the ability to use gobs and gobs of pedal pressure on initial brake, and a little more excitement and movement over the bumps in Turn 17 and Turn 1.

You can really dig into the tires. If you start to feel understeer, you just ask for more speed anyway, and if its not yet overheated, it gives you more speed. Once they get really hot, the understeer increases about 5%, but not anything you can't handle. Relax a little, and your best times come right back to you. My best time came on the final lap of my final run today, at 2:23.21.

As an example of these tires' awesomeness, at Turn 1 I could just touch the brake softly right as I turned in. I still went to 4th gear, but let off the brake almost immediately, and let it coast down at stupid speeds to the apex, then attack the throttle more than you could ever do with the treads. The entry and apex speed was more than I had ever done in a Skippy car. It reminded me of the downforce cars, like Star Mazda, LMP2, etc. You guys will get a taste of some serious equipment when you get on these slicks.

The bonus is they last a long time. It's like magic. They can go probably for two race weekends. I'm sure we'll lose most of our tires to drivers locking up in the brake zones, and not from general wear.

Bottom line, they will be lots of fun, and something new to learn for everyone.

Arent these the same slicks as what nats ran last year?
Old 02-20-2011
Grand Master

I believe they are Greg. Gerardo's on his way home from Sebring now. I'm sure he'll confirm when he checks in.
Old 02-23-2011
Irrational National

Yes, Greg. Same slicks as last year in Nationals. If you had a chance to drive them last year, you already know what to expect. But it will be interesting to see how all the regional drivers respond to them collectively. It's the same learning process with a new set of parameters. For me, its seriously fun to have the extra mental stimulation along with the physical thrill of going faster.

Another variable is that the testing we did was done in part to see if we can go with 15-inch wheels at all four corners. We are still using a wider rear tire than front to support the weight of the rear of the car, but the 15-inch rear diameter means a shorter overall gear ratio. With a lower overall gear, the car accelerates better than with 16-inch rear tires, and affects gear choices in places where you were near the top of the rpm window. At Sebring, that means you can drive through Turn 3, 4, and 5 in 3rd gear, instead of 2nd gear. And at Turn 13 where there are always debates about 2nd gear vs 3rd, there is no debate on the 15-inch rear, its definitely 3rd gear.

Old 02-23-2011
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gerado, are the tires changing for the racing schools as well ?

Viz
Old 02-23-2011
Grand Master

Viz,

Can't confirm but there would be no value in having anything other than treads during racing schools. No need for the extra grip and nothing but trouble when it rains.

Pat
Old 02-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Yes, Greg. Same slicks as last year in Nationals. If you had a chance to drive them last year, you already know what to expect. But it will be interesting to see how all the regional drivers respond to them collectively. It's the same learning process with a new set of parameters. For me, its seriously fun to have the extra mental stimulation along with the physical thrill of going faster.
Hi Gerardo,

No I have not driven them yet, but cant wait to try.
Old 02-24-2011
Irrational National

Gary,

No slicks for schools. To be more specific, the only time you will see slicks outside the National series is during Regional race weekends that are run together with the National series.

Old 02-27-2011
Team Flying Randalls

We want slicks on the MX5's too
Old 02-27-2011
Grand Master

You'll have to bring your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sz28r View Post
We want slicks on the MX5's too
Old 02-27-2011
Team Flying Randalls

Deal
Old 02-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
You'll have to bring your own.
LOL

Bookmark This Thread