Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 11-10-2013
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 12
Lapping Session or Lead Follow

I'm looking at getting more seat time before I decide to run a race in the series. Which would all of my experienced skippy brothers and sisters rather do? Lapping Session or Lead Follow Session? Is the feedback better in one vs the other? How many runs are in a typical Lapping Day and Lead Follow Day?
Old 11-10-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Re: Lapping Session or Lead Follow

I'd like to add the follow up question to this important question just asked.

DO you think it would be better to do either the Lead-Follow/Lapping at a track you are "familiar with" or, broaden horizons at the same time?
As you have time - Please answer emd645e6's questions first (it's Mike - right?) and, mine if you have time.

Cheers - Jim
Old 11-11-2013
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Both good questions:

At this stage all seat time is good seat time. Your progress is going to be gradual either way as you sort out managing a car near it's limits on track with other cars. There's a lot going on for anyone at this stage. The feedback you get from instructors observing on corners will help you understand what you need to work on at specific corners, while the feedback and commentary from a lead follow instructor will be more personal and specific to you during the entire lap, but you will pay more for that attention. If you can afford the lead follow I'd say do it, as it will accelerate your learning curve and give you more specific things to focus on going forward. However, the more seat time you have before doing a lead follow, the more benefit you'll get as you'll be more comfortable with yourself in the car and able to process suggestions more easily. The lead follow feedback is more detailed because the instructor observes only you on-track for two full sessions and can give you more detailed observation than any instructor on a single corner can.

A lapping day is two full tanks of gas or roughly an hour of seat time. A lead follow day is the same amount of seat time at roughly twice the cost to cover the expense of the other car and instructor. It may also be possible to do a single lead follow session to sample the experience and reduce your cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd645e6 View Post
I'm looking at getting more seat time before I decide to run a race in the series. Which would all of my experienced skippy brothers and sisters rather do? Lapping Session or Lead Follow Session? Is the feedback better in one vs the other? How many runs are in a typical Lapping Day and Lead Follow Day?
Depends on your goal. If you know you'll do most of your racing at one local track then you'll get the most value out of doing it at that track. If you're going to a new track for the first time and want to get up to speed as quickly as possible, then do the lead-follow there as a way of accelerating the learning curve to being competitive at a new track. It all depends on your goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
I'd like to add the follow up question to this important question just asked.

DO you think it would be better to do either the Lead-Follow/Lapping at a track you are "familiar with" or, broaden horizons at the same time?
As you have time - Please answer emd645e6's questions first (it's Mike - right?) and, mine if you have time.

Cheers - Jim
Old 11-11-2013

Thank you for the detailed answers Duo! It is Mike Phantom jock. We were at the Sebring 2 Day in September together. Great answers and thanks again!
Old 12-19-2013

It looks like I'll be going to Homestead for Lapping on 1/15. I want more seat time and maybe I'll try a race in the summer series if I'm feeling more confident. I have a couple more questions to ask. At the Lapping Day sessions, do they start with a van around like in the school sessions? Are the entry, apex, and exit cones set up during Lapping days? Will we still be able to jump in with an instructor to go watch the other group run at different points of the track like during school sessions?
Old 12-19-2013
Grand Master

That's easy... YES! to all three. :-)

Enjoy

Quote:
It looks like I'll be going to Homestead for Lapping on 1/15. I want more seat time and maybe I'll try a race in the summer series if I'm feeling more confident. I have a couple more questions to ask. At the Lapping Day sessions, do they start with a van around like in the school sessions? Are the entry, apex, and exit cones set up during Lapping days? Will we still be able to jump in with an instructor to go watch the other group run at different points of the track like during school sessions?
Old 12-19-2013
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Not meant to hijack the thread, but that's why I think skippyforums serves a distinct need, and service. Let's keep things going.

And, enjoy your Lapping Day. Come on up to Sebring and try that when you can.

Viz
Old 12-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman View Post
Not meant to hijack the thread, but that's why I think skippyforums serves a distinct need, and service. Let's keep things going.

Viz
Will do Tireman. I had the pleasure of running both my 3 Day and 2 Day at Sebring. If I don't run the winter series finale there this year, I'll definitely be there for Lapping. I enjoy everything about that place.
Old 12-20-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman View Post
Viz

Hear - Hear, HERE!! Not FB!

I'll be doing another 2-Day-er @ Sebring. Couldn't settle on best $/seat time for the others just yet. Will need the refresher after 5-6 months sailing and not driving.

Cheers - Jim
Old 12-21-2013
Diesel Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post

.............................Will need the refresher after 5-6 months sailing and not driving.

Cheers - Jim
Now that's what I call enjoying your life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viz
Old 01-02-2014

Airfare booked for Homestead Lapping on 1/15. I've been keeping an eye on the number of remaining seats open for that day but haven't booked it yet. Do they ever drop the price of a Lapping Day when there are several seats left in the final week leading up to it? I'm going regardless but I am just wondering about that :-D
Old 01-04-2014
Diesel Demon

Not that I can recall. Check with your series advisor/sales rep though, they might have something to offer at the last minute?

Viz
Old 01-05-2014
Grand Master

Don't ever recall seeing lapping days discounted unless it was part of a multiple race weekend package discount. As Tireman suggests, talk to you sales rep but don't wait too long and get closed out. Doubt there's any gain in waiting.

Quote:
Airfare booked for Homestead Lapping on 1/15. I've been keeping an eye on the number of remaining seats open for that day but haven't booked it yet. Do they ever drop the price of a Lapping Day when there are several seats left in the final week leading up to it? I'm going regardless but I am just wondering about that :-D
Old 01-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Don't ever recall seeing lapping days discounted unless it was part of a multiple race weekend package discount. As Tireman suggests, talk to you sales rep but don't wait too long and get closed out. Doubt there's any gain in waiting.
Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and call tomorrow.

Bookmark This Thread