Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 09-21-2011
Petey's Dad
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 54
Thank you Skip Barber Racing

It is clear that SBR has had a bumpy road, as most every company experiences in its history when passion is involved. In a moment of reflection however and feeling extremely blessed I felt a whole hearted THANK YOU to the organization and staff was needed.

Thru all the turbulence I wanted to take just a minute and recognize how grateful I am that Skip Barber Racing exists and how it impacting my life and my success as a racing car driver.

In 2000 I jumped in a Skippy 3-day school, on that weekend I not only found an ever-lasting passion for wanting to go fast while staying in control... I have learned so much about myself, simultaneously forging tremendous friendships with deddicated staff and drivers alike (John Pew being the first during that school, I am so very happy we became the friends that we are today).

There is no doubt that Skippy Barber Racing is the best program available in auto racing education with the best instruction; PERIOD.

Since that very first weekend I have continued to learn on a continuous basis from the instructors about driving and from the drivers about life. Without SBR this would never have happened. The feedback received from every session coupled with the on track experiences (including many, many crashes) were monumental in helping me progress in both.

As the dream continues, positive experiences at the higher levels of motorsports are 100% because of what SBR taught me about the aspects of racing and about myself. They helped build the confidence needed, I am grateful and proud that I started with and continue to be associated to SBR. To this day I still jump into a Skippy weekend here and there and the reasons are simple... It’s fun, fast and IMO affordable seat time, and seat time is what it takes no matter what you are driving on the limit...

To Skip Barber Racing, associates past and present:

Thank you for being there for me, teaching me and making my life better.
Old 09-21-2011
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Videos Re: Thank you Skip Barber Racing

Thanks Peter, most here understand and would agree wholeheartedly with your thoughtful observations. I think it's safe to say the gang that assembled around 2000-04 and raced for quite a few years together was a remarkable group, a big wave of like-minded people who all fell hard for the SBRS and the amazing group of people who made it happen. No denying it has faced challenges and changed in many ways since then. For me personally it is all the missing faces that is the toughest change, the racing is secondary to that for me (but the series has to continue to get back on it's feet, the progress is encouraging). Everything changes, I get that, we just want the experience to continue putting that same hook in the coming waves of enthusiasts and future racing stars.

No doubt it changed my life.

Thanks again pard, well said
cdh
PS, I uploaded the 2009 intro to YouTube (the G&R tune made it past the black helicopters!! ) - a reminder of why we love it
Old 09-21-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Re: Thank you Skip Barber Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML Peter Ludwig View Post
I have learned so much about myself, simultaneously forging tremendous friendships with deddicated staff and drivers alike (John Pew being the first during that school, I am so very happy we became the friends that we are today).

There is no doubt that Skippy Barber Racing is the best program available in auto racing education with the best instruction; PERIOD.

Peter,

Congratulations on your win, what is sure to be the first of many to come! And thanks for such an eloquent and heartfelt post! The fact that so many "gentleman" drivers (and I use the term loosely ) have come out of the SBRS proving grounds and found real success in the insanely competitive world of pro racing is testament to the quality and relevance of the training we get and which you describe so well. But even for those of us who may never find ourselves in a seat in the pros, the sentiments you express resonate deeply. SBRS has provided the arena for me to learn life-changing things about myself that I found no where else, and it has brought me into contact with people I see as my closest friends now, people I never want to lose touch with, people I never would have otherwise met. SBRS has meant everything to me that you describe, and as Doug confirms, many others share that feeling. Who would've ever thought that a mild-mannered guy like me would ever willingly squeeze himself between another car and the pitwall at RA at 100+ mph like in Doug's video? (no that's not me but it's crazy how often I've been there!-- and no, I don't tell my mom!)

And, as Doug says, why so many of us have put so much effort into giving good advice from the customer's perspective to help keep this great thing going in the best way possible in spite of the challenges.

Good luck in Atlanta, buddy!
Old 09-21-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML Peter Ludwig View Post

(LIKE!) <- since we dont have a Like button on this forum yet

I have been intending for the last few weeks to make a similar post.

To add to what has been said above.

1] I cannot believe how generous the instructors are with their time. They frequently will spend lots of extra time to help out.

2] It is always amazing to me how accurate they are with what they are telling you. Ill never forget when Tommy Fogarty told me I need to stop coming off, and going back into a corner T5 at Seca and just do a long continuous brake. I was like WTF - how can u see that from the corner? Anyway - it helped me tremendously.

3] SB changed my life. I have lost over 30 lbs and am in way better shape than when I started racing 3 years ago. I run 5 miles every other day as I train for racing and this obviously helps me out in many others of my life.

4] This is the best stress reliever ever invented. I come back to work fully energized.

5] Like Peter said - I have 'forged' some deep friendships that can only come from the heat that is generated being inches away at speed around corners Part 2 of this is that the frienemies will actually help you out which is rare in a competition.

6] The instructors are dope. (I know that is repeat but I wanted to say it again)

I could go on but I have to go work out now for LRP
Old 09-21-2011
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post

1] I cannot believe how generous the instructors are with their time. They frequently will spend lots of extra time to help out.

2] It is always amazing to me how accurate they are with what they are telling you.

6] The instructors are dope.
+1. Well said.
Old 09-21-2011
administrationistperson

Videos Re: Thank you Skip Barber Racing

Yeah Strelz, agree...keep looking for the LIKE button! Good posts

More of why we love it (YT is unexpectedly letting these thru so I'm adding more to my channel)

Nats 09, Ready One

Shut Up and Drive / Yello

Last edited by cdh; 09-21-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
PS, I uploaded the 2009 intro to YouTube (the G&R tune made it past the black helicopters!! ) - a reminder of why we love it

Doug,
I love this video.

Looking back at that video brings me back to one of the highlights of my life. After much work with the coaching crew - i got my first podium and then after crossing the finish line I think I had a muscle spasm and I was trying to work it out.

I cant explain all my fist pumps!
Old 09-21-2011
G-force junkie

Quote:
[/INDENT]Doug,
I cant explain all my fist pumps!
Greg, that fist pump sequence is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my entire life!
Old 09-21-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
Looking back at that video brings me back to one of the highlights of my life.
THAT explains the fist pumps....that and adrenaline baby, and a great race and friendships, the best of times......Thanks, glad you like the vid.

One more, with Lugnuts permission as I jab him pretty good, he's a good sport, as Sid would say, he gets it

Had to use my FB upload of this one, my luck with YouTube censors ran out with Warren

Old 09-21-2011
G-force junkie

Man, Doug, your vids are always AWESOME!!

Thanks to you we have feature-quality home movies of the best times of our lives!

Quote:
my luck with YouTube censors ran out with Warren
no irony there, Warren was all about luck running out.
Old 09-22-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Aw, you guys are awesome. I'll be sure to pass your thanks along to others who may not make it on here regularly.

You are certainly an entertaining group to be around, and working with you at race weekends is the highlight of my job!
Old 09-22-2011

Gallery Images: 1

Great post, Peter.. I agree wholeheartedly ..I did my first 3 day racing school with Peter(he was just a young lad then) and my son, Travis. When I took the school I did it for a fun father/son weekend, and never intended to go any farther than that one school. I guess I was wrong about that. I will always remember the great times and great friends, like Peter, I made over the years at Skip..The people that work or have worked at Skip are some of the most passionate people I have ever met. The biggest and most important asset of the company. Lifelong friends for sure, plus the best training pro or not
Old 09-22-2011
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Great post and great thread. Thanks Peter for reminding us why we're here.

Skip Barber people (both instructors and racers) and training has changed my life in ways I'm still humbled by and grateful for every day. Best moment of the year was standing with Vicki at the LRP downhill flag station giving our daughter Julia a standing ovation as she took the cool down lap of her 3 day. Just paying it forward. We can all give thanks and count our blessings.

One nice footnote to this is all three drivers in the winning GTC car (Spencer, Peter and Duncan) were all Skip Barber racers.
Old 09-22-2011
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 33

I MISS ALL OF YOU!! I've been coming to races for 8 years and haven't raced at all. Why do you think I keep going? (Sorry Dad, its not only to cheer you on ) Everyone is fun to be around, whether its racers, instructors, or family/friends. And even when I'm not racing I learn a lot, and the instructors don't mind answering my annoying questions. Cant wait to see you all at Limerock!

Also, I was thinking, wouldn't it be great to Skype NickNick in to the banquet or something?
Old 09-22-2011
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Great post and great thread. Thanks Peter for reminding us why we're here.

Skip Barber people (both instructors and racers) and training has changed my life in ways I'm still humbled by and grateful for every day. Best moment of the year was standing with Vicki at the LRP downhill flag station giving our daughter Julia a standing ovation as she took the cool down lap of her 3 day. Just paying it forward. We can all give thanks and count our blessings.

One nice footnote to this is all three drivers in the winning GTC car (Spencer, Peter and Duncan) were all Skip Barber racers.
Awww Popperoni, I love you.
Old 09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp56 View Post
... and never intended to go any farther than that one school. I guess I was wrong about that
me 2.. funny how it gets into ur blood!!
Old 09-22-2011

Gallery Images: 8

Peter's and everyone's sentiments here ring so very true for me as well. I always say that I am so very fortunate to have met, raced and become friends and family with everyone at Skip Barber. The racing is truly the bonus after a wonderful meal.

I must also say that Doug's videos are timeless for me. I enjoy them so very much not just because he is so good at what he does technically, but because he captures what we all feel in the moments we share at SBRS! Thank you Doug!!!

With that said, the year end banquet will be a tough one this year for many of us. We have lost 2 dear friends to untimely deaths. Sid and Wally gave us so much over the years. I miss them both so very much. We have lost some very key people in the Skippy community due to the changes made in the company this year as well. I know it is going to be very different....and last but not least, we will be without Doug's masterfully crafted year-end series video. What the hell are we going to do? Somehow, some way I have faith that the best and brightest in the series will rise to the occasion and make the banquet memorable. Ideas?
Old 09-22-2011
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Julia suggested we Skype in Nick Nick. Works for me...
All kinds of possibilities.
We could have a few words with him before he'd send us on our way with some variant of the word "Jackass"
Old 09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer View Post
.and last but not least, we will be without Doug's masterfully crafted year-end series video. What the hell are we going to do?
I was surprised when Doug told me that he wasn't going to be doing the banquet video (for several reasons, one of which is because no one at the company asked him). I was even more surprised to find out from Alex that she and Mike are frantically going through videos to piece something together because SBRS just asked them to. That was about a week or two ago, and they'd just been asked. Great planning...
Old 09-23-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekychica View Post
SBRS just asked them to. That was about a week or two ago, and they'd just been asked. Great planning...
Weeks to finish it in? PFFFFFT! Kid's stuff, I did mine in a few (sleepless) days

Seriously, thank you all from the bottom of my heart, I mean that, but I wouldn't have been doing them this year anyway. Call it burn-out on the subject matter but these became torturous edits, maybe a sabbatical is needed, I ran out of ideas and inspiration, it became a dreaded assignment. Have to admit I'm happy to not be staring at that deadline right now, and I know Mike and Alex will assemble something fun. I also hope they are being properly compensated (hint : there is a deadline, you control the final product...and therefore payment )

Last note - I want to say a HUGE thanks again to Todd Snyder, he was the one who got these on the program starting in 2004, he was the one who kept them going, he was the one who was so generous in our production agreements, none of this would have happened without him. He also often helped with the content and creative ideas (along with Duke, RB, Sid, Nick Nick, Rob, so many of you, thanks all). Mike Marino and Alex were both always a big help, these wouldn't have been any good without their awesome incar footage and help...THANKS!!! To all the still photogs and staff, a big thanks also, these vids were always a team effort, which imo is the essence of what make the SBRS so special, what a funny, creative team to work with.

A very special thank-you goes to Pat Daly, always my key man in the production process (and doing it mostly for the love of racing and SB, so generous). His ideas, scripts, extra footage and especially voice-overs made my life much easier in the crunch times, thanks buddy, you always made me look good!

Thanks again Todd! Miss you!!

Last edited by cdh; 09-23-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2011
you call that exit speed?
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

I attended my three day in 1985. (holy crap) and fell into the arms of a wonderful family. The instructors are and will be the best in the business, from Walt Borhen, Bruce McInnis, Duck, Danny Sullivan, Brian Till, Dorsey, Robbie Buhl, Jeremy Dale of the past to Terry Earwood, Jim Pace, Spencer Pompelly, Brian Sellers, Grant Ryley, Steve Welk, Todd Snyder, Phil Lombardi, and all the pedal pushing winners this place provides for the customer to learn from. My instructors inputs took me to places of success in motorsports and gave me the ability and desire to give back as an instructor.

I still to this day am good friends with guys i met in my first year of racing with SB, they are, as many of you know, on a level of friendship that can only be obtained from a battle on the tarmac that instills the trust and apprieciation of a true competitor and when the stars align a friend.

We do not arrive for the cutting edge cars , or transport, or hospitality, but for the instruction, camaraderie and friendships. Dinners, good god - Siebkins, booze cruzes, race stories, personal stories, bullshit stories, they are all the stuff that goes into the indescribable concoction we know and love as Skip Barber.

I am not part of actual group anymore (hopefully again) by orders from the commander and chief(s), but I will always be part of SB as you can't take it away from me or me away from it, as it is in my heart and sole. I hope all the great memories this place provided to me continues for others for many years to come.

Yours Respectfully,

Don
Old 09-25-2011

Gallery Images: 6

Great comments by everyone - clearly we have all created vast wealth of memories from our various associations with Skippy - I have made a lot of great friends, immensely enjoyed the experience of racing and spending time with you all and count many of you (drivers, instuctors and staff) as some of my closest friends. I think it is especially important to remember what the race series is, and has always been about - providing top level race driving education (and related experiences) to drivers that want to fully experience the thrill of racing wheel-to-wheel with their peers. I believe that Skippy has no equal in this domain and, like Don, I hope that the opportunities provided by the Skippy experience are enjoyed by others for many years to come.
Old 09-28-2011
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

My first Skip experience was a Ride and drive for Dodge at Pocono Raceway. The instructors were so Cheerful as we hamfisted our way around the road course and cones. I was watching the Bertl Roos cars at the other end of the raceway, and was politely told "When you are old enough George, Take the 3 day with Skip Barber." This was 1989
Fast forward to 1999. Took the three day at Watkins during Hurricane David and learned the rain line first. Todd Snyder and Peter Argetsinger plunged the needle deep into my vein and I was addicted.
Three 2 day schools and multiple lapping session later, I was coaxed into a race weekend. Chris Brassard was my mentor (some mentor.... He later sold me an insurance policy I keep renewing each year) and thus became the Skip experience.
But this is the Skip Experience that matters.... After a bout with cancer in 2008, I had a number of goals that needed to be accomplished. Three months after surgery I walked down the pit lane at Lime Rock and was greeted by Instructors and fellow Drivers who made the Skip Experience ring true. It is Sooooooo much more than just getting in a car and going fast.
Todd Snyder.... I kept it a secret until now like you said..... But being bump drafted down the back straight at Watkins at a 2 day school was the thrill of a lifetime ( Every lap he showed me how slow I was..... But I did work up enough speed to let him get close but no hitting)
And what can you say about Doug Harrison.... He records everything and makes us all look like stars
Hey Paul Subject!....... American comedians ARE funnier than Canadians......... Bill Murray

George

Bookmark This Thread