Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 10-16-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Lightbulb What functions do drivers want on the SBRS website?

The opening up of lines of communication between SBRS company mangement, the instructors, and drivers by new CEO Michael Culver is the long-awaited chance for we racers to help shape our Skip Barber experience. Our frustration as customers and friends over what we were seeing happen over the past couple of years led to extensive forum discussions which we all remember. The time has finally come to make suggestions in earnest. Given the challenge of the current economic environment, the rate of implementation of many ideas will depend on how they stack up to other needs requiring attention, and by how resources are apportioned. Nevertheless, creativity is still needed to increase the satisfaction and retention of those customers for whom racing is a drug, er I mean a necessity, no I mean a high-priority quality-of-life enhancer.

So I just got off the phone w Robt Lowe, the Skip IT guy. He wants to know what functionality drivers would like to see on the Skip website. He will look into these suggestions and determine what it would take to make them happen. Hopefully he can implement as many ideas as are feasible and affordable. To get things started here is what I would like to see:

immediate availability of session results and laptimes as they occur for both National and Regional events, rather than the following week as now occurs
van around videos of every track and/or in-car instructor laps of every track with voice-over narration
instructor generated track notes for every track
twitter like updates throughout an event
"race notes" for each race, available live or at least by the end of the day
live timing at some point in the future

Please agree, disagree, or give me additional ideas.
Old 10-17-2009
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: What functions do drivers want on the SBRS website?

I'm not a driver, and this isn't really a priority, but it was nice when they had a little box on the SBRS front page with links to the 3-5 most recent Series/race weekend news stories. That way, you could access it from the home page, rather than navigating to "News".
Old 10-17-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Most of these suggestions are functions of more man/woman power to implement.

Immediate posting of race results and written race reports assumes the staffing to devote themselves exclusively to those tasks.

Real time data is a technology issue. Once the technology is in place it shouldn't require a lot of maintenance or man hours to implement but I've no idea what's involved. Suspect if it was cheap and easy more would be doing it. Perhaps a discussion with IMSA could enlighten us.

We could create our own video van-around database here on Skippyforums and do seasonal updates much easier than SBRS could do it. An instructor track note forum with a thread for each track might work well. Asking instructors their preference on the issue would also be useful.

Shouldn't participants be giving live updates in the twitter mode rather than SBRS staff? Other than the thoughtful reports we get a few days after the event I'd prefer staff be working on the event itself rather than reporting it real time. No problem with speeding up the reports, just don't want staff twittering rather than attending to the event.

The race reports we enjoy on the SBRS site take a while for a reason. They require accurate reporting, decent writing skills and the time to execute.

For the first time Skippyforums is being viewed by SBRS as a welcomed customer feedback and communications tool. The ways in which our relationship will grow has yet to be determined but we're thrilled at the intelligence of that decision and look forward to seeing this site grow into it's full potential as a virtual clubhouse for the SBRS community.
Old 10-17-2009
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

watching F1 practice DD? (up late) Hi Cheeky

okok, will post on topic later
Old 10-17-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

An archive of results from previous seasons would be nice. That request is from the standpoint of an experienced racer.

As for somethng that might help to grab the newcomer, perhaps having some vidoes of typical scenes around the paddock during a practice day or race day might be useful. The camaraderie is always appealing, and if someone wondering about the racing series could see how much fiun we have just hanging around with each other, that would add an aspect beyond just getting in a racecar and going fast. Please do not have these things play automatically, however. I hate websites where I am instantly subjected to a stream of videos. On the other hand, having videos available that I can click on at my choice is appealing.
Old 10-17-2009
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Implementing the MyLaps software is an option for tracking and archiving lap times. However, this system could imply more costs to SBRS initially.

Jody
Old 10-17-2009
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
van around videos of every track and/or in-car instructor laps of every track with voice-over narration
instructor generated track notes for every track
The van around videos would certainly be great for preparing to come to a race weekend. However, SBRS might consider that sort of thing a bit proprietary. What could happen with that is a watered down video of just the generic track info (e.g., "there's pit out," "turn one is a right hander," "ooh, look at the pretty tree!" etc.). Or, it could be a full-blown professionally done deal accessible only to customers in a restricted area of the website. Or, something in between.

This is TOTALLY my opinion but, as far as the instructor notes, we give you that stuff every time you come off the race track. You should be writing it down on the maps we give you. We try to make the learning curve as steep as possible, but if we make it TOO easy, analyzing your own performance suffers as does your ability to coach yourself. Every time you come off the track you should do a debrief, if only to yourself. I know that you, Harsha, are VERY analytical about what you're doing on track and how you can improve. If you, or anybody, wants some help on what sorts of things go on a track map, let me know. I can show you the kinds of maps I do. We'll give you the information, we'll show you how to organize it, but you'll understand and remember it much better if you make the maps yourself.

Again, that's my opinion and you guys are the customers, so feel free to tell me where to put that!

Pete

Old 10-17-2009
G-force junkie

Pat, very useful points that stimulated further thinking on my part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
For the first time Skippyforums is being viewed by SBRS as a welcomed customer feedback and communications tool. The ways in which our relationship will grow has yet to be determined but we're thrilled at the intelligence of that decision and look forward to seeing this site grow into it's full potential as a virtual clubhouse for the SBRS community.
Absolutely agree w you. However the process I am asking about is how to enlarge the footprint and and enhance the customer experience of SBRS, such that it attracts a larger proportion of the discretionary dollars spent in the U.S. on amateur racing, pre-professional driver development, race coaching, defensive driving/driving safety/road driving skill improvement, and advanced driving techniques. Race driving instruction is the core competency of SBRS from which everything else springs, and as much content related to this as possible should be directly accessible from the SBRS website in an interactive way. Skippyforums has its own essential role as a venue for fellowship and camraderie, networking, discussion, experiences (which include pics and vids), and yes, information and teaching. It has thrived for so long because of our loyalty and passion, and because it fills an essential role in our lives, as its independence from the company allows freedom of expression and opinion. Given that it's mission is now openly embraced by SB management, its role is certain to grow in new ways, but it should remain independent, true to its core mission as a community, and not be confused by anyone as an extension of the company itself. It also should not "steal" eyeballs from the SBRS website, but traffic can be driven to both of them synergistically.
Quote:
We could create our own video van-around database here on Skippyforums and do seasonal updates much easier than SBRS could do it. An instructor track note forum with a thread for each track might work well. Asking instructors their preference on the issue would also be useful.
Following from my above thoughts, I think instructor-originated content most naturally belongs on the SBRS website itself, with whom they are officially contracted. But there is no reason why copies cannot reside on the Skippyforums site. In fact, that may allow greater dissemination and accessibility of the content, and stimulate the growth of both sites through "cross-pollination."
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Immediate posting of race results and written race reports assumes the staffing to devote themselves exclusively to those tasks.
The staffing for posting of race data is already in place in Timing and Scoring (Alyssa and Kerry). Posting is just one more step they would perform at the end of a session. Or this could be automated as Jody references below. Re race reports see below.

Quote:
Real time data is a technology issue. Once the technology is in place it shouldn't require a lot of maintenance or man hours to implement but I've no idea what's involved. Suspect if it was cheap and easy more would be doing it. Perhaps a discussion with IMSA could enlighten us.
Yes, we need to get the info on this, including cost.

Quote:
Shouldn't participants be giving live updates in the twitter mode rather than SBRS staff? Other than the thoughtful reports we get a few days after the event I'd prefer staff be working on the event itself rather than reporting it real time. No problem with speeding up the reports, just don't want staff twittering rather than attending to the event.
Good point. This would be a natural role for us at Skippyforums. Juicy members who would be willing to do this could team up an share the workload so that updates could continue regardless who was in the car. I think it would be fun and would volunteer to test the concept at the next event.

Quote:
The race reports we enjoy on the SBRS site take a while for a reason. They require accurate reporting, decent writing skills and the time to execute.
Agree. I was thinking more of the "race notes" that accompany Jetta TDI Cup and the SCCA National Runoff events, for example. These are twitter like brief notes describing the action as it unfolds, posted online alongside the live timing. Resembles a running log. In the SB application, someone could twitter during the race and then at the end simply pull all the twitters together into one document that then gets posted as a race "report." The well-written race reports could come out as they do now, and they are certainly needed for the background, human interest, and good writing that they exemplify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post
An archive of results from previous seasons would be nice. That request is from the standpoint of an experienced racer.
News archive of race reports of every race weekend going back to 2004: http://www.skipbarber.com/news/news....sting=regional
Race times and results going back to 2004 available here: http://www.skipbarber.com/race_serie...eventid=194010
Agree these require navigation and more obvious access would be nice.

Quote:
As for somethng that might help to grab the newcomer, perhaps having some vidoes of typical scenes around the paddock during a practice day or race day might be useful. The camaraderie is always appealing, and if someone wondering about the racing series could see how much fiun we have just hanging around with each other, that would add an aspect beyond just getting in a racecar and going fast. Please do not have these things play automatically, however. I hate websites where I am instantly subjected to a stream of videos. On the other hand, having videos available that I can click on at my choice is appealing.
Great idea. Doug likely has gigabits of this stuff that he uses for banquet videos. Maybe we could have a couple of the old banquet videos available for clickable streaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Implementing the MyLaps software is an option for tracking and archiving lap times. However, this system could imply more costs to SBRS initially. Jody
Thanks Jody. We should at least find out what the costs are. If it automates the process and relieves manpower and reliability concerns ("did someone remember to upload the results?"), it may be judged to be cost-effective in the long run.

Last edited by Slowhands; 10-17-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2009
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
The van around videos would certainly be great for preparing to come to a race weekend. However, SBRS might consider that sort of thing a bit proprietary. What could happen with that is a watered down video of just the generic track info (e.g., "there's pit out," "turn one is a right hander," "ooh, look at the pretty tree!" etc.). Or, it could be a full-blown professionally done deal accessible only to customers in a restricted area of the website. Or, something in between.
We could require a customer no. and password to access this info. On the other hand, the info (where to turn in, what gear to use, track references) is fairly generic, and IMO is pretty useless without the actual immediate feedback sessions where instructors critique your actual driving. I personally would not worry about the proprietary aspect, IMO a misplaced concern. I think it is more important to make more obvious to the world the detail and high quality of instruction available to drivers as part of the SB experience, as well as the passion, personableness, and expertise of the instructors (all of which come across in a van-around). this could be a powerful attractant to true enthusiasts and would bring more drivers to us to get the full benefits of this teaching method. I would even bet that if SB started doing it, so would others like Bondurant, because of the appeal it would have to the potential customer. But certainly, these issues should be discussed.

Quote:
This is TOTALLY my opinion but, as far as the instructor notes, we give you that stuff every time you come off the race track. You should be writing it down on the maps we give you. We try to make the learning curve as steep as possible, but if we make it TOO easy, analyzing your own performance suffers as does your ability to coach yourself. Every time you come off the track you should do a debrief, if only to yourself. I know that you, Harsha, are VERY analytical about what you're doing on track and how you can improve. If you, or anybody, wants some help on what sorts of things go on a track map, let me know. I can show you the kinds of maps I do. We'll give you the information, we'll show you how to organize it, but you'll understand and remember it much better if you make the maps yourself.
Again, I think the info I am looking for on the website is the basic where-to-turn-in, what -gear-to-be-in variety, that gets you started at the track. What you are referring to is the more tailored, driver-specific stuff that yes, every driver should do himself. Thanks for the props, Peter, but it was an issue of survival for me. I HAD to be as analytical as I have been, as there is no way I would have gotten to the level of performance I have given the nature of my neural networking and neuromuscular motor programs when I started. And the LRP Master's Race shows that there is more work yet to do. But I am getting there! Thanks to you guys.

Quote:
Again, that's my opinion and you guys are the customers, so feel free to tell me where to put that!

Pete
Ya put it in the right place, in a post. Thanks! yourself.

Old 10-17-2009
Skippy Instructor

Gallery Images: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post

Ya put it in the right place, in a post.

Oh, I was expecting somebody to me where to SHOVE that. You guys are way too nice.

Old 10-17-2009
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekychica View Post
I'm not a driver, and this isn't really a priority, but it was nice when they had a little box on the SBRS front page with links to the 3-5 most recent Series/race weekend news stories. That way, you could access it from the home page, rather than navigating to "News".
Easy to do, and agree.
Old 10-17-2009
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
Oh, I was expecting somebody to me where to SHOVE that. You guys are way too nice.
We have a soft spot for the exploited and the misunderstood, as well as those benighted souls who own, drive, and maintain vintage military vehicles.
Old 10-17-2009
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 33

Of course the main focus on the Skip site should be racing based, but maybe there could be a section maybe titled "behind the racing" or "off the track", to show outsiders/prospective customers the amazing energy and people that gives Skip Barber that extra something over other racing schools...
I know everyone completely emerses themselves in preparing for their racing, and understandably is not focused on gathering extra media material (besides Doug of course, more power to you for insane multi-tasking), so maybe the spectators (as well as racers if they have the time) could be invited to post pics, video, endearing stories of the lovely drivers/instructors etc to add just a bit more punch to the website...
i know my mom's family got the three day school for my dad's birthday, and they have absolutely NO idea about car technical talk, so for someone inexperienced in racing lingo looking for a great gift, the atmosphere of the programs could be a great marketing tool, and a fun way for spectators to get more involved (i know im always looking for more stuff to do/help out with at races)... i could be very off topic if thats not what the site is looking for, but just an idea... ?
Old 10-17-2009
Grand Master

You are more on point than you think. Just finished a High Performance Driving School and gave hot laps to two moms who gave their son and significant other the school and had no clue what we were doing all day. They were both taken aback and enlightened in the 3 minutes it took to lap LRP three times in an M3. Anything we can do to entertain, educate and enlighten the friends and family members of participants only brings more potential students to both the racing and driving program.
Old 10-17-2009

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
They were both taken aback and enlightened in the 3 minutes it took to lap LRP three times in an M3.
Did you brake too heavily? Surely you were in the 58s.
Old 10-18-2009

HOOKERS, pLEASE
Old 10-18-2009
administrationistperson

yer killin me Yarab

Thanks Harsha

Van around vids are harmless imo, they are also huge vid files so youtube would be best as far as saving bandwidth charges, same with FB, I know Skip IT has concerns about it, it is a global site, bandwidth could get expensive.

I think the skip site is impressive overall, but navigation could be improved. The site is massive, maybe trimming it a bit to make room for some of these suggestions might not be a bad idea, but trim what? Would love to see the site traffic stats, see what people are actually looking at...wait, I can guess, pics and videos, they always get the most site traffic.

Everyone here aware Skip has a couple group pages on Facebook and My space? There people can and do upload pics, post stories, etc. It has been difficult to get a lot of different people uploading vids and pics here, thanks to those who do, so not sure if it would be that different on skip site. FB pages not super busy but they get traffic. It will be interesting to see what happens when our link-up with Skip happens. There will be links on FB and skip site soon, that will be a nice add to the Skip site and should get us more traffic, it it doesn't then nothing will.

So much to digest, those are a couple thoughts, more later - great thread, happy about Culver, happy Bob Z stepping into marketing for a while, good match there, lots of positive activity. Quote from Bob Z overheard at the banquet -

"I feel like we should all start singing Happy Days Are Here Again"

hear hear
Old 10-18-2009
Burger Flipper #2
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post

I wonder how recordings of the radio chatter would translate? Or even live webcast for those who cannot make it to the track. If it were in addition to the live timing, it would make for a very entertaining feed. It is as close to Skippy reality TV as we could get. Once the average SCCA racer saw how much fun we are having, who knows...
Old 10-18-2009
Pro Skid Padder
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

How bout driver info? Simple stuff
what you do
where your from
what series you race in
yrs in series
Old 10-19-2009
Grand Master

Based on your avatar... Looks like you've done the research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarab View Post
HOOKERS, pLEASE
Old 10-19-2009
G-force junkie

Quote:
Based on your avatar... Looks like you've done the research.
He is the research.
Old 10-20-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslonaker View Post
I wonder how recordings of the radio chatter would translate? Or even live webcast for those who cannot make it to the track. If it were in addition to the live timing, it would make for a very entertaining feed. It is as close to Skippy reality TV as we could get. Once the average SCCA racer saw how much fun we are having, who knows...
Live chatter feed would be hilarious, it can't be that tough, pretty sure you can set up streaming from my host co. for a fee so SB host must offer it...? Not sure but it would be a riot. =Get Strelz on the line, he'll know....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hall View Post
How bout driver info? Simple stuff
what you do
where your from
what series you race in
yrs in series
good one, also
years addicted
things you've done that you aren't proud of so you could race
years incarcerated
etc

Last edited by cdh; 10-20-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2009
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
You are more on point than you think. Just finished a High Performance Driving School and gave hot laps to two moms who gave their son and significant other the school and had no clue what we were doing all day. They were both taken aback and enlightened in the 3 minutes it took to lap LRP three times in an M3. Anything we can do to entertain, educate and enlighten the friends and family members of participants only brings more potential students to both the racing and driving program.
Three minutes! Not bad, DD. I thought I heard screams coming from somewhere.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 10-22-2009
Grand Master

The closed face helmet usually mutes screams but I was wearing an open faced helmet that day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Three minutes! Not bad, DD. I thought I heard screams coming from somewhere.
Old 10-24-2009
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Latest News headlines on the homepage. Three to six links direct to the articles.

More articles, especially ones that cover current and past SBRS drivers in addition to race weekend reports.

Daily or near daily articles drive traffic to the site.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use

Tags
in-car video , race series , track notes , van-around , website

Bookmark This Thread