Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 08-22-2005
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Lightbulb Say ya got around $32K to spend on a car.....

You may buy new or used. This car would be your daily driver.

Any car, any type, anything, what would you get knowing you will be living with it for several years?

Begin..........
Old 08-22-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Re: Say ya got around $32K to spend on a car.....

mazda 6. i just really like the way that car looks. its just a great looking sedan imo. but if you want an medium sized suv, i'd say nissan murano or honda pilot. large size would be a chevy tahoe or nissan armada.
Old 08-22-2005
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1997

You HAVE to get this thing, its beautiful:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Red-T...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-22-2005
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude

damn, and only 100,000K miles, automatic, a steal (ay yi yi, how sad)

Should we bomb him with inane questions in emails? No, he has suffered enough...
Old 08-22-2005
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Eau-My-Gauwd! Its a beautiful rare early Red Ferriero... And only 100,000 miles... Gotta Have it! I bid 30 Grand! (But don't tell anyone... I want this baby all to myself.)

Quote:

Old 08-22-2005
Grand Master

Too Late... The Ferriero's gone... Barrett/Jackson snapped it up...

Instead, an M3 or M5 (more family room) formerly owned by a 78 year old librarian for summer and a V8 A6 (owned by that same librarian) for winter.

Last edited by dalyduo; 08-23-2005 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-22-2005
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

'95 Porsche 911 with 60k. Slap winters on her and it's a tank. Bulletproof daily driver and a load of fun.

New F-150 FX4. Ford family plan discount. After taxes and a spray in liner, you can just about fill the 37 gallon optional tank up to the top.
Old 08-22-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraige
'95 Porsche 911 with 60k. Slap winters on her and it's a tank.
Got to be the best drive-it-all-year-round sports car going In my humble—I've wanted a 911 since I was 13—opinion.
Old 08-23-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Would you go to $35k?

Look into the Mitsubishi Evo MR... 0-60 in mid 4 sec range... 4 seats... very closely based on rally car, so should do ok in the winter.

I'm thinking of buying one... just heard there may be an Evo 9 this fall....

Ask Josh Rehm or Nick Longhi... they will tell you it is the only car to own at any price.
Old 08-23-2005
Bavarian Berserk

I'd have to agree with Michael. 2002 M3 would be a decent choice, too. Should be around with 30K Miles.

I believe the RT2000s fetch similar prices. Tons of fun, a little limiting on the daily drive though.
Old 08-24-2005
Team OC/AD D

Don't buy a 2002 M3. They have potential 'Kablamo' issues, and the extended 100K mile/6 Year warranty didn't start till 2003. What the hell does Birkmama know about BMW's anyway?

Want an astounding car, cheap? Check this out (really check it out, all of the pics, text etc.) It's quite unbelievable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAMBO...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-24-2005

sy, actually the 100k mile warranty on the engine is for all e46 m3's except 2005 and beyond. so, its actually safe to buy any e46 m3 as long as its not a 2005. although mine is an early build february 2001, i trust it'll last.
Old 08-24-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
sy, actually the 100k mile warranty on the engine is for all e46 m3's except 2005 and beyond. so, its actually safe to buy any e46 m3 as long as its not a 2005. although mine is an early build february 2001, i trust it'll last.
Did they give that warranty upgrade retroactively? I thought they introduced the new warranty in 2003.
Old 08-24-2005

from what i understand, the warranty is valid for all cars that had bearing recall done in an appropriate time. the 2005 cars dont need a bearing recall since bmw apparently "fixed" the issue. so yes, the warranty upgrade is retroactive. if this isnt true, i will be selling my car very soon. my car was a demo before i bought it at 18k miles.
Old 08-25-2005
Bavarian Berserk

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
Ari - you are my boy! Have a beer on me!
And of course you are also right. The warranty has been introduced in 2003 but with retroactive effect.
There is no doubt there was a higher number of Kablamos than the company wanted (they want nil), but there were not nearly as much as reported in various forums. If my memory does not fool me there were 47 claims for some 10,000 or more cars sold.

In order to appease the hysteria in the BMW community, this warranty was installed.

Sy, please be aware that said warranty is covering only the engine. And now I am biting my lip...
Old 08-25-2005
Team OC/AD D

You mean, it will not cover the transmission for damage that occurs from CLUTCHLESS shifting?! I will be extra careful!
Old 08-25-2005
Bavarian Berserk

Quote:
You mean, it will not cover the transmission for damage that occurs from CLUTCHLESS shifting?! I will be extra careful!
Ahem....no, not exactly. Since they have enjoyed such a tremendous popularity lately, let me try a visual clue...
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	SARDINEC.jpe
Views:	294
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	747  
Old 08-25-2005
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkmama
Ahem....no, not exactly. Since they have enjoyed such a tremendous popularity lately, let me try a visual clue...
cruel Mama but I guess we must be cruel sometimes..... ........................

Last edited by cdh; 08-25-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2005
Team OC/AD D

I'm still not ready to share my pain. I can't even look at the video. Maybe when we get back from the Ring.
Old 08-28-2005
Mbr Lacking Visor Sticker

The 400HP 2005 Pontiac GTO

Aside from a Tahoe and a made over Fiero you guys seem quite slanted towards the imports. Therefore let me fan the flames with the car that has caught and held my interest for a few months now.

If I had your 32K I would head right to the dealer without stopping along the way. I'd get the 6 speed manual to avoid the $1300 gas-guzzler tax. Impulse purchase? Yes, but sometimes you just gotta go with it. You might feel more comfortable if you actually test drove one first.

I suspect the ride quality could be better than some of the other cars in its class at the expense of cornering capability. But, With all that power and torque (and traction control) you should be able to at least maintain eye contact with your opponent.

Name:	028169-E.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	753  
Old 09-01-2005
administrationistperson

another candidate, anyone have any experience with this car? 298 HP, big bang for the buck, nice styling....they always get a 2nd look from me when I see one.

Last edited by cdh; 09-07-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2005
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 482

A few points here:

1. I hate to burst your bubble, p4interloper, but the current GTO is an import. It is better known as the Holden Monaro and comes from the Land Down Under, where men are men and sheep are nervous.

2. I agree with Amok about the Mitsu Evo -- you would be very hard-presssed to find a car with more sheer performance per dollar at any price. However, in the bargain you also have to accept an interior with furnishings that are a bit low-rent and cop-bait exterior trim bits like the enormous wing.

3. Permit me to suggest the best of both worlds -- a Mini Cooper S with the JCW engine treatment. The convertible would come in around $32k if you exercise restraint with the option list and if you got the coupe you could go nuts with options and still come in under $30k. This 2,800 pound car with 215 horsepower and a 6-speed is a constant joy to drive and corners absolutely flat with either the standard 16" or optional 17" rubber. You can flog it around all day and have a ball -- unlike cars with much higher absolute limits (i.e. the Evo and M3) that you have to drive at 5/10ths on the street all the time. No gaudy wings or scoops, just a couple of sublte JCW badges. Hey, I put my money where my mouth is -- my 2005 JCW convertible now has almost 10,000 miles and I'm loving it. Plus, in these days of $3.25 (and climbing) gas prices, it's pretty frugal -- my JCW Mini gets 27mpg combined city/highway, despite my heavy right foot.
Old 09-01-2005
Grand Master

We need a picture of that bad boy... Come to think of it... Don't you have twins in your stable?
Old 09-02-2005
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie
A few points here:
3. Permit me to suggest the best of both worlds -- a Mini Cooper S with the JCW engine treatment. The convertible would come in around $32k if you exercise restraint with the option list and if you got the coupe you could go nuts with options and still come in under $30k. This 2,800 pound car with 215 horsepower and a 6-speed is a constant joy to drive and corners absolutely flat with either the standard 16" or optional 17" rubber. You can flog it around all day and have a ball -- unlike cars with much higher absolute limits (i.e. the Evo and M3) that you have to drive at 5/10ths on the street all the time. No gaudy wings or scoops, just a couple of sublte JCW badges. Hey, I put my money where my mouth is -- my 2005 JCW convertible now has almost 10,000 miles and I'm loving it. Plus, in these days of $3.25 (and climbing) gas prices, it's pretty frugal -- my JCW Mini gets 27mpg combined city/highway, despite my heavy right foot.
You win the prize Moxie........that is exactly the car I was considering (not cabrio) but I wanted to see if anyone agreed. The only downside I see is the front drive. Anyone else out there with experience/opinion of the Mini S JCW?

Evo nice but ugly IMHO, I am going to drive the Infiniti on Monday but it just doesn't get me that excited. I could get another new '05 Boxster S (it would be my 4th Box, there must be a 12 step program out there for this) or I could get something in this lower price range and over 3 years save enough (in Porsche lease payments) to do much more SBRS racing........

Hmm, I'll take the car and the racing please.

Now all I have to do is decide. Moxie, I would like to ask you some questions on the Mini, can you email me your phone #? Thanks

Old 09-02-2005
Junior West Coaster

I had a JCW Cooper S till Feb, but I don't personally think it's worth it. It's certainly a great fun car, but the charm wore off for me after a while. In standard trim the engine isn't up to the job, but the JCW option is simply more expensive than it should be. That being said, you can go through the aftermarket and get all the power of the JCW (and more) for a much lower price. The Cooper S is a far cry from the most reliable ride in the world too. Mine had chronic cooling problems and I know plenty of people who have gone through supercharger after supercharger on bone stock cars.

I moved on to a S2000, which I would recommend if you weren't coming from a Boxster S. It's a great performance deal, but the Boxster S handles that bit better, goes that bit faster (or should), and is that bit more engaging to drive. You get what you pay for in that regard. The one hole in the Honda's driving experience in the electric power steering, which isn't big on communication, although the weighting and response is superb. It's loud top up or down also, so long road trips aren't great if you mind that sort of thing.
Old 09-02-2005
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
I had a JCW Cooper S till Feb, but I don't personally think it's worth it. It's certainly a great fun car, but the charm wore off for me after a while. In standard trim the engine isn't up to the job, but the JCW option is simply more expensive than it should be. That being said, you can go through the aftermarket and get all the power of the JCW (and more) for a much lower price. The Cooper S is a far cry from the most reliable ride in the world too. Mine had chronic cooling problems and I know plenty of people who have gone through supercharger after supercharger on bone stock cars..
What year / how long did you own the Cooper Duncan?
Old 09-02-2005
Junior West Coaster

I had an 04 for about a year, of which it spent about a quarter of the time in the service bay at the dealership. I certainly have some fond memories of the car, but I don't miss it either.
Old 09-02-2005
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
I had an 04 for about a year, of which it spent about a quarter of the time in the service bay at the dealership. I certainly have some fond memories of the car, but I don't miss it either.
That reminds me of my 1993 3rd generation RX-7 twin turbo, great car, new model (dealer said I had first in US) and nothing but trouble. BUT, it was a weird circumstance.

I replaced the orig tires with new Bridgestones of the exact dimensions as the orig. tires but they were in fact 1/4" wider than the old tires (which were made specifically for that car by Pirelli, maybe they 'cheated' on the specs?). That slight difference in width caused chaffing of the wheel well liner at full lock going over bumps or entering driveways. There was a wiring harness behind the well liner right where it was chaffing and it eventually wore through causing shorts. Needless to say this was an elusive problem that cost the dealer $45,000 over 5 years of chasing the problems and endless frustration for me.

I have read a lot of forum posts on the JCW and I don't find many citing problems like you experienced. Lemons are real and perhaps that's what happened?

I really appreciate the input and you have definitely spooked me. I agree you can get the JWC parts aftermarket but there goes your warranty so I don't consider that an option. Dick Lippert has an S that he loves and has not had any problems with, do you think the reliability woes you had were due to the JWC upgrades?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2005
Junior West Coaster

While I have no doubts that the JCW engine makes for a hotter lump under the hood than the stock engine does, I haven't heard about any other owners with my exact problems, so I would say that my problems were limited to the cooling system, along with bad luck. The most common serious problem I hear about with the car is blown superchargers.

My real beef with the JCW package is that I don't think it's worth the price, even with the warranty. That of course is a personal value judgement though, and whether one thinks the package is worth it is probably directly linked to how much the person loves the Cooper S to begin with.
Old 09-02-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
That reminds me of my 1993 3rd generation RX-7 twin turbo, great car, new model (dealer said I had first in US) and nothing but trouble.
My dealer said I had the first one sold in NYC... I had the R package. Most fun car I have EVER driven. But in the short period of time I owned it, it spent 50 days in the shop. One nightmare after another. Eventually, it got stolen out of my driveway. I was ecstatic! I made money as the book value was higher than what I owed! BTW... to get the RX7 they had to go over my grass to get around a 1 day old 911... go figure.

I like the JCW Mini a lot... but agree with Duncan that it seems overpriced.
Old 09-02-2005
administrationistperson

I wonder how many other owners took a shot like this?

Name:	rx7tt2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	762  

Last edited by cdh; 09-03-2005 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2005
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
I like the JCW Mini a lot... but agree with Duncan that it seems overpriced.
Yes, another common complaint in the forums but most agreed it was worth doing if you could. There is another camp that argues the warranty can only be voided if the aftermarket products were the direct cause of a failure, which is difficult and expensive to prove. I would rather avoid the argument completely and go with JCW parts.

Last edited by cdh; 09-03-2005 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2005
administrationistperson

Mini - BMW - ?

What is the relationship? Are Mini's BMW's? Mama?

hard to resist though (and the car is nice too)....

Name:	mini.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	763   Click image for larger version

Name:	msjcw01.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	764   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrks.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	765  

Last edited by cdh; 09-03-2005 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-03-2005
Grand Master

Are you serious Doug? BMW has owned the new mini all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Mini - BMW - ?

What is the relationship? Are Mini's BMW's? Mama?

hard to resist though (and the car is nice too)....
Old 09-03-2005

Yesterday, I happened to stop by Mini of Fairfield County -- not for service, but to pick up tickets to the LRP Vintage Festival this weekend -- and I raised Duncan's issues with them. Here's what I was told by Peter Braun, one of the senior guys:

The overheating problem was confined to some 2002 models and was caused by coolant loss from too-small radiator overflow tanks. The problem was fixed under warranty has has not been reported in any subsequent models, which have larger reservior tanks.

Peter has never heard of blown superchargers that were stock. He noted, however, that some aftermarket tuners offer "15% belts" for a quick-and-dirty power boost -- the belt is 15% shorter (sometimes even more) and causes the supercharger to spin 15% faster, creating more boost -- and that has been reported to lead to over-revving problems with superchargers and other components that are driven in tandem (like the water pump).

I have not personally experienced any reliability problems, knock wood. But hey, it's a British car, not a Lexus. Personality versus perfection. You know what they say -- the reason the British don't build computers is because they can't figure out how to make them leak oil.
Old 09-03-2005
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Are you serious Doug? BMW has owned the new mini all along.
I guess I wasn't clear. Yes, I know BMW owns Mini, I was wondering, given some of the reliability problems posted here, how closely the Mini is under the direction of the parent BMW. Are they built in Germany, designed by the BMW team, serviced by BMW trained techs, that sort of thing.
Old 09-03-2005
administrationistperson

Quote:
...Peter has never heard of blown superchargers that were stock. He noted, however, that some aftermarket tuners offer "15% belts" for a quick-and-dirty power boost -- the belt is 15% shorter (sometimes even more) and causes the supercharger to spin 15% faster, creating more boost -- and that has been reported to lead to over-revving problems with superchargers and other components that are driven in tandem (like the water pump).
Wouldn't that be a 15% pulley? Belt length would have nothing to do with the pulley/compressor speed.

For a completely insane (and warranty busting) upgrade, scroll down and look at the Helix TurboKompressor Kit
Old 09-03-2005
Bavarian Berserk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
I guess I wasn't clear. Yes, I know BMW owns Mini, I was wondering, given some of the reliability problems posted here, how closely the Mini is under the direction of the parent BMW. Are they built in Germany, designed by the BMW team, serviced by BMW trained techs, that sort of thing.
CDH,
Mini is engineered and developped by the BMW Group. Quality management, production technologies etc are all in line with the overall BMW standards.
They are build in Oxford, in an own new factory. Most of the staff is British.

When the Mini first launched it was an all new platform, all new factory and the first front wheel drive in the BMW group in a mighty long time. I think most of the kinks would have to be ironed out by now.

In terms of the value for the JCW I only can tell you that the market mainly thinks it is worth it. Before deciding disucss with your dealer how JCW effects the residual value - even if you are not intending on leasing. It should provide you a good indication if the money is well spent or if it is an expensive hobby. But who would mind expensive hobbies in this forum?
Old 09-03-2005

I've heard through word of mouth that the MINI engines are rebadged dodge neon engines. Nevertheless I had a regular 2002 MINI for 3 years and never had any major problems. It was awesome to paralell park where noone else can. Sometimes if two cars are parked right you can squeeze a free space in between.
Old 09-03-2005
Junior West Coaster

Quote:
Yesterday, I happened to stop by Mini of Fairfield County -- not for service, but to pick up tickets to the LRP Vintage Festival this weekend -- and I raised Duncan's issues with them. Here's what I was told by Peter Braun, one of the senior guys:
For what it's worth, mine was a 2004, not a 2002. Also, the various blown superchargers that I've seen and heard of are often on stock engines, not ones running pullies.

I'm not trying to say that if you buy a MCS you will blow your supercharger, or some other such thing, I'm just pointing out that the car is nothing like as reliable as it should be, and something going wrong with the car wouldn't be exactly unheard of.
Old 09-03-2005
Junior West Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie25
I've heard through word of mouth that the MINI engines are rebadged dodge neon engines.
I don't know if they're actually Neon engines, but they are definitely Brazilian built Chrysler engines. The next Mini will use a turbocharged 4 that BMW is codeveloping with Peugeot.
Old 09-04-2005

I do not want anyone to get the mistaken impression that I think Coopers are perfect cars. They have their limitations. For example, as reported in the current Autoweek, a Cooper is a poor choice for a safari vehicle. Potential buyers should certainly bear this in mind.

Name:	MiniSafari.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	766  
Old 09-08-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

I just got a BMW for $78!

Ok, in Montreal the subway is called Metro and I bought a monthly transit pass and now travel via:

Bus
Metro
Walking

With my humble income level and repeated layoffs, that's the best I can do.
Old 09-08-2005
Grand Master

First paying total respect to all those suffering devasting loss from Katrina, as a car lover there are surely scores of real BMW's and other great cars under those polluted flood waters now worth less than $78.

As usually happens after massive flooding events, there will probably soon be severely compromised water damaged cars turning up on unscrupulous used car lots around the country.

On the other hand, if you know how to reclaim and restore a car that has been under water, there me be some great deals to be had. (I'm thinking of classic cars that would be otherwise lost or given up on. Not basic transportation.)
Old 09-08-2005
Mdwst Series Condom Model
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

i think Lippert was saying at MO that he would buy an Audi TT for his daily driver....
Old 09-08-2005

i wouldnt touch those cars that were/are under water in NO. doctors are warning not to touch the water and these cars have been sitting in this water for days.
Old 09-08-2005
Grand Master

There will be a few who will powerwash the bejesus out of some cars that show the least damage, dry them out, change out the fluids, throw in new plugs, battery and seats. Get them to run by hook or by crook and then pawn them off as lucky bargains to naive customers both young and old. The cars will turn to crap very quickly and the seller will be long gone. Happens every time there's a flood.

My only hope is that most of the modern day computer chips and electonics will be ruined and make starting these cars impossible without costly replacements that out strip the value of even trying it.

But if you can't get the car started you can easily strip it for parts. So bet the used parts market will also be a caveat emptor zone inundated with compromised pieces from flood damaged cars.

Not sure why I'm in such a bright positive mood about mankind today. Scuse' me.. while I go kick the dog.

OK I've hijacked this thread long enough... Back to $32k daily drivers please.
Old 09-08-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Not sure why I'm in such a bright positive mood about mankind today. Scuse' me.. while I go kick the dog.
Hmmm... must be lunar or something. Alas, I have no similar excuse for my melancholy.

But if I had around $32K to spend, and the darn thing could fit three kids, I'd get myself a Toyota Prius... I nearly traded in my Matrix in January for a Prius, but I got one of those used car salesmen giving me the "book" value for my car that made me just say "awe screw it." And then a couple of weeks later we discovered we needed something to fit a extra kid
Old 09-08-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpearson
I'd get myself a Toyota Prius...
A PRIUS?!! Do you realize that's a curse word in this town?
Old 09-08-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

Quote:
A PRIUS?!! Do you realize that's a curse word in this town?
How so?

I was thinking green... my Matrix is rated green too, but not that green And Smart isn't about to start selling something that will fit five

Bookmark This Thread