Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 04-15-2008
somewhere out there
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re-licensing

Hello campers!

I have not driven a race car since Skippy World 2002(c). Hell I've not driven a road car since 2004.

Anyways, after my successful breakout from Road America I spent a little while pounding the pavement (and much sand) hunting sponsors for Senor Newman and Senor Haas. In 04 I wandered off to Yurop and have watched my accent and tan fade.

I'm getting close to throwing enough money together to do some low level racing in the EU, and I'm wondering where I stand on licensing.

Last time around I was a certified "He's crazy, but not dangerous" SCCA National holder, can I just go back to that and then use that to convert over to the equivalent license of whatever country I'm racing in? The pickle I have is I no longer have a mailing address in the region I last applied, but I could beg one of my sisters to take some mail for me and register somewhere else. I guess they may want me to take a refresher course or some limited test to show I'm not old and cranky, but winging my way across the ocean to rub my head and pat my tummy isn't within my grasp.

Over to you my fine friends, what's the highest license I could grab at this point, and what's the most realistic?

Ross Stonefeld
Old 04-17-2008
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
Re: Re-licensing

Go to the SCCA web site and find your regional coordinator or national office for licensing and inquire direct.
Old 04-17-2008
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10
Re: Re-licensing

Hi Ross,

I would go to the "low level" sanctioning body of the series you'd like to particpate in, and see what they need first. Tell them you had an SCCA National license in whatever year, and ask if that would be good enough to get you a license with them, or if it needs to be a current National license. (I might not suggest that necessity to them, but be ready for it.)

To keep a National license, you are supposed to complete one of the following within the preceding 12 months:
- At least three SCCA National, Professional or FIA events,
- Two SCCA National, Professional or FIA events, and one Regional events,
- Four SCCA Regional events

If you don't live up to that, you can try to get a waiver from the Divisional Licensing Admin person if your new sanctioning body does need it to be current. But for sure, go to the new sanctioning body first to find out what they need.

Pete

Bookmark This Thread