Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 02-27-2008
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815
Michael Shank Racing in the news

The Grand-Am Rolex Series has been at Homestead the last two days testing. News reports are available at http://www.grand-am.com.

What I really wanted to point out was this excerpt from Grand-Am Communications telling the good word about our friends John Pew, Mark Patterson, Ozwaldo Negri, Ian James, and their awesome team, Michael Shank Racing.

Quote from today's press release
Michael Shank Racing Laying the Framework For a Championship?

The hottest team in the Rolex Series this winter may just be the two-car effort of Michael Shank Racing. To this point in 2008, the orange No. 60 Ford Riley and the blue No. 6 Ford Riley have posted the fastest times in January Test Days and swept the front row with both cars at the Rolex 24. Negri, the Rolex 24 at Daytona polesitter, was fastest again Tuesday.

The No. 6 machine led 119 laps of the Rolex 24 until mechanical troubles with just hours left in the race forced the car out of the lead and into a 14th place overall finish. Negri led 15 laps to help the car finish sixth overall.

After Negri posted the quickest time on both test days, there’s no longer an argument about if the team can break through this season, but when.

“Our philosophy is that there are so many top notch teams here in the Rolex Series that you cannot blink,” Negri said. “That’s what I told my engineer, ‘if we keep doing the ordinary, we’re going to be ordinary. Let’s do whatever it takes to go get ahead of those guys.’ Last year, I would say, we were not up to speed with those guys. I do feel that the Pirelli Tires are helping me a lot.”

A season ago, the No. 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing Pontiac Riley spent the winter running quick times in tests and captured the pole at the Rolex 24. After a poor finish at the endurance race, the team rattled off a Rolex Series-record seven victories on the way to the team and driver championship with Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty.

One difference between the two programs at the time was that the GAINSCO team was still searching for their first Daytona Prototype win. Michael Shank Racing has already been to victory lane, at the 2006 season finale at Miller Motorsports Park.

“For sure, there are some parallels,” Negri said. “But we are not waiting on them; we’re going to try and run away from them. We’re thinking the lions are running after us, and that’s the deal. I’m not sitting still. We can’t underestimate anyone here and we’ll just keep working hard with all of the Michael Shank Racing team.”

Are the makings in place for another team to “come from nowhere” in 2008?

End quote. Visit the Grand-Am website for more.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 02-27-2008
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Re: Michael Shank Racing in the news

Ozz is simply an amazing driver..I went out karting in the rain the other night with him and Gil de Ferrin.. We were out for three hours straight in heavy rain and at night..Fortunately it is warm down here..It was fantastic..I thought I had the rain line all figured out, until I got behind those two..dodging puddles,,zig zagging all over to avoid the deep water and sometimes not..we were soaked..After three hours, I wasn't even tired..What fun. Shifter karts in the rain!

Anyway, Ozz is going for it..I've never seen him so focused..P1 in all our practices at Homestead. The guy is extremely talented and with a work ethic that reminds me of Gerardo.

The #6 car will be nipping at his heels, though..

Also, it was great to see Barry Waddell at Homestead..Another great guy!!
Old 02-27-2008
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Sounds like gobs of fun John. My best to you, Mark and your teammates this year. It would wonderful for all of you to be at the top of the stats this season!

Last edited by LimeRockRacer; 02-27-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-27-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

3 hours in a shifter kart at night in the rain... Now THAT's serious fun. You guys will now be praying for rain each week and Mark will be jealous he missed it. Such a great report. Thanks John
Old 02-28-2008
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

An excellent effort by the entire MS organization. Like the Speed announcer called them last year,
"the little team that could". Really like the new Riley bodywork. Keep it going. See more on JPR site

Long rainy night of karting? Sounds like the 24 was good prep for that John
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	3429_13.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	2588   Click image for larger version

Name:	3430_31a.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	2589  

Bookmark This Thread