Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 10-09-2006

New Northeast racetracks

You guys in the Northeast are lucky!
If I lived there I'd join Thunderbolt Raceway in Millville,NJ (south NJ). It's being developed by the same ownership group as VIR, scheduled to open in Spring 2007.
www.njmotorsportspark.com

And I've heard there is another one opening in Monticello, NY, but I don't know anything about that one.
Old 10-09-2006
OTB
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 19
Re: New Northeast racetracks

Thunderbolt is (will be) about a 45 minute drive from my house. It looks like a winner, with all the necessary perks - a 4 mile long layout, shade-tree garages, a kart track, etc. Unfortunately, the "Spring '07 opening" is a pipe dream - they haven't broken ground yet, and are apparently waiting for more investors with big $$$ to pony up. You can register through their website for a membership; I'd hold the money until I see a bulldozer on site.
www.njmotorsportspark.com
Old 10-09-2006
Punisher
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Do they make nomex that protects against toxic waste?
Old 10-10-2006
Fund Raiser Racer

Q the one in monticello is owned by a lawyer enough said

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 10-10-2006
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

I met one of the partners of Monticello by chance in Connecticut and he showed me the blueprint for the proposed track layout. The first thing I said was, "boy that looks like it was designed by the guy would did VIR." Bingo.

They want to use it for a fantasy car club track. Understand they talked to Skippy....
Old 10-10-2006
"low eyes and slow hands"
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

I went to a presentation for the Monticello track as well. Get this, very few corner workers. Going to monitor it by TV cameras set up all over the track and use a stoplight system to display yellow flag situations...
Old 10-16-2006
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Wow this is awesome news since I'm in DE and really want to get into some racing at the end of this school year. Seems it will be less than an hour away from me!

Thanks for the heads up,
Mike
Old 10-17-2006
GrandMasterB

Gallery Images: 57

Chris:
Do the cameras help in the event of fires? It sounds like some guy in a room full of monitors will be all the corner workers in one. I hope he's better than the guys in my building who is supposed to be watching the cameras!

OLDMAN
Old 01-26-2007
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Hi Guys,

The Monticello track will have a full time staff of corner workers. There will also be a caution lighting system. Safety is priority one. Lots of run-off, soft barriers, etc. Track access 6 days a week including weekends 90 miles from NYC!

Unique to the club will be the opportunity to rent racecars. The website www.driveandrace.com has been updated and there are construction photos under the heading of "The Road Course" then Course Construction. You can now drive over 3 miles of the circuit in a truck. I am providing tours weekly. My contact information is on the website if you would like to discuss.

David O'Hara
The Drive & Race Club
Old 01-27-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

To see another NJ road course project in progress, check out racewaypark.com/main/roadcourse/index.htm

This one is smaller in scope, and less upscale than many of the country club projects cropping up everywhere you look. But it also seems to have advanced beyond the planning stage, which is more than can be said for Thunderbolt at this point. I'm also guessing it will be much less exclusive, and thus more open to those of us who don't want to shell out big bucks for a country club membership.

Figures that they'd be building this facility less than 1/2 hour from where I used to live in NJ.

Bookmark This Thread