Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 02-15-2008
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Arai GP-5 Aero Kit?

Hey Guys,
I recently bought of one Arai's PED kits and was wondering if anyone ever installs the front piece? All the looking around I've done, I've only seen the rear piece installed, even on F1 helmets. Also, anyone's experience with the kit versus without would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

-KS
Old 02-16-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Arai GP-5 Aero Kit?

I've been running a GP-5 for 4 years without an aero kit and the only time I ever had a buffeting issue in a Skippy car was in my first race weekend driving one of the long cars. In that long frame/pedal configuration I had to put the seat forward several notches and that put my helmet up in the airflow.

At my second race weekend Jim Pace had me sit in three different frame/pedal configurations to find the one that felt right. I chose a shorter frame that put me farther back in the car and haven't had an issue since.

When I was wondering if I should get an aero kit someone said they were designed for much higher speeds than we attain in a Skippy car. Don't know if that's true but buffeting hasn't come up as a topic of discussion much over the years so that could be correct. Haven't been paying al lot of attention to it but I don't think a lot of Skippy drivers have aero kits on their helmets.
Old 02-18-2008
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
When I was wondering if I should get an aero kit someone said they were designed for much higher speeds than we attain in a Skippy car. Don't know if that's true but buffeting hasn't come up as a topic of discussion much over the years so that could be correct. Haven't been paying al lot of attention to it but I don't think a lot of Skippy drivers have aero kits on their helmets.
I think you're right about that, Pat. Bell has 2 levels of aerodynamic countermeasures available, the lower level subtle boundary layer stuff as on my Vortex, and the higher level visible wicker bills and vortex generators designed for 150+ mph. The lower level is completely adequate for Skippy purposes even at Daytona where the unmodified Skippy loaner helmets had considerable buffet and lift. Of course, since then, the aerodynamics of my helmet have been further refined by the 3M electrical tape job constructed under license from DalyDuoConcepts, Inc. A closely guarded secret has been that extensive wind-tunnel testing was required to precisely determine the exact pattern of interesecting tape layers necessary to generate the perfect distribution of microvortices in the boundary layer that would maintain complete stability of my head to within 0.03 mm in every direction. And, as with all great works of engineering, the form followed the function.
Old 02-18-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Don't forget that non-disclosure agreement you signed Harsha... The lawyers are watching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Of course, since then, the aerodynamics of my helmet have been further refined by the 3M electrical tape job constructed under license from DalyDuoConcepts, Inc. A closely guarded secret has been that extensive wind-tunnel testing was required to precisely determine the exact pattern of interesecting tape layers necessary to generate the perfect distribution of microvortices in the boundary layer that would maintain complete stability of my head to within 0.03 mm in every direction. And, as with all great works of engineering, the form followed the function.
Old 02-18-2008
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Don't forget that non-disclosure agreement you signed Harsha... The lawyers are watching.
Sorry, Pat... I know, I know. At least I didn't disclose the mathematics. I just couldn't resist bragging on it. My head feels so, er, stable now.

Bookmark This Thread