Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 04-25-2009
Skippy Instructor
Rookie / Advanced Member (<10 Posts)

Skip Barber Superbike School First Impressions

Hi all! I don't get on here very often, don't know why, but I just finished working the first ever Skip Barber Superbike School and figured that Y'all would want a short report.

Jeff Rodrigues and myself were recruited by Jeff Haney (Motorcycle side lead instructor) to be part of this program based on our combined knowledge of Skippy programs (we've got 24 years teaching at Skip between the two of us) and our motorcycle backgrounds. (we've both been dong schools for a long time and Jeff's even raced the Pikes Peak Hill Climb on his Motard bike)

Obviously we jumped at the opportunity to be part of something different and exciting within SBRS and the thought of getting paid to rip a KTM RC8 around Laguna was the cherry on top.

About a month ago "The Team" was brought together to Laguna for a day of training. The team consists of an incredibly diverse group of motorcycle teachers, racers, designers and several pure bad asses. There are young and old, male and female, all absolute experts and Jeff and I.

Following that training day, I was rather pleased with the staff and excited about the program. I had no idea!

Following hundreds of emails and phone calls, we all met again this Tuesday for two more days of training leading up to the first 2 day school which started on Thursday. When we arrived Tuesday, Haney had a well laid out plan for everybody's role and we spent two LONG days talking curriculum, time line, strategy etc.

Thursday morning it was time to rock. The school was comprised of 18 VIP's from various backgrounds. Sponsors, industry folk, friends, etc. These people knew what they were getting into and knew that this was to be a trial run for the real deal. There were a few speed bumps early on but things quickly took shape and we put on an excellent school.

The curriculum for this program is unlike anything I've ever been a part of. I've been teaching car racing schools for 10 years and have done a LOT of motorcycle schools as a student. This school is AWESOME. I think it's important to define that this program is a SCHOOL. This is not a fancy track day with a catered lunch and optional classroom for the new guys. This is full blown school that will blow away everyone from the novice rider to the advanced racer.

Haney's ideas and strategy behind the curriculum are basic but incredibly effective. I've learned more in the little time I've spent with these guys about riding a motorcycle than I had learned in the 7 years prior of doing other moto schools, track days and trying to teach myself.

We've got a few minor bugs to work out before the first "real" program, but that will happen. We learned a lot during this trial run and this school is only going to get better. I urge any of you that ride motorcycles to come out to Laguna and give this school a shot. You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it. Not only will it make you a better and safer street rider, you'll get the chance to rip some pretty cool motorcycles around Laguna Seca and by the end of the school, you'll be so tired from riding, you may have to be shuttled back to the hotel.

Feel free to contact me through email if you have any questions about the program. I hope to continue to be a part of it and if there is something I can't answer, I'll get you in touch with someone who can.

See you at the track,

Grant
grantryley@mac.com
Old 04-25-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Skip Barber Superbike School First Impressions

Outstanding report and exciting news.

Makes you want to go out and buy a cycle just to take the course.

Please keep us posted when the program goes live and encourage participants and instructors to share their experiences here...

If more join in it would be easy to add a forum for two wheel advocates who want to keep in touch.

Thanks Grant
Old 04-26-2009
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Makes you want to go out and buy a cycle just to take the course.
Thanks, Duo. This is one of the best parts. The SBRS folks upstairs, especially Charles Kim (sponsorship guy) have done a great job of acquiring sponsorship for this program. You show up, grab all the gear you may need (Leathers, helmet, gloves, boots) and hop on a ready to go, prepped KTM machine. It's the same philosophy as with the car schools. It's arrive and thrive.
Old 04-27-2009
tto-tgood
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Hey Grant,
Great report, it sounds like its shaping up to be a great school.
I've done the California Superbike School on two occassions, once at Watkins Glen years ago and the other at Barber Motorsports in Alabama in 2003.
I found it to be a superb school, however after doing a fair amount of Skippy race series stuff, I had one main complaint. The CSS doesn't teach the line the way the SBRS does at any given track. They lead you out single file for the first session on track with the instructor in front and students lined up behind 8 or 9 riders deep. Well, needless to say by the time the 4th rider arrives at a turn in or apex he or she could be way off line. After having very in depth van arounds with SBRS I thought that seemed strange.
Have you done any CSS schools and how would you compare?
Old 04-27-2009
Skippy Instructor

I've done several CSS schools. CSS was the first school I did and for a long time I thought it was the best. From there I did the Jason Pridmore school, and others, and found out there was different techniques taught in different schools.

I think CSS has some really good stuff. I liked the "no brakes" drill because it got me thinking way ahead. I liked the slide bike and lean bike although, I didn't feel like I spent enough time on either. I found the counter steering aspect interesting and used it for a long time after going to CSS, but since I have been involved with Jeff Haney I've learned that while there are many ways to skin the cat and all accomplish the same thing, some are rough and dirty and some are more elegant. IMO CSS is the rough and dirty method to skinning the cat.

The SBSBS (Skip Barber Superbike School) places a great emphasis on line. Not only finding the line but more importantly being accurate with it. MIss an apex, slow down and figure out why. There is an enormous amount of lead follow time both with a group of up to 4 students and one on one. I.E. During training, we spent almost a whole day talking about nothing but the correct line around Laguna Seca. There were arguments, discussions, on track stuff, etc. It's very important to this school.

I think what separates this school from the rest is the emphasis, not only on line and accuracy, but also the emphasis on body position. CSS teaches that there is only ONE way to turn a motorcycle, and while thats all well and good, its simply not true. Granted, broken down to the real basics, you do counter steer when you turn, but more importantly is where your body is when you turn, while you turn and after the corner. In a car, you are strapped in and can't move, hopefully. On a motorcycle, your body has as much influence over what happens and when as anything else.

The genius thing is that this line, body position and technique is all based on vehicle dynamics and it is easy to understand. Come and check it out. I'll bet you a hundred bucks that after the school you'll tell all your buddies about it and quitely snicker at the CSS program.

Grant

Bookmark This Thread