Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 01-04-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Nascar Mandates HANS Restraint System (Exclusively)

This is now posted in the old HANS discussion thread but I started this new thread to bring it to the attention of those who might not notice a new post in the old thread.

The New York Times "Sports Briefing" Auto Racing 1/4/05

Nascar Mandates HANS Restraint System:

Nascar will allow its competitors to use only the HANS device in 2005 because the other head-and-neck restraint system did not meet performance standards.

Drivers have had a choice of restraint systems since 2001, when Nascar began requiring competitors to use the HANS or the Hutchens devices after an investigation of Dale Earnhardt's death. The Nascar spokesman Mike Zizzo said yesterday that the Hutchens failed to meet minimum standards in testing by SFI Foundation Inc.

The HANS device was approved by SFI, a California-based nonprofit organization that sets standards for specialty/performance automotive and racing equipment.

The HANS (Head and Neck Support) resembles a collar and slides on like a fooball player's shoulder pads, then hooks onto the helmet.

The Hutchens device is a series of straps connecting across the chest and at the waist.

(AP) (I suppose the "AP" notation could double cover both the Associated Press and Accident Prone! :-)

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-04-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2005
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: Nascar Mandates HANS Restraint System (Exclusively)

Thank you very much, D^2.
Old 01-07-2005
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 482

As it happens, under the Christmas tree this year I found a HANS device -- a gift from my spouse, who reserves unto herself alone the right to break my neck, in appropriate circumstances.
Old 01-10-2005
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

In that case, she certainly has a lot of Moxie!

(Sorry... That one was tee'd up too nicely not to swing at... )

I see this is your first post... Welcome!

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-10-2005 at 12:34 PM.

Bookmark This Thread