Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 01-17-2011
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Videos Vintage Nurburgring Nordschleife Crashes

Really fun (and scary) to watch. Crazy how dangerous cars were back then. Circa 1970.

Old 01-17-2011
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Vintage Nurburgring Nordschleife Crashes

Wow... high center of gravity, steep curbing and low car control awareness... what could possibly go wrong? We pretty much see all of it here. Impressed with how much crap flies out of the cars when they flip. Like they're living in the cars. The smartest driver was in the 914 near the end who drives it straight off and back on. No drama. Scariest one for me was the VW convertible. So close to disaster in every possible way. Thanks Sy
Old 01-17-2011
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6

All I can say is oooooopppppps!!
Old 01-17-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Did anyone even attempt to count how many VW bugs were rolled? Had to be the most popular mode of axial rotation. Fiats a close second?
Old 01-18-2011
Grand Master

And how many cars were that mustard color that was all the rage in the 70's? Seemed like half the cars on the planet in that decade were that color.
Old 01-18-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Back in 1964 while I was installing seat belts in my VW, my Mom said that only people who planned on driving crazy needed seatbelts.
This was 1970. Anybody take notice of all the people fliying out the doors and windows??????
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 01-18-2011
Grand Master

I lost count but there were plenty and this film only shows people relatively uninjured. If memory serves seat belts became a requirement in US new cars in the mid 60's though usage requirements didn't come along until much later. Astonishing to see so many people just pop out of the vehicles even at low speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Back in 1964 while I was installing seat belts in my VW, my Mom said that only people who planned on driving crazy needed seatbelts.
This was 1970. Anybody take notice of all the people fliying out the doors and windows??????
Old 01-18-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
I lost count but there were plenty and this film only shows people relatively uninjured. ...
Wellllll. There was one in there where the term 'well done' should replace 'relatively uninjured'.

I also remember that the Michelin Xs I put on the bug had this alarming tendency to grip like crazy up to a point...and then let go quietly and completely. That actually saved my butt one day on Rt. 80 heading toward the GW Bridge when I came upon a guy travelling north/south. (Rt. 80 goes east/west.)
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 01-18-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Clip could be called "The Swing-Axle 500" Most of the rollers seemed to share that design. And how about the guy at the 2:30 mark in the VW Beetle carrying three passengers? How lucky were they?

This reminds me of the doctor who was one my fellow 3-day school participants at VIR in 2003. A month or two later he did $30,000 in damage to his 911 at a track day.

Bookmark This Thread