Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 11-10-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
Airlines and Lap Timers

Last summer, due to some events in Britain, certain items such as toothpaste became verboten for bringing onboard airplanes. The restrictions were eventually relaxed, but I can imagine some TSA employee getting uptight about a lap timer in a carry-on bag. Likewise, I can imagine a baggage inspector wondering about a timer in packed luggage.

Has anyone traveled with a lap timer since Labor Day? Did you put it in your carry-on bag? Pack it with your other racing gear? Ever have any questions from inspectors?
Old 11-10-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Airlines and Lap Timers

There are no issues...

I've gone around the country via air in the past 2 months, dragging my "helmet bag" with me with me, including my Mychron, beacon, scanner, etc etc. i do not check it, though I'm rethinking it since my helmet won't fit in most overhead bins...

The electronics are ok - they show up on xray and are fine (much like a cell phone in your bag...).

Interestingly, the thing that get's flagged are 1) my helmet, since the padding has a composition on Xray remarkably similar to C-4, and with the "timer", the guys at JFK and IAD were curious and 2) my gloves and shoes at ORD triggered the explosives warning when my bag got swiped due to the oil/gas that was smeared on them.

Ted, I cannot imagine that YOU of all people will get confused as a terrorist. Having said that, I've submitted Sid Brenner's name to the Dept of Homeland Security as a candidate for the "no talk" list.
Old 11-10-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

I totally agree with Al. It's not an issue.

I put all my electronics in one rolling carry on bag (lap timer, timer block battery, digital still camera, digital video camera, cigarette lighter adapter and wires for Treo GPS system and radar detector, cell phone charger... etc. etc.) full well expecting alarms to go off and guns to be drawn. That has never happened. The block battery and wires usually raises their curiousity enough to poke around to see that the stuff is harmless. I always leave extra time assuming they're going to take a look but they now seem much more concerned with you having more than 3 ounces of shampoo in your carry-on than batteries, wires and mysterious aluminum boxes.

Always pack my driving gear, (full seat insert, helmet, suit, shoes etc) in a rolling duffel bag that I check through. The helmet sits in a lined protective bag nestled in the seat insert with shoes and cloths packed around it. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem.
Old 11-10-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDelattre
Ted, I cannot imagine that YOU of all people will get confused as a terrorist.
A few years ago, I was in Cambridge, MA, and picked up some curry powder at a local Indian grocery store before heading home. The powder was in my carry-on and apparently set off the sniff machine at Logan. I got a pat-down from the security officer. And this was pre-9/11.
Old 11-10-2006
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

too bad Atta didn't buy some of that for his final flight
Old 11-10-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie
A few years ago, I was in Cambridge, MA, and picked up some curry powder at a local Indian grocery store before heading home. The powder was in my carry-on and apparently set off the sniff machine at Logan. I got a pat-down from the security officer. And this was pre-9/11.
Ted, you're a nice guy - but I have a feeling the "pat down" had nothing to do with the curry powder....

Did they also ask you if you had ever been in a Turkish bath?

Bookmark This Thread