Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 08-19-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
The Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series hits Indy on Sept. 3 for a test

The test is almost certain to lead to a race on the IMS' road course. Indianapolis wouldn't be allowing the Grand-Am cars to test unless it thought a race were likely. It's tantamount to the circumstances leading to the creation of the Brickyard 400. NASCAR's Sprint Cup cars tested at the Speedway in 1992 and the Brickyard followed two years later. It's also not coincidental that Grand-Am is owned by the France family's NASCAR Holdings, which have put their full support behind the series.
Two scenarios are the best possibilities for the Grand-Am at Indianapolis: A companion event to the Brickyard 400, running on Saturday, or a stand-alone weekend, likely in the early fall.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/tim_tuttle/08/18/Inside_racing/index.html?eref=T1#ixzz0OelEZONr

Well, they have not called to ask ME, but I'd vote to run the Grand-Am cars and the motorcycles on consecutive weekends without the Brickyard 400 tie-in. Fill the days in between with support series races. Make the G-A an internationally compelling event - say 12 hours or 24 hours. We don't need no stinkin' lights and even the Moto GP boys ran - and I sat there and watched - in God's-own-downpour and 50mph cross winds last year. Make it Daytona in September.

Last edited by Rosso; 08-19-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2009
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: The Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series hits Indy on Sept. 3 for a test

I heard that it will be run as a companion race with the brickyard. I thought in 2011, but know I hear it maybe next year. I would love to see a 12 or 24 race, but it looks like a 2:45 deal. Anyway it works, I'll be there in the cockpit !!
Ron

Tags
france family , grand-am , indy

Bookmark This Thread