Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 05-02-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Rain gear

Looks like the potential for showers at VIR. I have not had a wet racing weekend yet so have some questions about how to survive a few days like you all had at LRP last season.

I bought an oversized waterproof golf rain suit to wear over my racing suit. I have an extra pair of gloves and shoes. I have a clear fog free visor for my helmet.

Any other rain essentials you recommend I throw into the bag?
Old 05-02-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: Rain gear

NO BOOTIES!
Old 05-02-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Kasey, last fall I wandered up to Lime Rock to watch the practice day. One thing I would not have thought of is that you will keep your race suit in much better shape for the races if you use the Skippy suit for your lapping or practice days. MJAmok even has a spare suit, and I got the idea from him. I also learned about the detrimental effects of booties on threshold braking. Well ... for that matter ... on all braking.
Old 05-02-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey
I have a clear fog free visor for my helmet.
Get a small bottle of Rain-X for the outside of your visor, it will help bead the water off faster.
Old 05-02-2006
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

I agree with WNewby. Save your good driving suit and wear a Skippy suit with your golf wetsuit over it for lapping and practice. Because they are thinner lighter material than most high end Nomex suits they don't absorb as much water and are more comfortable even when wet.

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-07-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-03-2006
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Good ideas from the others, so I'll add...

Use your oldest gloves for the rain, as they will never be quite the same after a good soaking.

Use the rain jacket only if its steady or heavy rain. For a misty light rain its not worth it (you'll sweat in it moisturizing your suit anyway).

Accept the fact that no special visor is full proof. Plan emotionally now to see little if it pours, especially in traffic. Actually, HYPE on it. Think of how cool you'll feel by driving so fast with 10% of the visual information you're used to seeing.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 05-03-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

A lot of guys use Rainex. I find it can smear your visor if not done right, or if you try to wipe the visor with your glove with it on. I stopped using it and don't miss it.

Try the old motorcycle trick... turn your head sideways a bit, and the wind will clear your visor.

Also... DO NOT use tearoffs in the rain. I left one on by accident once... forgot it was there... the water got under it and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't clear the shield, even with my glove! D'oh!!
Old 05-07-2006
WB RCD Retired at 22
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

best thing no one will tell you is don't forget to bring paper towels to wipe off the footsies! really! you think booties are hard to break with try wet anything on smooth metal skippy pedals. or wear booties but TAKE THEM OFF ONCE YOU ARE IN THE CAR!
Old 05-09-2006
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Post Re: Rain gear

When driving in rain (like Sunday in VIR), do you guys reccomend a clear anti fog visor or an amber anti fog visor for a GP5 helmet?

Thanks,

Angelos

Old 05-09-2006
Grand Master

Angelos,

Good driving this weekend. You're improving steadily. How was it driving with your new seat insert? And driving in the rain?

I was using the clear visor with anti-fog and couldn't see anything just as those with the amber anti-fog visors couldn't see anything. It was tough out there. I don't remember seeing any amber visors but I wasn't really looking for them.

You couldn't see much of anything in those conditions if you weren't by yourself.
Old 05-09-2006
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Thanks Pat,

I ordered a clear anti fog visor for those rainy days but I was just wondering if there was any difference with the amber visor for such conditions. I will follow your advice and stick with the clear visor.

The seat insert was great, I improved even more with it and I think it is the most important thing you need.

It was quite an experience to drive for the first time in the rain. I think I did ok but I should have focused more on avoiding better those apexes especially the one in turn 4.

Congrats on both of your podiums.
Old 05-09-2006
Grand Master

If Julia Landauer makes it to bigger and better things I'll have a couple of nifty keepsakes from her first two wins! Fun racing with so many fresh faces in Eastern Sportsman. Hope they keep showing up.

Yes, always good to ask instructors about the rain line at each track you visit because you never know when you'll need it.

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-09-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2006
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Videos Re: Rain gear

what ever you are doing Angelos, keep it up, you're doing great!

Here's an example - video, 23 sec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelos49
Thanks Pat,

I ordered a clear anti fog visor for those rainy days but I was just wondering if there was any difference with the amber visor for such conditions. I will follow your advice and stick with the clear visor.

The seat insert was great, I improved even more with it and I think it is the most important thing you need.

It was quite an experience to drive for the first time in the rain. I think I did ok but I should have focused more on avoiding better those apexes especially the one in turn 4.

Congrats on both of your podiums.

Bookmark This Thread