Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 12
I'm Here!

I've been a racing fan as long as I can remember. When I was young I was a huge fan of open wheel racing. Later on I gravitated towards stock car racing. The past year or two I have started keeping up with Indycar and F1 again. I don't know why I ever abandoned it. I went to my first Indycar race this year at Barber and had a blast. The Grand Am and Continental Tire Series also raced that weekend. That was something completely new to me and I'm now a fan of any type road racing I can get my eyes on.

When I was little, I would always see ads for Skippy in magazines and would wish like hell that someday I could go drive. Well, to be honest, I forgot all about until this year. I opted for the Intro to Racing class at Road Atlanta on August 16. It was far and away the most fun I've ever had in my life. My only track time up to that day was a horribly disappointing 20 lap drive in a NASCAR Busch Series car at Memphis Motorsports Park. I sucked so hard. I was black flagged 3 times for going too slow. To say it was a completely mortifying experience would be an understatement.

After that confession, now we'll go back to my intro class. I arrived over an hour early because I was so jacked up. After suit and helmet fittings, we went to the classroom for about 45 minutes before heading to the track. After a short crash course on the gearboxes and basics of the car, we jumped in...and I almost got right back out. The claustrophobia was near overwhelming. I gave myself one hell of a pep talk in the car while sitting on the grid. One thing that helped a lot was leaving my helmet off until they gave us the command to fire the engines. I'm 6'1" 225 and it was HOT that morning.

All of the claustrophobic. Feelings went away as I rolled onto the track. At this point my frown turned upside down and I never stopped smiling until we parked the cars at the end of the second session. Beforehand the instructors (Glen, Grayson, and two other's that I can't remember their names) had told us about moving over on the back straight, letting the other cars pass, and falling in behind them each lap. The first session was so much fun. Time flew by and before I knew it, we were in the pits. One instructor mentioned that if he finds a student setting a good pace behind the instructor car, that he may not switch the guys every lap. I was in his group and during the second session, I was the lead car for three laps. I was ecstatic. I had a great time doing something that I've always wanted to try and the instructors were awesome. I felt I did well for an introductory class and can't wait to do a 3 day and get the formula car close to it's limits.

Once we were back in the classroom, we received the sales pitch for 20% off future Skippy courses. It was a no Brainer for me to throw down $400 deposit ($200 for me and $200 to insure a buddy that may want to go will get the discount too). A friend and I are looking at the different tracks for our 3 day next year. Road Atlanta is a gorgeous facility and I loved every second of driving on her. We may try our 3 day there since it is $400 cheaper than the other tracks. Why is that anyway? After the 3 day I'll have some idea of if I may be any good at this at all. As of right now, I can see myself dropping a lot of cash on Skippy programs, and that's okay because I'll love every second of it.

I found this forum purely by accident and have lurked for a month or so before registering. Thanks for having me!

Mikey

Last edited by emd645e6; 09-03-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
Re: I'm Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd645e6 View Post
I've been a racing fan as long as I can remember. When I was young I was a huge fan of open wheel racing. Later on I gravitated towards stock car racing. The past year or two I have started keeping up with Indycar and F1 again. I don't know why I ever abandoned it. I went to my first Indycar race this year at Barber and had a blast. The Grand Am and Continental Tire Series also raced that weekend. That was something completely new to me and I'm now a fan of any type road racing I can get my eyes on.

When I was little, I would always see ads for Skippy in magazines and would wish like he'll that someday I could go drive. Well, to be honest, I forgot all about until this year. I opted for the Intro to Racing class at Road Atlanta on August 16. It was far and away the most fun I've ever had in my life. My only track time up to that day was a horribly disappointing 20 lap drive in a NASCAR Busch Series car at Memphis Motorsports Park. I sucked so hard. I was black flagged 3 times for going too slow. To say it was a completely mortifying experience would be an understatement.

After that confession, now we'll go back to my intro class. I arrived over an hour early because I was so jacked up. After suit and helmet fittings, we went to the classroom for about 45 minutes before heading to the track. After a short crash course on the gearboxes and basics of the car, we jumped in...and I almost got right back out. The claustrophobia was near overwhelming. I gave myself one hell of a pep talk in the car while sitting on the grid. One thing that helped was that helped a lot was leaving my helmet off until they gave us the command to fire the engines. I'm 6'1" 225 and it was HOT that morning.

All of the claustrophobic. Feelings went away as I rolled onto the track. At this point my frown turned upside down and I never stopped smiling until we parked the cars at the end of the second session. Beforehand the instructors (Glen, Grayson, and two other's that I can't remember their names) had told us about moving over on the back straight, letting the other cars pass, and falling in behind them each lap. The first session was so much fun. Time flew by and before I knew it, we were in the pits. One instructor mentioned that if he finds a student setting a good pace behind the instructor car, that he may not switch the guys every lap. I was in his group and during the second session, I was the lead car for three laps. I was ecstatic. I had a great time doing something that I've always wanted to try and the instructors were awesome. I felt I did well for an introductory class and can't wait to do a 3 day and get the formula car close to it's limits.

Once we were back in the classroom, we received the sales pitch for 20% off future Skippy courses. It was a no Brainer for me to throw down $400 deposit ($200 for me and $200 to insure a buddy that may want to go will get the discount too). A friend and I are looking at the different tracks for our 3 day next year. Road Atlanta is a gorgeous facility and I loved every second of driving on her. We may try our 3 day there since it is $400 cheaper than the other tracks. Why is that anyway? After the 3 day I'll have some idea of if I may be any good at this at all. As of right now, I can see myself dropping a lot of cash on Skippy programs, and that's okay because I'll love every second of it.

I found this forum purely by accident and have lurked for a month or so before registering. Thanks for having me!

Mikey
Exhale, inhale, repeat. OK, now that you are breathing again, welcome to the club. By all means, do the 3 day race school. It is the launcing pad for any activities you may wish to pursue afterwards and there is certainly much to look forward to beyond it. Road Atlanta is no doubt cheaper because it is the home base for the mechanics and cars, so there are greatly reduced expenses when Skippy runs a school there. And PLEASE, dear god, do not ever use the term "crash course" again. It's just bad karma.
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
Exhale, inhale, repeat. OK, now that you are breathing again, welcome to the club. By all means, do the 3 day race school. It is the launcing pad for any activities you may wish to pursue afterwards and there is certainly much to look forward to beyond it. Road Atlanta is no doubt cheaper because it is the home base for the mechanics and cars, so there are greatly reduced expenses when Skippy runs a school there. And PLEASE, dear god, do not ever use the term "crash course" again. It's just bad karma.
Lmao. Gotcha. No using the word crash unless it's about an actual crash.
Old 09-04-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Welcome aboard Mikey. Rosso is on the money. We've all been there.

Keep your eyes up and keep breathing to greatly reduce use of the "crash" word down the road.

Carl Lopez's book "Going Faster!" is the bible and "Ultimate Speed Secrets" by Ross Bentley another great source of preparation for your three day and racing in general.
Old 09-04-2012

Does anyone know where I can get Going Faster in. PDF format?
Old 09-04-2012
Grand Master

If this link doesn't work just go to Amazon and type in the book titles...

opps... just realized you asked for pdf format... not sure what to tell you there. Sorry

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get Going Faster in. PDF format?
Old 09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
If this link doesn't work just go to Amazon and type in the book titles...

opps... just realized you asked for pdf format... not sure what to tell you there. Sorry
Thanks Duo. I'm away from civilization right now at work. I'll order a copy when I go home in October.
Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Thanks Duo. I'm away from civilization right now at work. I'll order a copy when I go home in October.
Oil rig?

(Just read "Fire on the Horizon"...)
Old 09-05-2012
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 5

Congrats Mikey!
I did my 1 day racing school at Road Atlanta last year, and found something I had been searching for all my life; I just couldn't put a finger on it exactly until I drove a Formula car. I have been clawing at the Three-day school all year, and despite the efforts of a kindred spirit helping to realize it, it seems I have to go back under the knife for another round of melanoma removal, so bye bye school money. Hopefully I can make it next year. The people on this forum are special. No one understands the yearning to be on-track more than these people, and I have never seen a group more supportive to the newcomers, regardless of experience, talent, or pocketbook. I don't post often, but I check in on this forum a few times a week, even though I have been on track one time (not by my choice of course), ever. There is so much experience to draw from here, and everyone is so helpful.
As far as the books go, I second Pat's (DaillyDuo) recommendations on reading material. I have all of them, I find the Going Faster book to be the best of them, especially because it is the most relevant to the school. Ross Bentley's books are really good, but there were some things that Going Faster hits on that Bentley does not explain so clearly. I carry it with me everywhere.

Welcome!
Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr427 View Post
Oil rig?

(Just read "Fire on the Horizon"...)
I'm an engineer on a towboat. We run the Mississippi from New Orleans to St. Louis. I'm gone 30 days and then off for 30 days.
Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Perfection View Post
Congrats Mikey!
I did my 1 day racing school at Road Atlanta last year, and found something I had been searching for all my life; I just couldn't put a finger on it exactly until I drove a Formula car. I have been clawing at the Three-day school all year, and despite the efforts of a kindred spirit helping to realize it, it seems I have to go back under the knife for another round of melanoma removal, so bye bye school money. Hopefully I can make it next year. The people on this forum are special. No one understands the yearning to be on-track more than these people, and I have never seen a group more supportive to the newcomers, regardless of experience, talent, or pocketbook. I don't post often, but I check in on this forum a few times a week, even though I have been on track one time (not by my choice of course), ever. There is so much experience to draw from here, and everyone is so helpful.
As far as the books go, I second Pat's (DaillyDuo) recommendations on reading material. I have all of them, I find the Going Faster book to be the best of them, especially because it is the most relevant to the school. Ross Bentley's books are really good, but there were some things that Going Faster hits on that Bentley does not explain so clearly. I carry it with me everywhere.

Welcome!
Thanks for the welcome M3. I was able to find the Bentley book for my Nook and am about to tear into it soon. Hate to hear about your health problems and upcoming surgery. Road Atlanta was beautiful and I did not want to get out of that car when the class was over. Positive thoughts headed your way for a quick recovery.
Old 09-05-2012
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
I'm an engineer on a towboat. We run the Mississippi from New Orleans to St. Louis. I'm gone 30 days and then off for 30 days.
That sounds really interesting, I am a fan of tug/towboats.

Quote:
...The people on this forum are special. No one understands the yearning to be on-track more than these people, and I have never seen a group more supportive to the newcomers, regardless of experience, talent, or pocketbook. I don't post often, but I check in on this forum a few times a week, even though I have been on track one time (not by my choice of course), ever. There is so much experience to draw from here, and everyone is so helpful.
Welcome!
Thanks for those kind words, I'm sending your comments to the powers that be, if you don't mind. Best of luck with your health, beat that thing dammit

BTW, here is my favorite pic of author Carl 'Papa' Lopez
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carl-in-rain.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	4742  
Old 09-05-2012

As for books for drivers, I always refer in my head to Jackie Stewart's Principles of Performance Driving. I like Bentley's Inner Speed Secrets and finally a book by a non-driver: Drive to Win by Carroll Smith. Great book. Really good for aspiring drivers, but great insight from a guy who's dealt with a lot of drivers...
Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
That sounds really interesting, I am a fan of tug/towboats.
I'm don't have any pics of my vessel on my computer, but there are some on my Facebook Page, along with some pics of my engine room and some from the shipyard. There are a bunch of photos from Indycar at Barber and Texas this year too. Www.Facebook.com/emd645e6
We were repowered in 2010 with 3 new emd710g7c-t2 diesel engines. We're making 12'000 horsepower at 900 rpm.
Old 09-05-2012
administrationistperson

Quote:
I'm don't have any pics of my vessel on my computer, but there are some on my Facebook Page, along with some pics of my engine room and some from the shipyard. There are a bunch of photos from Indycar at Barber and Texas this year too. Www.Facebook.com/emd645e6
We were repowered in 2010 with 3 new emd710g7c-t2 diesel engines. We're making 12'000 horsepower at 900 rpm.
very cool, what's her name? Love those engine specs! Will check on the FB pics, thanks
Old 09-05-2012
administrationistperson

Just saw some of your pics M3...outstanding

Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
very cool, what's her name? Love those engine specs! Will check on the FB pics, thanks
M/V Dan MacMillan.
Old 09-05-2012

Thanks for the well-wishes! Hopefully just another speed bump in the road.

CDH, I love those pictures! every time I look at them at home my heart still races! and I don't mind SBRS using my comments, I meant every word I said

Mikey, like RSR, my favorite by Bentley is also Inner Speed Secrets; great way to learn to have your head in the right place on and off the track. My second favorite book overall. By the way, my uncle is a Tug Captain in New York; mostly barges I think. Know anyone up that way? He's two weeks on, two weeks off.
Old 09-05-2012

Quote:

CDH, I love those pictures! every time I look at them at home my heart still races! and I don't mind SBRS using my comments, I meant every word I said

Mikey, like RSR, my favorite by Bentley is also Inner Speed Secrets; great way to learn to have your head in the right place on and off the track. My second favorite book overall. By the way, my uncle is a Tug Captain in New York; mostly barges I think. Know anyone up that way? He's two weeks on, two weeks off.
I've never been that far north on a river. I've been as far as Pittsburgh a couple of times on the Ohio River and as far As Minneapolis on the Upper Mississippi. Loving all of these book suggestions.
Old 09-05-2012
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Congrats Mikey!
I did my 1 day racing school at Road Atlanta last year, and found something I had been searching for all my life; I just couldn't put a finger on it exactly until I drove a Formula car. I have been clawing at the Three-day school all year, and despite the efforts of a kindred spirit helping to realize it, it seems I have to go back under the knife for another round of melanoma removal, so bye bye school money. Hopefully I can make it next year.
Quote:
The road can have a lot of speed bumps. But when you discover something so much a part of your being, it somehow transforms them all. I remember you writing after your RAtl school about having found something you had been searching for all your life, and wanted to respond at the time but I was caught up in other things and missed the opportunity. What you described about searching-- not knowing what you were looking for but hoping it was out there-- resonated powerfully for me, because that was exactly what I felt the first time I strapped into a formula car as the final 20-minute session in an introductory Car Control class. I was green and horrendous and all it was was the little autocross track at Lime Rock, but within one tour of that little piece of asphalt exactly the same feeling surged throughout my entire being: "This is what I've been looking for my entire life." It felt righter than anything I had ever experienced. Which led to the 3 most challenging, eventful, meaningful, and rewarding years of my time on this planet, and some of the best friends I've ever had. Get well and get back on track as soon as you can. The feeling you describe is precious beyond most of what passes for living.
Old 09-05-2012

Slow, I was so relieved to find out I was not the only one who feels this way. When people would ask me about my experience, I would tell them, and the looks I got told me I must be crazy. No-one got it. My aunts and uncles are regional level motocross champions, my dad runs moto cross and has an unbelievable baja truck. None of them get it. How can you spend so much money persuing something so time consuming, expensive, and taxing without having a passion for it?

When I posted that story, so many people came out of the wood-work to comment; it really meant the world to me. It was such a revelation! I receved a series of private messages from one person (you know who you are) that had my wife and I in tears (she is so supportive, there is no better woman in the world; of course I am biased). He gave me some advice that helps me to keep my head up, and understand that there is still plenty of time to make this happen despite any setbacks.

Thank you again for the kind words, it really does help me cope.

My apologies to Mikey for jacking this thread. I promise I didn't mean to. I am so happy to hear that you are joining the ranks of this wonderful sport, and an incredible group of people. Best of Luck!
Old 09-05-2012
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
My apologies to Mikey for jacking this thread. I promise I didn't mean to. I am so happy to hear that you are joining the ranks of this wonderful sport, and an incredible group of people. Best of Luck!
Actually, the apology should probably be mine, it's a bad habit. But based on his initial post, I'd say Mikey is probably okay with it, all things considered.
Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Slow, I was so relieved to find out I was not the only one who feels this way. When people would ask me about my experience, I would tell them, and the looks I got told me I must be crazy. No-one got it. My aunts and uncles are regional level motocross champions, my dad runs moto cross and has an unbelievable baja truck. None of them get it. How can you spend so much money persuing something so time consuming, expensive, and taxing without having a passion for it?

When I posted that story, so many people came out of the wood-work to comment; it really meant the world to me. It was such a revelation! I receved a series of private messages from one person (you know who you are) that had my wife and I in tears (she is so supportive, there is no better woman in the world; of course I am biased). He gave me some advice that helps me to keep my head up, and understand that there is still plenty of time to make this happen despite any setbacks.

Thank you again for the kind words, it really does help me cope.

No worries buddy. I'm glad to hear your story and want updates on your progress while you're winning the battle with health issues.
Old 09-18-2012

Hey everyone, thanks for the well wishes! This time around was much less complicated, and everything came back on the biopsy as good. One more speed bump negotiated, time to go after that three-day next year!
Old 09-18-2012
Grand Master

Outstanding news Joe!
All smiles at this end. Thanks for the update and congrats on having more pleasurable things to worry about.
Pat

Quote:
Hey everyone, thanks for the well wishes! This time around was much less complicated, and everything came back on the biopsy as good. One more speed bump negotiated, time to go after that three-day next year!

Bookmark This Thread