Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 06-23-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Another Newbie

Finished my 3 day at LRP about 3 weeks ago. Convinced my wife to take our summer vacation at Mt. Tremblant so I could to my advanced 2-day! Not sure how I pulled that off. Anyways, just started lurking. (I am supposed to be at LPR right now running my GT3 at a DE, but a family emergency has me at home.) So give me all the details! I just spent an hour on the HANS Thread. I may pull the trigger there. How about suit recommendations? I may do my FIRST race weekend in OCT at LRP. Any tidbits I should know?

Thanks in advance! Excited to be a part of the group.

TIm
Old 06-23-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Re: Another Newbie

Welcome Roscoe!

Sorry to hear about the family emergency.

Don't think about the hans! Just act, order it tomorrow! There are a lot of choices for a suit. It all depends on what you want to spend and how comfortable you want to be. I have a sparco x light 300. i really like the suit. It is one of the lighter 3 layer suits available. Sparco, omp, puma, alpinestars all make good lightweight 3 layer suits(except puma who has a 2 layer suit). the puma suit is fia certified and is actually worn by several f1, champ car, irl and nascar drivers. i have never tried on any other suit than the x light so i can't comment on fitting and comfort. these same manufacturers also have more economical 3 layer suits that are warmer and heavier but less money. most of the lightweight 3 layer suits are around $1300 give or take a little.

i'm going to bed now. i hope some other people can help you out. btw, vacationing at tremblant is awesome. i was there last year and the resort is gorgeous, the town is gorgeous, and the track is gorgeous. plus, your wife can have a great time in the resort while you are racing. you will never have to leave the resort since they have pretty much everything you could need.
Old 06-23-2006
Junior West Coaster
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

In regard to a suit, I'm quite partial to the lightweight Puma. I have an X-Light as well and find the Puma much more comfortable, as well as lighter. Of course it's a two layer suit rather than a three layer like the Sparco, but I feel safe in it and since Champ Car feels I'm safe in it too, which is as good an endorsement as I could want.

My $.02
Old 06-23-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Hi Roscoe!

Also sorry an emergency brings you to us but glad you found us none the less. http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/ is a great source that many of us have used for HANS, driving suits, helmets, shoes, underwear etc. They are staffed by racers and give very personal customer service. They will hold your hand when you are starting out and are good at sizing over the phone. (Know which vendors size large or small from the norm) they are based in California but they do a good job.

Driving Impressions http://www.teamdi.com/ is also a good East Coast distributor. They have their own brand of driving equipment and Bob offers discounts to Skippy racers.

I'm also pretty much done for the day but I'll second Ari's closing that Tremblant is great and others will pipe up with their thoughts and suggestions as well.

Welcome aboard!
Old 06-24-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Welcome to TJR, Roscoe. My 3-Day was at LRP in July 2005, and when I was looking for info on buying equipment, I came across a thread started by Kasey that is entitled "How to select a helmet?". Go to the Equipment subthread and read all of the postings there. (The thread quickly expanded to cover not only a helmet purchase, but all other racing stuff too.) That was a great summary of what things you should consider.
Old 06-24-2006
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
In regard to a suit, I'm quite partial to the lightweight Puma. I have an X-Light as well and find the Puma much more comfortable, as well as lighter. Of course it's a two layer suit rather than a three layer like the Sparco, but I feel safe in it and since Champ Car feels I'm safe in it too, which is as good an endorsement as I could want.

My $.02
What websites sell Puma gear in the States?
Old 06-24-2006
Junior West Coaster

www.subesports.com
Old 06-24-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Hi Roscoe and welcome to TJR. There are a bunch of great people who use this site, and they all have an interest in auto racing. Their backgrounds, however, are fairly diverse. I noticed that Andrew listed Photogrammetrist as his occupation, and I am curious as to what that involves. In any event, welcome to the group.

You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?! That's ok. It's a long story and designed to make a few people laugh.

Welcome aboard...
Old 06-24-2006

Thanks for the all the feedback! Doing some homework on HANS and Suits now.
Old 06-24-2006

Gallery Images: 2

Please listen to me but don't be offended by comments!

If you can afford your GT3 and you can afford to do the race schools and you can afford to do the race weekend and you can afford to buy a suit, DO NOT DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON THE HANS! JUST BUY IT! It is more important to have a HANS device than it is to own your own racing suit. You can always just buy some nomex underwear and wear a skippy suit. In addition, the chance of the fuel in the car igniting is A LOT LESS than you hitting a barrier or another car and needing to have your head movement restrained. In the event of an accident where you do not need the HANS to save your life, you will still appreciate the HANS because it will decrease the discomfort that you would have if you weren't wearing it when you hit.
Old 06-24-2006

No offense taken. Your point is well made. I will be ordering one. Would you do the helmet work yourself or have the retailer do it?
Old 06-24-2006
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Well said, Ari.

Tim, welcome to the site, and please make sure you read the "An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices" thread on this site. You can find it and a few other good ones in the two equipment sub-forums.

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...splay.php?f=36

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...splay.php?f=39

You can install it easily yourself,or just send your helmet in and they will do it for you.
Old 06-24-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe
No offense taken. Your point is well made. I will be ordering one. Would you do the helmet work yourself or have the retailer do it?
I will put in a couple of plugs. The Arai helmets are already drilled for the HANS posts, and if you order from Speedware Motorsports, they will install the posts for you.
Old 06-25-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

MJ, A photogrammetrist makes measurements from photography.
We work primarily with aerial photography producing topographic maps for design engineers. We also work with terrestrial photography.
It's not as much fun as racing! Just thought I'd answer your question.
Old 06-25-2006

Andrew, can you stop by Road America sometime next week when the Skippy racers invade? Lapping days begin on Wednesday with the races occurring on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 06-26-2006

I plan on being at the track FRI, SAT and SUN.
I'll just be hanging around 'cause I didn't sign up for the week-end and won't race unless there's a no show.
Don't know who you are, so ask around for me; be glad to meet and talk to you.
Old 06-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I plan on being at the track FRI, SAT and SUN.
I'll just be hanging around 'cause I didn't sign up for the week-end and won't race unless there's a no show.
Don't know who you are, so ask around for me; be glad to meet and talk to you.
First, I'll note that we've clearly hi-jacked Roscoe's thread. But if Sy moved these last four postings to the Photogrammetrist thread, then Donald would be really really mad. In any event ... look for the person with the solid red helmet (same as in my avatar). See you this weekend.
Old 06-26-2006

Ha ! Admitting a problem is the first step to recovery!. No problem with thread hijacking... I like reading all you experienced guys stuff. I have lots to learn.. on Month till ADV 2 day at Tremblant!!
Old 06-26-2006
tto-tgood

RE: "summer vacation at Mt. Tremblant". I highly recommend that in your spare time there you try the "Luge" attraction/ride at the resort. You'll take the ski lift partway up the hill then climb onto these 3 wheeled sleds that are amazingly fun/fast.
The racetrack is amazing too!
Old 06-26-2006
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Andrew, be ready to race because chances are they'll squeeze you in, whether there are any no-shows or not. Make sure you say hi to everyone you can when you get there, they will all take good care of you. Have a blast!
Old 06-26-2006

Welcome Roscoe. I did my first race a month ago at Watkins Glen and will be at LR both in a few weeks as well as the last race of the Eastern Season. Hope to see you there! Is anyone else on here planning on attending the LR race in a few weeks? How will I know all you nice people?
Old 06-26-2006

Welcome Roscoe.

Jeff, I will be doing the LRP July race, I will be easy to find just look in front of you during the race Ha!!

Seriously, I will have a white Sparco suit with a big Ferrari Malboro patch on the back. Look forward to meeting you. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr922
Welcome Roscoe. I did my first race a month ago at Watkins Glen and will be at LR both in a few weeks as well as the last race of the Eastern Season. Hope to see you there! Is anyone else on here planning on attending the LR race in a few weeks? How will I know all you nice people?
Old 06-26-2006

wont be doing LRP in July (need to get the 2 day in first!). Will be shooting for Oct LRP practice and race. Maybe I will take the GT3 on a run out to LRP to watch and meet some of you guys .
Old 06-26-2006

Looking forward to meeting you Brian...try to slow up enough for me to wave hi!
Old 06-27-2006
Mission Possible

Gallery Images: 4

Welcome. Short and sweet, Lime Rock is a great track, wow, I started getting to used to a "manicured" track like Laguna seca and let me say, you cant be afraid to go out big if you're gonna try n go fast at lime rock. Have fun and good luck
Old 06-29-2006
Bavarian Berserk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
Hi Roscoe and welcome to TJR. There are a bunch of great people who use this site, and they all have an interest in auto racing. Their backgrounds, however, are fairly diverse. I noticed that Andrew listed Photogrammetrist as his occupation, and I am curious as to what that involves. In any event, welcome to the group.

You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?! That's ok. It's a long story and designed to make a few people laugh.

Welcome aboard...
Old 06-30-2006
WillowCross Racing

Hey Andrew,

How about putting your expertise to good use for us. Can you use aerial photos of the race courses we run on and tell us the shortest distance around the tracks versus the actual racing line? It be interesting to see, if you could do it, and could lead to some very interesting discussions.
Old 07-06-2006

To actually make precise measurements from the aerial photography requires more money than racing! (Believe it or not!)
We had a contract to map RA a few years ago, they cancelled before we got started. They probably would have frowned down on me using their map for my personal usage anyway.
However, I do bring nice enlargements of Road America, Mid-Ohio, and Watkins Glen ( not all at once) to the season ending banquet to have auctioned off for the mechanics fund. While they're not as precise as a map or an orthophoto, you can make fairly good localized measurements once you make a rough scale of the print.
Old 07-06-2006

Sy,

Thanks for encourging to bring my driving gear to RA last week-end.
They worked hard to fit me in, but thanks to Keith and the mechanics, they were able to get me some track time.
I had about ten laps total in practice after being out of a car for 9 months( no I wasn't pregant) because one sesson was shortened by ten minutes which I couldn't make up because cars were crashed,
and the second session ended early for me in Canada due to no brakes; a mechanical DNF if ever I had one! Group six qualifying on Saturday left me without a car. big crash fest during the earlier runs.
Fortunatetly for me, time ran out on Saturday to fit group six in and the hard working mechanics were able to catch up once we stopped trashing the cars and they were able to present one to me on Sunday morning. So I got to join in the fun and run both races on Sunday.
I had fun! I got one beef, but I don't want to levy it on anyone in particular because it happens often. I think I'll start another thread on how we drivers think we should be serving waving yellows and preserving the safety of the safety team and corner workers.
Old 07-07-2006

Well guys, HANS and new 3 layer suit arrived yesterday. I am fully outfitted now. Maybe I will see some of you at Tremblant in a few weeks.

Tim
Old 07-07-2006
Team Flying Randalls

Welcome Tim - -

I'm pretty new my self to SB racing, but have found both this site and the SB weekends very rewarding - - congrats on the Hans (smart move)

You might also want to consider arm restraints - - I've used the Hans and restraints since my adv 2-day - - no big deal getting used to them at all - - best of luck, see you at the track.

Steve
TFR
Old 07-07-2006
Team OC/AD D

Andrew, great to hear you had a good time! Whenever you go to the track, take your stuff.. you never know when you may need or want it. I even take my helmet with me to F1 races, just in case a seat opens up...

Tim, which suit did you buy?
Old 07-07-2006

I bot the Sabelt Driver Plus 2 from TeamDI
Old 07-07-2006
Team OC/AD D

Saweeeet. Looks like a good deal. Bob Zecca of DI raves about them, but I have yet to hear an unbiased review.

Bookmark This Thread