Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 12-18-2005
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Post Marco signs with AGR for full season, Michael to run with him at Indy

AGR Signs Marco Andretti to Wheldon Seat

Written by: Robin Miller Indianapolis, IN – 12/14/2005

Michael and Marco Andretti prior to Marco's first laps in an Indy Car at Michigan. (Photo: Michael L. Levitt/LAT)

Last month in Mexico City veteran motorsports journalist Gordon Kirby declared that Michael Andretti would come out of retirement to run next year's Indianapolis 500 so he could tutor son Marco, who would be taking Dan Wheldon's seat in the Indy Racing League for 2006.

The assembled media Kirby was addressing nodded our heads like it was possible but all of us quietly chuckled at this preposterous prediction and passed it off as Kirbs spending too much time alone in the woods of New Hampshire.

Well, it turns out 'ol Kirbs was right on the money.

Because SPEEDTV.com has learned that this improbable scenario is going to become a reality.

Marco Andretti will be joining Dario Franchitti, Tony Kanaan and Bryan Herta on the IRL's most dominating team in '06 and his father, the all-time winner in CART who quit racing following the 2003 Indy 500, will be in a fifth car for May.

Young Andretti is a surprise choice to replace '05 IRL champ Wheldon for no other reason than his lack of experience. Following go-karts, Skip Barber's national series and a title in Formula Renault 1600, the 18-year-old spent last season in Formula Star Mazda and the Infiniti Pro Series, where he captured three of the five races he entered.

With Tony Cicale engineering his IPS car, Marco triumphed on road courses at St. Petersburg, Sonoma and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He crashed in his oval-track debut at Indy after qualifying 10th and also ran second at Watkins Glen.

In Star Mazda, he scored no wins and was fifth in the point standings.

The education of Marco's career has been a bone of contention between Michael, who is adamant he stays in the IRL, and family patriarch, Mario, who wants to see his grandson's next step to Champ Car's Formula Atlantic series -- like Graham Rahal.

According to everyone associated with the family, Marco is conflicted because, obviously, he wants to please both his father and grandfather. Recently, he sought out advice from an unbiased party -- '96 CART champion Jimmy Vasser.

"I told him to do what he wanted to do, not what anyone else wanted," said Vasser.

Wheldon, who earned a record six wins and the IRL championship for AGR in his Jim Beam-sponsored Dallara/Honda, has moved on to Target/Ganassi Racing and Michael Andretti recently complained it left his team scrambling for a replacement.

Because of his age, Marco can't be sponsored by whiskey and will likely be shifted to the ARCA Ex car with Franchitti inheriting the Jim Beam sponsor.

Last edited by sydude; 12-18-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2005
Team OC/AD D

Re: Marco signs with AGR for full season, Michael to run with him at Indy

I think it's too early for Marco... He's got way too much pressure on him. Mario's got the concept for his education right, and Michael doesn't. And that's strange, because it was Michael that was holding Marco back from doing the Nationals too early just a few years ago.
Old 12-18-2005
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 57

He must be well connected or something. He was racing with pretenders like me just three years ago.

OLDMAN
Old 12-18-2005
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

It's clear that Marco's got some talent...he's had a very respectable career. However, it's also worth noting that he's a far more accomplished road course racer than oval, so jumping into a primary-oval series may not have been the wisest decision. He's too young to be competing at the IRL-level, he's just not good enough yet. Another season in Star Mazda or a season in Atlantics would make more sense, in my opinion.
Old 12-18-2005

Gallery Images: 1

Marco's a good kid. I wish him the best.
Old 12-18-2005
Selfish Bastard
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

I spoke to Marco a few weeks ago and he let me know what his plans were for 2006. He has no pressure from anyone other then himself.

18-19-20 who knows what the right age is? He is got a great team awesome genetics and he has nothing to prove till 2007 or 2008.

Remember Roger Yasaka or something like that.... he is still in the series and doing ok.

Good luck my little buddy, be safe.
Old 12-18-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Wow.

First of all, what an unbelievable opportunity.

But, it certainly does seem somewhat premature, doesn't it?! I hope that what he told Matt is true, that he feels no pressure other than from himself. Didn't he 'quit racing' a few years back because of the pressure? Hopefully he got his head around what he wants from himself and that is what motivates him now.

Either way, good luck Marco! Make us proud to know you! (no pressure though!)

Second of all.. I am changing my vote on the photo contest!
Old 12-19-2005
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

On the surface we'd all like to be Marco's age and have his problems right?...

"Let's see, should I make my winning racer, team owner, father happy and leap straight into the IRL on his team, before racing with him in arguably the most famous motor race on the planet?" Or... should I make my living legend grandfather happy and spend an additional year running in Formula Atlantic for some extra open-wheel seasoning before going to the big time... Hhmmm What's a teenager to do?"

What we can never know is what it's like to call yourself a racer with the Andretti moniker while having to deal with the internal and external pressures of that every day. Marco has no idea what it's like not to live with that pressure. Sounds like he may have adapted and released himself from most of it. Only time will tell.

He has now enjoyed the past few years of racer training in relative obscurity with the support and guidance of his grandfather, father and a host of friends and fellow racers from the feeder series he has run. That grooming to bring him into the family business is now coming to a head. It isn't a question of if he goes Indy racing, it's a question of when. Once he crosses that threshold he'll lose the option of further seasoning in a Mazda or Formula Atlantic series, so I'd vote with Mario and give him another year of low stakes craft building before putting him under the full sponsor and performance pressure of the IRL. But what do I know?

Everyone has an opinion and ultimately Jimmy Vasser is right. Marco is the only one who can know if he's ready or not.
Old 12-20-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

I say more power to Marco for having the chance to chase the dream! When I was a teenager someone messed with mine... I only ever got part way back on track, so to speak.
Old 12-21-2005
Grand Master

You never told us you were David Pearson's kid... :-)
Old 12-21-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
You never told us you were David Pearson's kid... :-)
Actually, I am Robert Pearson's kid... Being named after my father.

I swam, and had a coach decide to back off from pushing me. At 14 I was making serious waves (top in my age group, top 20 in the country in 1500m). A teammate, six years older, had just come home from the LA Olympics with a National Record in the 1500m (and was a finalist) and was jealous of my progress--I was nowhere near him--so the coach stopped pushing me. It was three years and a 500 mile move before I found a coach who would push me. So I was 20 before I made the National Team... and really, I had been on target for 16 or 17 when I was 14.

So when I see a kid get a chance like Marco Andretti is getting, I think it is great. No point in waiting or missing a chance when it can be had.
Old 12-21-2005
Grand Master

I understand your point, but there is a big difference between someone showing talent from obscurity and someone showing talent as the third generation of a legendary family in that sport. It isn't a question of missing the opportunity, its a question of managing the career he's going to have. With neither praise nor blame, given the talent Marco has already shown he will have many more opportunities to race with competitive teams than most because of his name and the sponsorship that name will attract. He'd have to lose all interest in racing or pick up a drug habit to derail the path he's on now. There has to be great family support there because his destiny is now to keep the family name alive in competitive racing for another generation. That keeps their brand and family name fresh and relevant in racing. Everybody wins. But that's also why there has to be a lot of pressure on him whether it is spoken about or not. He's the future of the franchise but if he's pushed to the pros too soon and stops enjoying the process he could lose his desire to race.

To some degree I think that happened with Michael. He's not too old to race, he just lost the hunger for it. It wasn't fun anymore. Another year in a feeder series might provide more balance and enjoyment for Marco that could lead to a longer happier career in the end. He may be totally ready to be thrown in the deep end of the pool but no one will know how it wears on him, including Marco, until it will be too late to take that extra year.

Either way, on the scale of life's problems... its a nice position to be in.
Old 12-22-2005
Rossi in '07!
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

I hope he wins the Indy 500, makes a jump to F1, and restores the glory!
Old 12-24-2005

Gallery Images: 14
Robin Miller has an article on speedtv.com about this subject.
Old 12-24-2005
Team OC/AD D

Thanks, Rog. Here it is:

Home :: News :: Commentary
MILLER: Hey Michael, why rush Marco?

Written by: Robin Miller Indianapolis, IN – 12/24/2005

Michael and Marco Andretti prior to Marco's first laps in an Indy Car at Michigan. (Photo: Michael L. Levitt/LAT)

Nobody is denying this third generation racer's potential or pedigree, but it just seems like such a rush job for no apparent reason...Robin Miller has his fingers crossed.

Let's get this out of the way up front.

Nobody spent more time in Michael Andretti's corner (in print) than I did for 20 years and it always bothered me when people would write or complain about his whining and constant frown because he always drove his heart out. On the track, in a modern day Indy car, nobody was better. Sure, he didn't have his father's personality or charisma off it, but he damn sure inherited the drive to win and that superceded everything for my money. He was a warrior who always made it worthwhile to watch.

On the flip side, I lost a lot of respect for him the past few years as he bashed Champ Car while toasting Tony George with Kool Aid cocktails. He chose to take Honda's money, admit he was "wrong" about George's vision and, incredibly, CART's all-time winner became the IRL's No. 1 cheerleader.

This obviously didn't bring any warm and fuzzy feelings on the homefront since Mario Andretti continues to be one of George's most vocal critics. Mikey scored some big points at the dinner table when he put the old man in Tony Kanaan's car in April of 2003 for a day of testing at Indianapolis. It turned into an aerobatic show as the '69 Indy winner survived a spectacular flip with only a scratch on his nose.

A lot of people questioned Michael's logic at that time -- just like they're doing right now. Then it was his 63-year-old father. Now it's his 18-year-old son.

The fact Marco Andretti is replacing Dan Wheldon for 2006 on Michael's IRL team is troubling to many members of the open wheel family. Naturally, few if anyone has said anything directly to Michael but drivers, mechanics and owners in both camps (IRL and Champ Car) have expressed their concerns in conversation, phone calls and emails.

"What is Michael thinking?", said one prominent IRL owner. "That kid doesn't have enough miles to be in an Indy car."

One veteran driver added: "Why would you put your son in that buzzsaw with no more experience than Marco has? It's insane."

That seems to be the conventional feeling.

Marco has won in go-karts, Skip Barber and Infiniti Pro Series. He appears super smooth and smart. He handled a personal tragedy last year (his best friend was killed in a car accident on his way to watch Marco race at St. Pete) with amazing aplomb in winning his IPS debut. He impressed everyone the first and only time he drove an Indy car last summer at Michigan. He's got his grandfather's passion to drive race cars, not to mention that Andretti pedigree.

"He's the best talent I've seen at his age in a long time," said Michael at the recent press conference to introduce the AGR lineup. "I'm not saying that because he's my son and that's not why he got the ride. The other two owners of this team wouldn't operate like that.

"He's shown the ability to always make the car faster and he's much more mature at his age than I was at 21."

That's when Mikey came to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, following Formula Fords and Toyota Atlantic. That was 1984 and, even though it took him two years to score his initial CART win, it was obvious early on that he was special.

Marco could be as well. He captured three of the four IPS road races in 2005, adapting nicely to the big jump in horsepower. Sure, there were usually 3-4 good racers in those small IPS fields but the Andrettis hired Tony Cicale to engineer and beating Marty Roth & Company isn't exactly the best yardstick.

He also finished fifth in the Star Mazda series last year and didn't win (by comparison, Graham Rahal was fourth in the Mazda points and heading for Champ Car's Atlantic series in 2006). Marco also crashed in his IPS oval debut at Indy.

Now nobody is denying this third generation racer doesn't pack plenty of potential or can't carry on the family's fast tradition, but it just seems like such a rush job for no apparent reason. It's not like Marco's window of opportunity is going to shut if he's not in an Indy car next season.

Mario played the proud grandpa last week, but privately feels Marco needs more seasoning and wanted to further the kid's education in Europe. The greatest all-around driver of our time is naturally worried about this flesh and blood at Texas, Kansas City and Chicago. Hold down the throttle for two hours at 210 mph and pray, that's about the best advice he can give.

Michael might enjoy watching those mile-and-a-half kamikaze runs but he wisely opted not to drive in any of them during his brief IRL tour in '03. How could he feel comfortable about putting his son out there with one oval start?

And what's Marco supposed to do? He wants to please his dad and he's being offered one of the best seats in open wheel racing. I called it child abuse when A.J. Foyt threw grandson Anthony to the wolves in 2003 because it was. Marco has eons of experience compared to what IV sported at 19.

Not to mention Anthony had no teammates, no engineer and no chance while Marco will be surrounded by three savvy veterans (four at Indy with his pop) and a first-class team. He'll have the best chance to succeed of any rookie.

It was obvious to everyone at the press conference that Michael is over-the-moon about running Indianapolis with Marco. He wore an all-day grin and sounded downright giddy about May. Other than race day, May couldn't get over soon enough for him most years but you came away thinking Michael wants this May to go real slow so he can savor it.

Of course it's a great media storyline. The driver who's led 400 laps without a win at Indy is making one more pass at victory lane with his boy -- the first third generation driver in the 90-year history of IMS. Nobody knows Marco any better than Michael so we can only trust he's doing the right thing and it works out. He certainly believes in his son's abilities to make this jump.

But when Mario walked off the stage last Tuesday, his parting shot was that he's keeping his fingers crossed for his grandson.

That seems to be the universal sign.

Robin Miller covers open wheel racing for SPEEDTV.com, SPEED News and WIND TUNNEL. A lifelong resident of Indianapolis, an 18-year-old Miller stooged for his hero Jim Hurtubise at the Indianapolis 500 in 1968 and began covering motorsports for The Indianapolis Star in 1969. Besides working on Indy pit crews from 1968-78, Miller also competed on the USAC midget circuit from 1975-83. During the past 35 years he's also been a contributor for Autoweek, Autosport, Car & Driver, ESPN The Magazine and several publications that folded and still owe him money. He is single, a degenerate gambler and despises the NASCAR phrase, "We had a Top 20 car today."

Robin Miller is not affiliated with RACER magazine and his views should not be considered representative of RACER or of Haymarket Worldwide Inc.

The opinions reflected herein are solely those of the above commentator and are not necessarily those of SpeedTV.com, FOX, NewsCorp, or Speed Channel

© Copyright 2004 Speed Channel. All rights reserved.

Old 12-27-2005
Rossi in '07!
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

If Marco wins the Indy 500, wouldn't it be ironic if Michael finished second?
Old 12-27-2005
Grand Master

That reminds me of my favorite quote from Al Unser Jr. after his dad beat him in a hard fought race in the old CART series.

"He taught me everything I know... But he didn't teach me everything HE knows!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmg321
If Marco wins the Indy 500, wouldn't it be ironic if Michael finished second?
Old 12-27-2005
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
That reminds me of my favorite quote from Al Unser Jr. after his dad beat him in a hard fought race in the old CART series.

"He taught me everything I know... But he didn't teach me everything HE knows!"
damn I miss those days.........thanks for the great line DD, so good

Bookmark This Thread