Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions
View Poll Results: What do you think of Mazda as SBRS' new partner?
I think Mazda would be a great choice 50 92.59%
I think Mazda would be a terrible choice 0 0%
Take it or leave it, I don't think it matters much 2 3.70%
No point - I don't believe it will happen 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Dodge out, Mazda in at SBR

This from Michael Palmer:

Mazda is poised to become the Driving Force in North American Road Racing.

Los Angeles. In an Autoextremist Exclusive, we have learned that the Skip Barber Racing Organization will have a new partner beginning in 2007 - Mazda. After years with the Chrysler Group's Dodge division, the Lime Rock, Connecticut-based racing school has signed a deal with the Japanese automaker and Ford affiliate, which means that Mazda will become the exclusive vehicle supplier to America's most well-known professional racing school. The announcement of the deal, which is slated for the Performance Racing Industry (PRI) trade show coming up on December 14-16, in Orlando, Florida, was confirmed by a source with knowledge of the developing situation.

With this announcement, Mazda becomes the driving force powering the motorsports "ladder" in North American road racing. This means that a burgeoning driving talent can jump from Karts, to the Skip Barber Racing School, to the National Skip Barber Racing School Series, to Star Mazda, all the way up to the Champ Car-sanctioned Atlantic series - and basically complete his or her racing education exclusively in Mazda-powered racers.

The interesting part of this new partnership is that the Skip Barber racing organization will also be able to offer developmental racing programs for the racer more interested in closed-wheel machines. The school will build a fleet of the extremely popular Mazda MX-5 Cup cars for use both at the school and then at the Pro Races. So if open-wheel racing isn't your thing, you could conceivably compete in the Skip Barber Racing School, the Skip Barber Racing School Series, MX-5 Cup, Grand Am Cup, Speed World Challenge and ultimately in the American Le Mans Series in an LMP2 racing machine - all with Mazda power.

In this oftentimes grim era of the NASCAR-ization of American racing, I applaud Mazda (and Ford) for taking a leadership position in not only developing young racers, but in keeping the sport of road racing alive and well in North America for years to come.

Congratulations to all involved in making this new partnership come together.
Old 11-30-2006

Gallery Images: 8
Re: Dodge out, Mazda in at SBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Greist
After years with the Chrysler Group's Dodge division, the Lime Rock, Connecticut-based racing school has signed a deal with the Japanese automaker and Ford affiliate, which means that Mazda will become the exclusive vehicle supplier to America's most well-known professional racing school.
That's good news. Considering the the financial condition of the Ford parent company, who would have bet SBR would find an open teat at a subsidiary? Let's hope it sticks. Wonder if it's a rotary or reciprocating engine deal? Makes the Star Mazda chassis look like the SBR frontrunner?
Old 11-30-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Fairly certain there will be no rotary power in the skippy cars. If Mazda works out it could be a reciprocating engine that has similar power to the current Neon engine but can be electronically equalized to slightly different power outputs for different applications (school, regional, national) If the electronic hp tuning is accurate enough there would be no need for a Super Trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
That's good news. Considering the the financial condition of the Ford parent company, who would have bet SBR would find an open teat at a subsidiary? Let's hope it sticks. Wonder if it's a rotary or reciprocating engine deal? Makes the Star Mazda chassis look like the SBR frontrunner?

Last edited by dalyduo; 11-30-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2006
Grand Master

Come to think of it... If the "AutoExtremist" is wrong and the deal hasn't been inked yet... (Given the supposed announce date of mid December) this may not be accurate info...

Should be an interesting day in Lakeville...
Old 11-30-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Well that's very good news! It will be interesting to see the differences in engine and car because of this.
Old 11-30-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Fantastic news. It all fits. Hats off to the SBRS management.
Old 12-01-2006
Mission Possible
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Fairly certain there will be no rotary power in the skippy cars. If Mazda works out it could be a reciprocating engine that has similar power to the current Neon engine but can be electronically equalized to slightly different power outputs for different applications (school, regional, national) If the electronic hp tuning is accurate enough there would be no need for a Super Trap.
Let us not cast aside the work of SBRS competition, JRRS. They have successfully managed to make equal cars with the rotary engine. And hey when they say there is a rev limit of 5,600rpm, there is an actual rev-limiter to keep you from going over, what a novel idea. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2006
Grand Master

Wasn't casting aside the work of anyone Quickster, just reflecting conversations I had with developers of the new car months ago on power plants being considered. A Mazda rotary engine would be awesome but probably overkill on everthing but the national series... in which you made considerable progress this year by the way... Nice work and congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Quik
Let us not cast aside the work of SBRS competition, JRRS. They have successfully managed to make equal cars with the rotary engine. And hey when they say there is a rev limit of 5,600rpm, there is an actual rev-limiter to keep you from going over, what a novel idea. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2006
Mission Possible

Gallery Images: 4

Quote:
Wasn't casting aside the work of anyone Quickster, just reflecting conversations I had with developers of the new car months ago on power plants being considered. A Mazda rotary engine would be awesome but probably overkill on everthing but the national series... in which you made considerable progress this year by the way... Nice work and congrats.
Roger that. I derived my oppinion from time spent in the Russell cars (looks over both shoulders for an anti-russell-sniper) I believe with gearing, and a little tuning down, they would actualy be awsome. The way the engine responds to throttle input just seems to be, for lack of a better term, more like a race car. Plus they sound cool. (I know whenever we go from running anywhere other than Laguna, to Laguna, we miss that vroom-vroom sound) (to be zoom-zoom soon right?) Mazda boasts 238hp which is a bit more than the supposed 150hp, but as with most things in life, I'm sure it can be tamed down a bit. I nominate myself as a great example of that. (doh! there I go again) Thank you for the kudos, I appreciate it.
Old 12-04-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Smile Re: Dodge out, Mazda in at SBR

I hope the rumor becomes reality. Mazda is a great fit for all of Skip's offerings.

Pat's assumption of using a 4 banger sounds logical. Their 2.3 and 2.0 liter powerplants are reliable and easy to maintain. The 2.0 liter engine is used in both the 3 and MX-5 and puts out 153 and 166 hp respectively. I believe the differences are ECU-related. In both configurations, it's a similar powerplant to the current 2.0 liter engine used in the school cars and R/Ts, making peak torque in the 5000 rpm range, albeit more torque.

With cars such as the RX-8, MX-5, and Mazdaspeed 3 (even the standard 3 is fun), Skip can put an affordable manufacturer driving school back on the menu. The RX-8 would likely be a great skidpad car, but proper testing will determine.

Fingers crossed.
Old 12-05-2006

With all that's been said, I think we forgot to mention that Mazda has naming rights to the Western Series home track - Laguna Seca. I think having Mazda as the new partner would be a tremendous fit for SBRS for this alone - if for nothing more then to have an interest in the top driving school at one of the top tracks around the country all supporting the Mazda brand.

My first car was an RX7 and it was amazing. The rotary engine is bullet proof. The head Mazda mechanic told me one thing when I got the car. As long as there is oil, it's nearly indistructable. I had that car on the red-line every shift for 4 years and it loved it. It was capable of a lot more then the 8K redline.

Everything that I have read about the mazdaspeed 3 suggests that this could be a great powerplant. Would this mean faster cars for the series? Does anyone know the original HP rating of the Dodge powerplants we are currently using and presumably de-tuned?

I would be interested in stepping up to nationals for a couple races just to drive the rotary again and I would even consider re-visiting the classroom if there were a spec-miata SB offering. Whats to come?
Old 12-07-2006

It was pretty strange at Laguna Seca today seeing NO DODGES! But lots of Mazdas. Advanced Car Control Clinic with Miatas instead of Vipers. And not a single Neon to be seen.
Old 12-07-2006
Grand Master

So the Mazda cat has finally slipped out of the bag eh? Gosh... You think that means the deal's been signed?!

Apparently before they were able to pry the Dodge Neon keys away from esteemed instructors Bruce MacInnes, Phil Lombardi, Matt Franc and a host of others they first had to let them test drive a Mazdaspeed 3 for its suitability as a school car. Some surveillance footage of those street tests was shot and was so compelling it has been edited into a pilot for a reality series. Here's a link to that test. Enjoy! (As the movie begins to load be sure and click "Play Full Screen" just below the center of the small screen to fully enjoy the film. SBRS test drive of Mazdaspeed 3

Guess that would make this officially the worst kept secret on the planet...

That PRI tradeshow is just a week away so it shouldn't be too long before we get "official" word that Daimler/Chrysler has purchased Ford/Mazda so it can continue its sponsorship of the SBRS.

Should be awfully "Zoom Zoom" around the SBRS office this holiday season.

This is very good news for all of us... who fit nicely in a Miata

Kidding aside... This is truly great news. Thanks for reporting it.

Were the Miata's and/or other Mazda vehicles Skippy red or were they using other crayons from the box?

Last edited by dalyduo; 12-08-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
drive of Mazdaspeed 3
Were the Miata's and/or other Mazda vehicles Skippy red or were they using other crayons from the box?
The colors are all over the place. Ricky Schmidt says the cars were a bunch that were on a ship that had a problem and, though they weren't damaged, they couldn't actually sell any of the cars from that ship. Now, we all know how much of what he's full of most of the time , but...
Old 12-08-2006

Question Re: Dodge out, Mazda in at SBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdewitt
It was pretty strange at Laguna Seca today seeing NO DODGES! But lots of Mazdas. Advanced Car Control Clinic with Miatas instead of Vipers. And not a single Neon to be seen.
Ahh, but what motors are in the RT's for the scheduled races this weekend? I'd bet a Dodge - Mazda motor swap is no trivial task in the RT's, considering all of the "stuff" that will be in a different location, motor mounts, intake, exhaust, alternator, etc, etc. Are the intake and exhaust even on same sides as the Dodge? Do they even have exhaust systems for the Mazda motors yet? So many questions...
Old 12-08-2006
Grand Master

You'd imagine some sort of transition schedule has been negotiated to phase out the Dodge motors and phase in Mazda.

As you suggest, it will be no small task swapping out motors in the entire fleet and a more interesting question will be whether they put Mazda power in the R/T's at all. If they are close to pulling the trigger on the new car (and what better time to announce a new car than with a new sponsor...) it would be much more practical to leave the Dodge motors in the R/T's through the end of their service life. Just swap the Dodge decals for Mazda decals on the cars and leave the Neon motors in there short term. Easy for me to say... Only time will tell. I'd be dangerous if I actually knew something. This is all just speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
Ahh, but what motors are in the RT's for the scheduled races this weekend? I'd bet a Dodge - Mazda motor swap is no trivial task in the RT's, considering all of the "stuff" that will be in a different location, motor mounts, intake, exhaust, alternator, etc, etc. Are the intake and exhaust even on same sides as the Dodge? Do they even have exhaust systems for the Mazda motors yet? So many questions...

Last edited by dalyduo; 12-08-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2006

Question Re: Dodge out, Mazda in at SBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdewitt
Geez, what about Mazda engine block to Ricardo bellhousing adapters for the transaxles? Might be a standard Star or Formula Mazda part, but could you buy 50 or 60 of them off the shelf?

Bookmark This Thread