Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 10-15-2007
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Hans device slipping out from under harness

Sorry if this has been covered. I searched, honest, but didn't see this topic discussed previously.

When my kid did the 3 day a few weeks back, the right shoulder harness sometimes slipped off it's place over the device. He's 125lbs and 5'7 so not tiny, and I added the optional gell pad underneath the hans to build up some height. (Also a fair amount of padding under him) I personally fastened his harnesses (moms orders) and they were winched down plenty tightly. The FIA/Hans mounting instructions show the rear belts almost touching each other where they mount in back of the driver, and the skip cars have them spaced ~6" apart, so likely that is part of the problem.

Have others found solutions to keep the straps in place? When he does the 2 day advanced next month it would be nice to have this solved. Whatever the solution it is complicated by the fact that during the schools he is sharing the car with someone else...
Thx
Old 10-15-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Hans device slipping out from under harness

There is a large thread on HANS, this link will take you to some slipping belt discussions. Does your HANS have the rough, non-slip surface on the tops? Def helps keep the belts in place.

btw, moved thread to this forum, thanks for posting!
Old 10-15-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Here is a link to a helpful thread.

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=1075

One thing that I do is criss-cross the shoulder belts and put the left shoulder belt hook onto the latch before the center hook (the anti-submarine belt) and then the right belt. That seems to help. I agree that the posts for the shoulder belts need to be closer together. Before doing all of the things that I described in the other post, I sometimes had the belts slip off of my HANS, but it has never occurred since then.
Old 10-15-2007

Gallery Images: 8

The criss crossing of the right and left belt works pretty good but is not perfect. I still find myself having to check my belts on tracks like LRP that put a lot of stress on the car and driver.

Last edited by cdh; 10-16-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2007

Thanks for the links. Criss crossing the straps sounds like it would solve the problem. They swivel at the mounting point do they? Slightly uneasy about it from the standpoint of departing from mfr specs on the straps, thinking here of Earnhardt 's improvisations with his Simpson belts that led to failure. But if they swivel I guess the loads on the webbing should be fine.
He does the 2day Adv at Sebring Nov 3/4 so I'll try it out then.

Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

I may be wrong, but I thought the RT-2000 has better positioned belts to start with than does the car you use at the three-day school, so that may ameliorate things right there.
Old 10-16-2007

I have chosen to criss cross as it is certainly better than having the belt slip off as easily. Certainly not perfect but better...
Old 10-17-2007
administrationistperson

Does sitting lower in the car make them less likely to slip off? I sit low, must be the short legs, and have never had a slipping problem I guess all newer HANS have the non-skid surface on the braces?
Old 10-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
I guess all newer HANS have the non-skid surface on the braces?
Ours did, purchased in August. It's not all _that_ grippy but I'm guessing it can't be without the risk of binding when you tighten the straps.
Old 10-17-2007
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Doug, we're about the same height. I always thought sitting lower helepd and I never had one slip off until last week at Lime Rock. Glad it was at the end of the race !

Viz
Old 10-17-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman
...I never had one slip off until last week at Lime Rock. Glad it was at the end of the race !
Viz
Not a good distraction as you are turning into the Uphill....or West Bend....or....

Thinking more on this, it may not be that I'm low in the seat but laying more prone than upright. Belts are fairly straight from over the shoulders to lap belt.
Old 10-17-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Thinking more on this, it may not be that I'm low in the seat but laying more prone than upright. Belts are fairly straight from over the shoulders to lap belt.
I sit more prone but have been experimenting with a more upright position and have not had any problem. I do think the RT has more HANS-friendly anchor points than the school car for the shoulder belts.
Old 10-17-2007

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Not a good distraction as you are turning into the Uphill....or West Bend....or....

Thinking more on this, it may not be that I'm low in the seat but laying more prone than upright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands
I sit more prone but have been experimenting with a more upright position and have not had any problem.
The word is "supine" and not prone. Mark Rudd (of SDS fame) stated loudly that the only position women had in SDS was prone, to which one woman corrected him that he meant supine. Funny where, when, and how you increase your vocabulary.
Old 10-17-2007
administrationistperson

you are correct sir.......what were we talking about?
Old 10-17-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie
The word is "supine" and not prone. Mark Rudd (of SDS fame) stated loudly that the only position women had in SDS was prone, to which one woman corrected him that he meant supine. Funny where, when, and how you increase your vocabulary.
Yeah i should know that, right? Power of suggestion (cdh's). Besides I prefer the supine position for almost everything the ladies can be prone all they want
Old 10-17-2007
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

This probably won't help if you already have one, but I think HANS added a raised lip to their newest model for just this reason. The result is the belt resting in a channel.

I use the criss-cross method with the older style which seems to work pretty well.
Old 10-17-2007

LRP certainly tends to give me more Hans trouble then the other tracks since track tends to beat up on you more.

I have an older Hans with no lip. A few guys were using a velcro strap around the front of the shoulder belts across the chest area to keep them more centered on your chest therby reducing the chance of falling off the shoulders. They also put a very bright pull on the velcro strap in case of needign to exit quickly. I was never comfortable adding another piece to remove from the belts...
Old 10-20-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

I have not had any issue with my HANS in a Skippy Car - but in a spec Miata (with a "HANS-compliant race seat") we all had trouble with them coming off.

Try this - take some 3M Velcro tape, attach a couple small strips of the "male" side (the hooks...) across the HANS where the belts lie. Assuming you lay the belts on top of them, when you cinch them down, you get a bit of extra bite that stabilizes the belts.

In a Skippy car, where you strap in/out once per race, you can take an extra second to postion the belts and tighten them. In the Miata, during enduros, it doesn't cause any problems getting out, but it is a pain trying to throw the belts back on a bit during driver changes - we ended up having to have driver #3 dive into the passenger side to do it...then again, it acts like velcro, so once you get it on right, it stays while you clip in.

A downside - it does fray up the belts on the inside, which would definitely require inspection and shorter life...however, I'd bet $50 its less damage than having the nylon sit out in the sun and rain like they do today

Hope to see some of you guys at Laguna - off to Seoul and India for me this week....

Tags
hans device

Bookmark This Thread