Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 12-14-2008
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
West Coast Seat Inserts

The past couple of days I was at Laguna Seca (flew home today) and saw a really fine seat insert. I asked the driver about it, and there is a West Coast Skippy mechanic who does them. The surface you sit against is a soft material, and the rest of the exterior is a really excellent tape job. The interior is made of the material from the two chemicals that mix together and then set.

I do not recall the name of the mechanic, but perhaps someone on the East Coast can track him down and bring the art to this side of the world. My insert has held up extremely well, but I could be convinced to get another one that was put together with the added quality of the insert that I saw.
Old 12-14-2008
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: West Coast Seat Inserts

Ted,
Great to see on the left coast...
Those seat inserts you refer to are the product of a cottage industry pioneered by a couple of west coast INSTRUCTORS Jeff Rodriquez and Ricky Schmidt.

Jeff and Ricky take the task very seriously and put a lot of care and craftsmanship into each unit. I believe the going rate is around $200 and helps keep them afloat....

I don't think the west coast guys frequent this board, but I think that Rob Slonaker might have a handle on the process...

Happy Holidays,
SD
Old 12-15-2008
Punisher
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

StevieD, I second that emotion.

A properly-made, custom seat insert will take 0.5 to 1 sec off your lap time. It lets you forget about bracing yourself in the car and focus on driving. It's a great investment and those guys (Jeff and Ricky) really do make excellent ones.
Old 12-15-2008
Skippy Instructor
Rookie / Advanced Member (<10 Posts)

Thanks Stevie for the kind words. Yes, I am the guilty one. For many years I have worked to perfect the best seat insert available for the Skippy racer. This year I have recruited Ricky Schmidt to help handle the workload. Ricky is more a perfectionist than I so he will be helpful in me keeping up. He has already began an experimental "riblet technology" (pat. pend) that should help for the bigger drivers to enjoy the benefits of a properly fitted seat.

I have had requests from east coast drivers and have no problem passing on my techniques. It is still only two part foam, pour in too much and cut away the excess, sand and cover with automotive headliner material. Lots of time is required but certainly easy to learn.

I can also make the insert in two pieces so it can pack and travel easier.

If any of you make it out here and we can help you out let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff Rodrigues
Old 12-16-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Thanks Jeff,

I sounds very attractive.

Any pictures of the one and/or two piece West Coast seat we could look at?

Tags
seat inserts

Bookmark This Thread