Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 05-06-2008
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
THE GLEN

Ok, Who's going to the Glen? Who's staying at the Seneca Lodge? And Who wants the energy drink concession?
After reports of major spins at VIR I am afraid of the carnage that WGI could inflict.
Also were there any mechanical issues with the cars; brakes, steering parts, and gas tank issues?
Inquiring minds would like to know!!
Old 05-06-2008
Big Dick
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: THE GLEN

VIR was my first regional event event in quite awhile, and I will say that a great time was had by all. The staff and coaches were, as always, beyond outstanding, Keith did another masterful job running pit lane and the crew were totally on top of the game under Joe's leadership. The cars were good - no more issues than one might expect at any race weekend in any other high level amateur or professional venue, and the testers were always right there to take a car out and see that any necessary adjustments were made. I really don't think that SBRS could have done a better job. It was a truly wonderful experience.
Old 05-06-2008
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

I will be there to at least shoot video, hopefully do some racing. Seneca lodge - I will have dinner there..... Some hilarious stories from that fabled property. My first ever weekend I was told to book there by my CRS, OK. Get there, there was a bed, a TV but no phone. "Yes, that is normal, that room does not have a phone". Ok, the place drips history but also some other substances (kidding, couldn't resist) so off to the Glen Motor Inn I went, somehow a room was available. There are even more ridiculous stories from the GMI but that's why these places are fun, bring bedroom slippers....kidding! sorta.

Another Seneca classic, a racer returns to his room, switches on TV, but channel keeps changing on it's own. Informs desk of problem - "yes, that is normal, your TV is hooked to the bar TV so what ever they are watching will be on your TV".

Go for it, the Seneca bar is plastered with amazing racing relics and the food at restaurant is very good, I imagine some of the bugs I mentioned are sorted out by now....that may be the wrong choice of words

FWIW I am staying at Falls Motel in Montour, a nice place without history but clean, cheap and very close to track (even has a phone and a remote that works), see ya in a few weeks.
Old 05-07-2008
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

The Glen has been on my "must drive" list for 4 years so we are finally taking the plunge this year. VIR sounded like a success for all but a few formerly fast Sportsmen now being royally humbled in the one class system. I go in expecting to be royally humbled so that if anything other than humbling occurs I'll be pleasantly surprised! Armco looms large but so do the smiles and stories about this great historic track. I'll be relaxing in the lap of internet luxury at the Falls Motel where they change the sheets instead of your TV channel.

Who else is going?
Old 05-07-2008

Gallery Images: 8

Can't miss it. #1 on my list of best tracks to drive.
Old 05-07-2008
Diesel Demon

We'll be there for a double ! Scene of my ADV 2 Day, first Skippy race weekend and oh yeah, first Skippy crash. It all adds to the history experienced there for me, going back to F1 (Stewart, Cevert, Hunt, Revson, Skip), Can-Am, Endurance, club events.

I'm sure the departed legends have welcomed Mr. Argetsinger to their viewing stand, sadly though, our loss.

I'd suggest we honor this gentleman with a Memorial Race named for the man who got it all started up there !! It would be most fitting.

Viz
Old 05-07-2008
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

I'm in.
Can't wait to get back in the seat.

hope they have lots of that blue paint laying around

Se ya there DD
Old 05-08-2008

Gallery Images: 6

I'll be there and doing a double to boot - look out Viz!!!
Old 05-09-2008
red mist junkie

I have come to the conclusion that the old members of the Team Juicy group have gotten soft!
Why would any of you give up the charm of the Seneca Lodge or the Glen Motor Inn for a clean, comfortable, tv, phone equipped room, instead of a trip down memory lane.
Where else can you sleep on the same mattress AND sheets, walk on the SAME carpet, use the same towels and breathe the same dust as Goerge Folmer, or Dennis Hulme or maybe Jackie Stewart?
Come to think of it......Do you think there is any room at the Super 8?
Oh my God What have I done? I must have lost my mind by staying 3 nights! This will probably reflect in my lap times! dead sloooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 05-09-2008
Big Dick

It should be a requirement for anyone who races at the Glen to, at least once, stay at the GMI and dine at the Seneca Lodge. Each is an integral part of experiencing the legacy that is Watkins Glen.
Old 05-09-2008
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Good stuff

George, your lap times will improve with your stay at Lodge

I like GMI but Falls Motel a budget compromise, GMI is a fun place to stay. A classic at GMI tells the story - first time there I was amused at the large console TV on floor, long since dead, being used as the table for newer TV on top of it
Old 05-12-2008
Tire Pariahrometer
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Dick Lippert:
I'm with you 100%. A guy driving Formula 1 in the sixties, like Brabham, Stewart, Siffert, Andretti, etc. would live with a lack of TV and Phone and would stay, as part of the racing group, at at the Glen Motor Inn. You might be sleeping in the same bed ( perhaps different sheets) than Jim Clark or Graham Hill.

At the Seneca Lodge you can take advantage of good food. They pride themselves on serving fresh and organic entrees. The rooms may be crude, versus modern standards, but they are within a stumble from the dining room and within yards of the historic bar where Grand Prix-winning wreaths are hung from the walls. Each is autographed by USGP race winners, such as Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi, Ronnie Peterson, James Hunt, and others .

Most Post-Race Celebrations were held here. Urge the bar-tenders and they'll que up videos of the Grand Prix events starting with film of the 1948 race through the streets. There is really no greater holy- place for sports car racing than here. Cameron Argetsinger, Peter's dad, passed away recently and was responsible for bringing European-style road racing to the US, and later in life, established the Motor Racing Research Center, a Library of the history of motor racing in the USA. His office was right down the street.
Old 05-13-2008
red mist junkie

Two years ago I was eating at the Seneca Lodge with the local Dodge dealer Mike Learn and a friend of mine from home. My friend Tom asked Mike what was good on the menu. Mike said he had been eating there for 40 years and never had anything but the London Broil. (40 years x 10 times a year of nothing but London Broil)
Tom then asked the waitress for some suggestions. She said "I hear this is good, and that is supposed to be good". Tom asked her what she liked. She said "I don't eat much here, I'm a vegetarian!!!"

Bookmark This Thread