Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 11-23-2012
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Terrific 2-day at Sebring

Thanks to Paul, Don and Spencer for the good instruction, and what a good group of folks to be out driving with.

My final session of the 2-day, I really think I was starting to get it (that's Spencer mugging for my GoPro).

Old 11-24-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Terrific 2-day at Sebring

Sounds and looks like you had a very good time.

Nice consistent line and pace. Good job. As your seat time grows you'll discover places where you can carry a bit more speed confidently. Shaving those tenths happens gradually and you're on a good track to find them.

There may be a little more speed available through turn one as you weren't getting to the exit curbing. When running the full course a good run through turn one will take you all the way to the exit rumble strip. Realize you're trying to get the car pulled back to the left to setup for the cutoff but would be interested to see what others were doing there. Very solid run.

Have only run the full course at Sebring. They use the cutoff after turn 1, used for this session, on pace laps during race starts. Have also never seen the cone configuration in turn 17 before. I assume they do that to avoid the delicate high speed balance while downshifting required into the normal turn 17 configuration to avoid potential crash damage.

What's next for you Alan?
Old 11-24-2012
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Re: Terrific 2-day at Sebring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Sounds and looks like you had a very good time.

Nice consistent line and pace. Good job. As your seat time grows you'll discover places where you can carry a bit more speed confidently. Shaving those tenths happens gradually and you're on a good track to find them.
That's pretty much the way I felt about it. They had to put me in a different car for the last session (my original one wasn't shifting well; the lever wouldn't always return to centre after a downshift) and so I had to get used to a slightly different feeling brake pedal; it ended up feeling even better than my first one--very firm, very early, so I concentrated on consistency.

Quote:
There may be a little more speed available through turn one as you weren't getting to the exit curbing. When running the full course a good run through turn one will take you all the way to the exit rumble strip. Realize you're trying to get the car pulled back to the left to setup for the cutoff but would be interested to see what others were doing there. Very solid run.
Yeah... I knew there was more to be had on the exit of turns one and seven (17a/b-18 as it would be on the full circuit), but they're both pretty intimidating exits.

Quote:
Have only run the full course at Sebring. They use the cutoff after turn 1, used for this session, on pace laps during race starts. Have also never seen the cone configuration in turn 17 before. I assume they do that to avoid the delicate high speed balance while downshifting required into the normal turn 17 configuration to avoid potential crash damage.
They said as much, yes. I think I would have been fine with it, but with the combination of high-speed turn-in, turning, braking, and downshifting, I think the potential for a major-league off would have been high.

Quote:
What's next for you Alan?
I'm not entirely certain. I'm leaning toward doing at least one Skip Barber race, so that I can get in traffic and start working on that aspect of my game before I'm doing it in my own car. If I pick a race at Sebring or Laguna Seca, I can both be in a car and on a circuit that are familiar to me, giving me more spare brain cycles to work on the racing aspect. It's going to mean spending a number that's probably equal to my anticipated running costs for an entire season of club racing, but I can see a lot of value in it.

Looking at the schedule, I might do February at Sebring, or March at Laguna Seca. Both have their drawing points: I've run the entire circuit at Laguna, but I think I'd definitely be better and more accurate next time out, but there's also something to be said for doing Sebring, doing the lapping day as well as the practice day to learn the whole circuit and see how fast I can bring myself up to speed.

We'll see.

Bookmark This Thread