Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 07-18-2012
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Jumping in with both feet.

...at least, I'm pretty sure. I am about to purchase a Van Diemen RF89, after all.

I've always been a racing fan; for as long as I can remember (almost).

I started going to road races when my stepdad, a former MGA racer, started taking us to Harewood and Mosport for weekends. I can still remember the smell of race cars and hay. Before I became a teenager, I'd been to at least a dozen major racing events at Mosport (F1 and CanAm; still love the big CanAm cars).

But then life intruded, and I stopped going to races. The F1 moved to Montreal, the CanAm somehow wasn't the same when it became rebodied F5000s. And as an adult, I never quite convinced myself that I should spend the money on the "frivolity" of a race driving course.

I did still love racing and watched it on TV and went to the IndyCar events in Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton with my dad (still alive and also very much a racing fan)

Then three years ago, my dad died; too young. Then I turned 50, and my family asked me what I wanted for such a momentous number. And after thinking for a little bit, I figured it out. They all contributed (and I don't want to know who put in how much) and I paid a part of it (because now I had to, didn't I?), and I finally took the course at Laguna Seca last month.

And I loved it.

I loved it so much, I gave them the $200 for 20% off the next course (now in the process of being booked). I loved it so much that I took a long look at the idea of throwing $15K-$25K on upgrading my Miata to a V8, and realized that for that money, I could buy a real race car.

Then I found a local guy who had put his Van Diemen RF89 up for sale. The car with motor, a spare motor, other spares, body molds... ...even an enclosed trailer to get it to the events. And I found out that a friend of mine knows the previous owner who could give me the rundown on the car, and the rundown was good.

So here I am. Jumping in with both feet.

Old 07-19-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Jumping in with both feet.

Boy are you in the right place. Welcome to the club Alan. You'd be surprised at how many of us found that racing life began at 50.

Two suggestions.
First, you might want to contact GT-Subject on this site as he's a racing Canadian who's practiced the craft both in and outside of Skip Barber and is currently racing his own vintage Star Mazda car in Canada and the US.

Second, consider doing a few Skip Barber race weekends after your advanced 2-day racing school to develop your craft before putting your own car at risk. It'll give you both racing confidence and limited liability... which is a very good thing when you are starting out.

Keep us posted going forward and congrats on crossing over.
Old 07-19-2012
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Hi Alan,
Pat (dalyduo) is right, I definitely would contact GT-Subject. He'd be very pleased to talk with you about it. I would also second his second point about doing some weekends with Skip. It will really steepen your learning curve because you get so much feedback for things that might take years to figure out yourself. You also will get video and data with your sessions and if you'd like, someone will go over that data with you (for a small extra charge). That is very valuable in going faster because your laps can be overlaid onto a test driver's lap and show you exactly where you can improve. It will also help you learn how to read the data. It can make your driving sooooo much less frustrating and more fun for years to come no matter what you drive.

Also, don't think you have to rush to buy your own car just because you found one that's conveniently nearby. I know you're excited but there are a LOT of cool race cars to buy and you can "try before you buy" by renting one of them first. That way you'll have a much better idea of what a car feels like before committing to such a large purchase. A car might look cool, but you could hate the way it drives. Go to an SCCA weekend and walk around the paddock. Talk to the teams and owners of cars you think might be fun; they are usually very happy to talk about their cars. They can give you a good idea of costs per weekend like fuel, tires, transportation, entry fees, competitiveness of the field, prep costs, etc. Hell, I drove somebody else's car for 20 years before I bought my own car, and I drove a LOT of different cars, had a TON of fun, and met a lot of different people that I still work with or are good friends with. Believe me, other people's cars are much easier than all the prep and transport and PITA of having your own car. Then again, there are teams that will handle all that for you, but it's expensive and it's just a good idea to learn the ropes a bit before you hang yourself. Whatever you do, do it to have fun...you're spending WAAAAAAAY too much money not to.

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith
Old 07-19-2012
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

Alan
I welcome you to This Forum. These guys know from what they talk.

I started with Skip Barber 17 years ago when I turned 40. My inlaws, and wife, and I, kicked in the $ for a 3 day class. they thought it would satisfy the desire to race. Ha! were they wrong! I was hooked, and have never looked back. But I didn't jump into the deep end too quickly. I went to 3 advanced 2 day classes and a number of lapping sessions to learn how to race.

I was never sure I was good enough to race. I could always find fault with my driving and didn't want to endanger anyone else on the track. It took a BIG Push by Todd Snyder to get me into a race weekend. And THAT was a HUGE learning experience! After each session the instructors give you feedback from every corner. And believe me, they know what they are talking about!
They don't try to push you too far and they don't yell when you screw up. They nicely remind you that something went Boooooiiiinnnnnnggggggg inside your head and you lost control of you mind ..... and car.

I was never the fastest guy on the track.......... or the slowest. But I learned the CRAFT of Driving a Race car. The instruction We received at Skip taught me the Mechanics of racing. I learned to put the EMOTION on hold during a race and concentrate on the mechanics of driving. And Guess what? I got faster.

So.... After 16 years of Skip instruction. I bought a race car. And It is a BLAST! The drivers in SCCA are kidding themselves when they think that you can teach yourself to drive a race car. The SCCA 3 day course will never give you the DRIVING skill to really race a car. They spend their time on Rules and Regs. At Skip, you will spend your time in a race car learning the CRAFT of Driving.

Have fun.... and you know you will. Learn the CRAFT! SLOW DOWN! A race car is for sale every day. When you are really ready; there will be a race car for sale that you will want to own.

Welcome to the world of auto racing....... Legal Drug infusion in every outing!

George
Old 07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
Alan
I welcome you to This Forum. These guys know from what they talk.

I started with Skip Barber 17 years ago when I turned 40. My inlaws, and wife, and I, kicked in the $ for a 3 day class. they thought it would satisfy the desire to race. Ha! were they wrong! I was hooked, and have never looked back. But I didn't jump into the deep end too quickly. I went to 3 advanced 2 day classes and a number of lapping sessions to learn how to race.

I was never sure I was good enough to race. I could always find fault with my driving and didn't want to endanger anyone else on the track. It took a BIG Push by Todd Snyder to get me into a race weekend. And THAT was a HUGE learning experience! After each session the instructors give you feedback from every corner. And believe me, they know what they are talking about!
They don't try to push you too far and they don't yell when you screw up. They nicely remind you that something went Boooooiiiinnnnnnggggggg inside your head and you lost control of you mind ..... and car.

I was never the fastest guy on the track.......... or the slowest. But I learned the CRAFT of Driving a Race car. The instruction We received at Skip taught me the Mechanics of racing. I learned to put the EMOTION on hold during a race and concentrate on the mechanics of driving. And Guess what? I got faster.

So.... After 16 years of Skip instruction. I bought a race car. And It is a BLAST! The drivers in SCCA are kidding themselves when they think that you can teach yourself to drive a race car. The SCCA 3 day course will never give you the DRIVING skill to really race a car. They spend their time on Rules and Regs. At Skip, you will spend your time in a race car learning the CRAFT of Driving.

Have fun.... and you know you will. Learn the CRAFT! SLOW DOWN! A race car is for sale every day. When you are really ready; there will be a race car for sale that you will want to own.

Welcome to the world of auto racing....... Legal Drug infusion in every outing!
George, thanks for the welcome.

And while I'm going to pursue additional instruction before I actually enter a race, I'm still very likely to buy this particular race car.

Yes: race cars are for sale every day, but sometimes the circumstances conspire to let you get one for an insanely good price. We're talking about a 1989 Formula Ford (with revisions to 1990 spec for some of the suspension) with spares (even a spare engine) and a trailer...

...for $10,500.

And I've done my research. The trailer alone is at least worth $3,000. That means I'm getting a modern F1600 in good repair for perhaps $6,000. Deals that good do NOT show up every day.

But before the car goes on the track, there's a whole fall, winter and spring of work to be done, and by the time that's over, there will be at least one more learning even under my belt. perhaps there will be more after that; I don't know yet.

So I'm grabbing a good deal when I see it: I'm not grabbing it and taking it to the track next week.

Old 07-20-2012
Grand Master

That's a price point we can all appreciate. Sounds like a great place to start.

The value of Skip Barber training and racing will be self evident as you move forward.

Please keep us updated on your progress. We'd love to see pictures of your Van Diemen RF89 whenever you have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
George, thanks for the welcome.

And while I'm going to pursue additional instruction before I actually enter a race, I'm still very likely to buy this particular race car.

Yes: race cars are for sale every day, but sometimes the circumstances conspire to let you get one for an insanely good price. We're talking about a 1989 Formula Ford (with revisions to 1990 spec for some of the suspension) with spares (even a spare engine) and a trailer...

...for $10,500.

And I've done my research. The trailer alone is at least worth $3,000. That means I'm getting a modern F1600 in good repair for perhaps $6,000. Deals that good do NOT show up every day.

But before the car goes on the track, there's a whole fall, winter and spring of work to be done, and by the time that's over, there will be at least one more learning even under my belt. perhaps there will be more after that; I don't know yet.

So I'm grabbing a good deal when I see it: I'm not grabbing it and taking it to the track next week.

Old 07-20-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Very cool. Somebody who figured out early (in his racing career) that it's important to invest in the driver!! After you get the car you'll have the same amount invested in both car and driver. Pretty good ratio...but it'll get worse!!
Poke around at some vintage racegroups too. Not as competitve as SCCA and the range of driver talent is broad, but you don't often have some teenager driving daddy's money divebombing you into turn one. It opens up a lot more racing track time too.
Welcome to the dark side. Dalyduo speaks the truth about late arrivals. I know. I used to drive him to preschool.
BTW. What's so wrong about next week????
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 07-30-2012

Well, the deal is all but done!

I've told the owner I'll buy his car, I've made arrangements for a place to stay...

...and I may be changing my fall booking at Skip Barber to take a second three day course and get another crack at qualifying for their IndyCar Academy shootout.

The adventure is close to beginning!
Old 07-30-2012
Grand Master

Congrats Alan,

You've taken on a good race car and driving program.

Again, keep us posted and show us pictures when you can.

Quote:

I've told the owner I'll buy his car, I've made arrangements for a place to stay...

...and I may be changing my fall booking at Skip Barber to take a second three day course and get another crack at qualifying for their IndyCar Academy shootout.

Old 08-01-2012
Skippy Instructor

Welcome Alan (w/ both feet),
Tremendous amount of free advice on this site from many that share your passion. None of them want anything other than for you to have a great experience and contribute positively to the racing world! READ ALL THE ABOVE POSTS AGAIN. Each comment has about $5-10k worth of advice in it.

The Van Demien is a great car and YES explore vintage events as additional source (to SCCA) of track time & new contacts.

SBRS is great place to learn the skill and get a good appreciation of racing with limited liability. Many drivers successfully find a balance between driver training at SBRS (or other) and becoming confident in their own racecar. I see this often w/ formula cars, sportscars, vintage cars, front drive, etc...

Many people have racecars sitting in a garage and the most common reason they don't drive them is the unexpected cost of maintaining them. The purchase price is always easy compared to the running costs (combined with the time to support it and 100% liability). Mere mortals are unable to comprehend what it actually costs and therefore no one mentions it! But if you are racing for more than 3 years you KNOW. Talk to those guys. Plan a budget accordingly and enjoy living the dream!

Developing solid fundamentals as a driver continues to be the best value in racing. Choose wisely!

Welcome aboard,
JP
Old 08-20-2012

The deal is done!

One RF89 Van Diemen is now sitting in Delta/Ladner BC in my shared workshop!

Pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23487697@N07/
Old 08-20-2012
Skippy Instructor

Oh Happy Day!!! Have fun...Love the E type coupe in the background...
Jim
Old 08-20-2012
Grand Master

I second Jim... Including the Jag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pace View Post
Jim
Old 08-20-2012

Western Re: Jumping in with both feet.

Congratulations !!!1
Old 08-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pace View Post
Jim
And his other car is a late 70s (if I recall correctly) 911.

I guess the FF just had to go. Lucky me!
Old 08-24-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Quote:

If you're hell bent on the shootout, stick with the 3-day, but my 2-day was awesome. There was almost no time wasted and plenty of driving and 1 on 1 attention from the instructors. If I could afford to race anything else, I would probably try to find a way to do another 2-day every other year (or every year).

(or, maybe I'm just trying to weed out another Academy candidate to improve my own chances... )
Old 08-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr427 View Post
If you're hell bent on the shootout, stick with the 3-day, but my 2-day was awesome. There was almost no time wasted and plenty of driving and 1 on 1 attention from the instructors. If I could afford to race anything else, I would probably try to find a way to do another 2-day every other year (or every year).

(or, maybe I'm just trying to weed out another Academy candidate to improve my own chances... )
Not to worry.

I actually decided to do both. A two-day... ...and then another three-day. I'd really like a crack at the shootout.

Old 09-06-2012

I just realized that I never posted my videos from my course:

And then I got a session with my own GoPro (I've also finally trimmed it so there's no longer 9 minutes of me sitting in the car waiting, but the edit might take a while to go live. If so, jump into the video about 9.5 minutes):

What do you think?

Bookmark This Thread