Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 10-02-2007
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Arai Helmet Fitting

Hey Everyone,
As some of you have read, I have been diagnosed with a severe case of speeditis. Mine is actually an advanced form of it called 'Exit Speeditis'. Sorry, bad joke. Anyway, I'm looking at getting an Arai helmet and was wondering about sizing. I have a 7 3/8 hat size. I'm probably going to just get fitted for one, but I'd like to know in advance about how the sizes fit. Thanks guys, see you at the track.

-KS
Old 10-03-2007
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Arai Helmet Fitting

Call the guys at Speedware.com and talk with them about it. They're a huge supplier, most of them are racers, and they deal with figuring out the correct size every day. And they're nice people too!
Old 10-03-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Call the guys at Speedware.com and talk with them about it. They're a huge supplier, most of them are racers, and they deal with figuring out the correct size every day. And they're nice people too!
Good advice. I wear a 7 3/8 Bell. I stopped by Northstar on the way to RA and tried on an Arai-- seemed like the Medium fit me well.
Old 10-03-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

It also depends on the shape of your head. That is why you can't just buy a helmet based on size alone. Try different brands. Speedware is great for this.

Don't forget to include the balaclava when you try on helmets. Like trying on shoes with bare feet. Gotta leave room for the sock! It can also make up the difference if you are in between sizes.
Old 10-03-2007
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey

Don't forget to include the balaclava when you try on helmets. Like trying on shoes with bare feet. Gotta leave room for the sock! It can also make up the difference if you are in between sizes.
Kasey, what type of balaclava are you wearing? my helmet fits my head fine with or without a balaclava.
Old 10-03-2007

Gallery Images: 1

Its a standard Sparco. Its much thicker than the disposable ones you get from Skippy during the schools.

The comment is really for the guy who has never worn a helmet for any duration and will try to follow the rule "...as tight as you can stand without getting a head ache." If he fits it to this guideline without the sock, then it could make a difference in comfort.

Could be just me however. I am pretty sensitive. All the guys in the paddock will tell you that!
Old 10-03-2007
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

Aww, should I call the Wambulance! j/k

i have the normal sparco soft touch sock, but you are right. he should try it on as he would wear it normally. i love my arai. also, he the helmet fits but is just a little off, he can get different sized cheekpads but arai doesn't like to advertise that as they take us for idiots who can't reinstall the cheekpads properly. the larger cheekpad made a big difference on my xl gp5.
Old 10-04-2007
Grand Master

I'll ditto that... After two tries and no proper fit Speedware had Arai monkey with the cheek pad sizes and voila... a perfect fit. It wasn't until I started suggesting another brand helmet might be better suited that they revealed the cheek pad option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
Aww, should I call the Wambulance! j/k
i have the normal sparco soft touch sock, but you are right. he should try it on as he would wear it normally. i love my arai. also, he the helmet fits but is just a little off, he can get different sized cheekpads but arai doesn't like to advertise that as they take us for idiots who can't reinstall the cheekpads properly. the larger cheekpad made a big difference on my xl gp5.
Old 10-07-2007
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
I'll ditto that... After two tries and no proper fit Speedware had Arai monkey with the cheek pad sizes and voila... a perfect fit. It wasn't until I started suggesting another brand helmet might be better suited that they revealed the cheek pad option.
must be because you are smiling so much when racing....

Last edited by cdh; 10-07-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2007
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
must be because you are smiling so much when racing....
Old 10-10-2007

Quote:
Does anyone have a link for speedware.com, google shows a software site nothing on racing gear.
Old 10-10-2007

I found it
Old 10-10-2007
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
Does anyone have a link for speedware.com, google shows a software site nothing on racing gear.
Don, for future reference, check out the TJR STUFF / LINKS section (link in top nav bar, all pages) for suppliers.
Scroll down to Racing & Automobile Website Directory....

BTW, suggestions welcome for additional links - any relevant racing / automotive sites,
please let us know and we'll add them, thanks.

Bookmark This Thread