Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 08-26-2005
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815
Edwards and Bonilla describe new Renault ToughBox

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 26, 2005

EDWARDS AND BONILLA DESCRIBE NEW RENAULT TOUGHBOX

Orlando FL - Two race drivers have introduced a new concept in sequential gearbox design for open wheel race cars.

John Edwards, of Red Bull acclaim and currently racing Formula Renault in Eurocup and other series, and Gerardo Bonilla, racer in the most irrational of North American open wheel series, the Skip Barber National Championship presented by RACER, have allowed us a glimpse at their early brainstorming session that led to the introduction of the still-under-development Renault ToughBox. Here is their transcript:

John: i do get to go straightline test my new gearbox later this week...
Gerardo: lol
Gerardo: life's rough
John: haha
Gerardo: like the guys who do straightline test of the F1 cars, that has to be torture.
John: at least they've got a few more g's under acceleration, but then again that's still much worse than driving a lap
John: i can imagine....oh come on mr. todt, just one lap!!!!
Gerardo: All that prep, getting fitted, getting suited, just to go BAAAAAAAAA-BAAAAAAAAAA-BAAAAAAAAAAA-BAAAAAAAAAA-BAAAAAAAAAA-brm-brm-brm-brm......rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sssshhhhhhhhh"Yes sir, again? Okay, 10-4"
Gerardo: PLEASE just one lap!
John: well, mabye i can give you one lap in our 2003 spec....
Gerardo: okay!
Gerardo: :-D
John: yea, but i won't even have a chance to do any sort of laps because i'm testing at an old runway
John: because that doesn't go against the testing ban i suppose...
Gerardo: Much cheaper to rent than a track. I think the F1 teams do the same thing, use a runway.
Gerardo: ah
[COLOR=Blue]Gerardo: and, might be cheaper than renting a wind tunnel.
John: yea, except ferrari own their own track, so...
John: yea, but i'm testing a gearbox anyway...pretty tough to do in a wind tunnel
Gerardo: righto
Gerardo: They should put a 3-day student in it, that would test it.
John: well, then we would need another gearbox, and would have to test that one...
John: and would never end up with a working one..
Gerardo: yeah, but imagine the R&D you'd get! Oh well..
John: although its pretty tough to screw these up except on the downshifts w/ no-lift shifting
John: built renault tough would be the new renault transmission slogan...
Gerardo: "Built Renault Tough!"
Gerardo: For all your late braking and punting needs, the Renault ToughBox, guarranteed to go in gear no matter how terrible your blips.
John: The sky's the limit on your revs! Whether you want 10,000 revs on the downshift or none at all, we've got what your looking for!
John: That's the Renault ToughBox, enduring all types of 3 day students!
Gerardo: And if you don't want to get caught by your engineer, we've got MemClear, a secret button installed on the back of your steering wheel for when you reeeeally screw up and downshift early. Not guarranteed for overrevs above 19,000 rpm.
John: (F1 version not guarannteed above 25,000 rpm, batteries not included)

###

This spoof press release has no factual data other than the fact that the traded conversation is real. If there are any similarities to actual products or brands, they are merely coincidental.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 08-30-2006
Lost In Asia
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 23
Re: Edwards and Bonilla describe new Renault ToughBox

Hey guys, this is Vinay. I've been racing some Fomula Renault in Asia, and working for the worlds largest Formula Renault team as a test driver/instructor, race engineer, team manager.

Some of our cars are from when they first started using this car, year 2000. The ONLY time I've seen one of these gear boxes destroyed was when a mechanic forgot the oil. Even then, only the bearings were damaged, and the gears just had darker color!

Last year's German Champion is racing with us this year, and he right foot brakes, but NEVER uses the clutch or BLIPS on the down shifts!! No clutch, no blip. . . no problem!

Have a happy. . .
Vinay
Old 08-30-2006
Almost a master
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Yes, the gearbox in the renault is extremely hard to break. Normally if it breaks it would be from a long time of abuse, not from only one or two downshifts. I heard Saarinen was driving with you guys...is he doing well? He had a very good year in 2005. He wasn't always the fastest, but was by far the most consistent top-runner. He also worked as a mechanic with the team during Eurocup weekends to pay for his driving in the German championship. Hard job to work for your teammates then go beat them at the next race.

Is Jim Ka To still driving Asian Renault?

(Oh, by the way, if this turns into a serious discussion thread, I hope everyone knows the "Renault Tough Box" discussion was a joke that Gerardo and I put in this forum about a year ago, only as a joke.)
Old 08-30-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Whoa... An old French gearbox even a German can't break... That loud noise your hearing may be hell freezing over
Old 08-30-2006
Lost In Asia
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 23

Saarinen is racing with us and leading one championship, and 2nd in the other. He uses a strange driving style, but he can make the Renault fast that way.

It is always a bit strange when you are racing against your own students. You have to beat them on the track, then debrief them after on how to go even faster! It works though, as I want to beat people when they are driving at thier best. I figure, if I am a really good driver, I should be able to teach people how to drive better, and still beat them.

Jim Kato is still racing Renault here also. In fact, he just won two races last weekend against Saarinen.

Have a happy. . .
Vinay

Bookmark This Thread