Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 04-14-2015
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

First Skippy Race in May

Greetings All,
I'm finally taking the plunge and doing the MX5 race weekend in May at LRP. My background is with SCCA showroom stock and IT mostly. I grew up in NY and did my first skippy school back in 91 at Bridgehampton. Since then I have stayed active (to varying degrees) with SCCA club racing, karting, Skippy Lapping and a lot of track time through work. I was an engineer/test driver for Honda for about 15 years and have gone out on my own as a contract test driver. I specialize mostly in tire testing but I have worked on several companies driver training programs and had the pleasure to do some work with Todd Snyder (one of my first instructors) at the Mid Ohio School. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and having some fun at one of my favorite tracks.

Any hints or tips on what to expect for the race weekend? I have some seat time in the formula cars but not in the miata. I may also do the Formula race at Mid O in sept.

See you all on the track

Kenneth Martin
Old 04-15-2015
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: First Skippy Race in May

Welcome Kenneth,

As you know, seat time is key, so any MX-5 lapping you can do before practice and the races will only help your comfort level and results on track.

Your knowledge of cars and seat time as a tester will only be to your benefit. Todd ran the SBRS race series for years so you've already had good instruction. :-)

The fastest way to get up to speed in the Skippy MX-5's would be to do a lead follow on one of the lapping or practice days. It sounds like you're already comfortable in a race car so chasing someone around who sets up and drives these cars regularly will likely shorten the learning curve as well.

If you've got a helmet, shoes, gloves and driving suit you'll be good to go. Ear plugs are good to have as well.

Good luck! And if you have any other questions let us know. :-)

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin1971 View Post
Greetings All,
I'm finally taking the plunge and doing the MX5 race weekend in May at LRP. My background is with SCCA showroom stock and IT mostly. I grew up in NY and did my first skippy school back in 91 at Bridgehampton. Since then I have stayed active (to varying degrees) with SCCA club racing, karting, Skippy Lapping and a lot of track time through work. I was an engineer/test driver for Honda for about 15 years and have gone out on my own as a contract test driver. I specialize mostly in tire testing but I have worked on several companies driver training programs and had the pleasure to do some work with Todd Snyder (one of my first instructors) at the Mid Ohio School. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and having some fun at one of my favorite tracks.

Any hints or tips on what to expect for the race weekend? I have some seat time in the formula cars but not in the miata. I may also do the Formula race at Mid O in sept.

See you all on the track

Kenneth Martin

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-15-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2015

Thanks for the info Pat! Lead follow sounds like a good idea. I can add it to the lapping or practice day. I was hoping they were going to bring the Meotters out to Mid Ohio this year and do that race too but I may just do the formula race instead. Too close to home to miss. Do they usually run the traditional layout of LRP for the race weekends or will they add in the newish chicane?

Looking forward to going wheel to wheel again.

Regards
Ken
Old 04-15-2015
Grand Master

They used to change up the track configurations at Lime Rock because we'd be there at least twice a season but we're only there once this year and most prefer Classic Lime Rock with the normal fast uphill. I'd expect that will be the configuration this summer. The alternate uphill is tougher on brakes and transmissions so both drivers and SBRS prefer the original configuration.

Lead follow will give you confidence and more of the nuance of those cars at Lime Rock. You can also reduce your cost by converting a lapping session to a lead follow. Because Lime Rock is short there are lots of laps per session.

Quote:
Thanks for the info Pat! Lead follow sounds like a good idea. I can add it to the lapping or practice day. I was hoping they were going to bring the Meotters out to Mid Ohio this year and do that race too but I may just do the formula race instead. Too close to home to miss. Do they usually run the traditional layout of LRP for the race weekends or will they add in the newish chicane?

Looking forward to going wheel to wheel again.

Regards
Ken
Old 04-15-2015

I'm hoping for the traditionally layout. I have driven the old chicane but none of the new stuff. Doesn't look all that great either. I'm old enough to say I'm old school and there is only one layout for LRP.
Old 04-15-2015
Grand Master

I'd be surprised if we didn't drive the classic layout. the alternate uphill isn't terrible as it creates an additional passing zone, but you really have to park it at the bottom of the hill and wind back up through the gears to West Bend and it's a lot more fun catching a little air and spinning the back tires over the crest of the uphill. :-)

Quote:
I'm hoping for the traditionally layout. I have driven the old chicane but none of the new stuff. Doesn't look all that great either. I'm old enough to say I'm old school and there is only one layout for LRP.
Old 04-16-2015

Arm restraints req'd?
Old 04-16-2015
Grand Master

They are not required but recommended. I tend to be among the few wearing them but I've been upside down 3 times and was twice very glad I had them on. Once strapped in I never think about or feel them again. They've never hindered my driving or caused a problem ever.

Quote:
Arm restraints req'd?
Old 06-07-2015

Just finished up my first Skippy MX-5 race weekend. It was a great couple of days! It was nice to be back at LRP. Thanks to everyone there for making it a fun weekend. Skippy staff great as usual, cars are a little clapped out but I never had any mechanical issues. All the competitors were very welcoming and friendly. Competition was great on track, no jackass moves. Now if they would just bring the MX-5s to Mid O!

Thanks again to everyone for welcoming me into the fold!

Ken Martin
Old 06-07-2015
Grand Master

It was a great weekend and glad to have you aboard! Sounds like you had a great time. :-)

Let us know when you do more.

Quote:
Just finished up my first Skippy MX-5 race weekend. It was a great couple of days! It was nice to be back at LRP. Thanks to everyone there for making it a fun weekend. Skippy staff great as usual, cars are a little clapped out but I never had any mechanical issues. All the competitors were very welcoming and friendly. Competition was great on track, no jackass moves. Now if they would just bring the MX-5s to Mid O!

Thanks again to everyone for welcoming me into the fold!

Ken Martin

Bookmark This Thread