Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 08-18-2005
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Question covert lap timing?

How have you managed to capture and record lap times during lapping days when Skippy isn't doing the timing for you? Partner up with another driver in a different group or are you guys strapping stopwatches into the car and doing it yourself?

I have a digital stopwatch (not a wristwatch) that will record and recall up to 9 lap times and splits. Seems like I could just hit the button at the start finish each lap and have a rough record of improvement during the two lapping day sessions. Where do I secure the watch? Velcro sticky near the steering wheel?

Is this a dumb idea? Seems to me that without lap times as feedback, there is little to go on other than performance relative to run group traffic as to whether or not you are fast. How do you guys know how and where to improve lap times?
Old 08-18-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: covert lap timing?

It's not a dumb idea and it doesn't have to be covert. However, it's a low percentage choice for your first race weekend as you'll be plenty busy just doing the basics of staying relaxed and driving the car well. You probably don't need to focus on lap times just yet. (Unless you've been highly competitive in karting or other racing already)

Check out these threads http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ighlight=timer & http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ighlight=timer for info on two different brands that are commonly used.

I use the Ultra-Lap timer and many also use the AIM timer. They both use the same frequency for their start/finish line beacon. (Don't know compatability of their split beacons)

You tape the timer screen to the RT windscreen and tape the small receiver on top of the car bodywork facing the side of the track with your beacon. Place your beacon on the pit wall or a tripod and point it across the track. The timer reads the beacon and reports accurate times to hundredths of a second. With multiple beacons splits can be recorded but I've not seen any situations where skippy racers have actually used them. (Though we have bantered it about in the threads)

Because we share and frequently change cars, putting a timer on and off is an added nuisance that is probably more trouble than its worth to a first time racer. If you are a return visitor to a track it can be helpful in knowing where you are in relation to your last visit. It can also be useful during qualifying to let you know if you've reach your target time or not but again, I wouldn't even think about that if you are racing for the first time.

Look or ask around at the track and I'm sure someone will show you their's and demonstrate it if they aren't busy.

In the first few lapping sessions that I carried a timer I taped over the screen so I couldn't see the times until I was out of the car. It's nice to have the times after the session but I still rarely look at it while driving because I find processing the information, in most circumstances, to be an unwanted disttraction.

I recall an instructor saying that they actively discouraged new racers from using lap timers (viewable in the car) because, in their experience, it only led to trying too hard and crashing.
Old 08-18-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Crashing is good! It builds character!

Lap timers are good. How else do you determine performance?

If you are easily distracted, or so new you can't look at the timer while driving, then it is too soon to have one.

I like to look at mine at various parts of the track to gauge segment times.

If you don't have a timer... the watch option works. That is what many testers use. They strap it to their wrist or steering wheel.

Good luck. Go fast!

Oh, and by the way... if you pass everybody else, it doesn't matter what the lap times are!
Old 08-19-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Thrillionairre:

Says crashing is good and builds character, but forgot to remind you to send medical and crash damage bills directly to him after following that sage advice.

Feels that lap timers are good and the only way to measure performance.
JuicySue agrees confirming that Thrillionairre's times remain consistantly under a minute!

Suggests that you pull your hand off the wheel at speed to check segment times on your wristwatch or strap it to the steering wheel for easy reading, but forgot to remind you to put that steaming cafe mocha grande back in the cup holder, flick your Chesterfield into the bean bag ash tray, slide that high performance driving video into the on board dvd player and give that bobble head puppy dog strapped to the rollbar a tap to distract all those A.D.D. drivers behind you.

(Just funnin' ya' Michael. Give 'em hell at the "Ring"!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
Crashing is good! It builds character!

Lap timers are good. How else do you determine performance?

If you are easily distracted, or so new you can't look at the timer while driving, then it is too soon to have one.

I like to look at mine at various parts of the track to gauge segment times.

If you don't have a timer... the watch option works. That is what many testers use. They strap it to their wrist or steering wheel.

Good luck. Go fast!

Oh, and by the way... if you pass everybody else, it doesn't matter what the lap times are!
Old 08-19-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Yes, she is usually done in under a minute... then two or three times later, it is my turn!

Bookmark This Thread