Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 07-23-2006
OTB
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 19
A new car "problem"

I need help. Yes, beyond the usual type of clinical help provided by Dr. Greist.

I'm in the process of relocating my home; however, I'm planning on commuting to work. The commute involves a roughly 70-90 mile drive each way, mostly highway, but the part near home involves backroads and fun twisty sections. Those of you who know Philly will recognize my unfortunate need to travel the Schuylkill Expressway daily. Local conditions call for a vehicle that can handle that run, and a Mid-Atlantic climate: occasional rain and a crappy snowy winter, at times.
I currently have the good fortune to drive two different exceptional vehicles: a Bentley Conty GT, and a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I love everything about the GT, but it's a gas hog - probably less than 15mpg highway. The Porsche is also a gas hog (similar mileage), and is currently being Lemon-Law'd for an un-fixable electrical gremlin.

Here's the job: What's the perfect vehicle (car or truck) for the new commute, given the stated need to consider gas mileage and performance/style at the same time?

Assume the following:

1. For purposes of discussion, assume (rather incorrectly) that price doesn't matter.
2. I'm interested in performance and comfort, but don't want to gas up twice a day.
3. I don't care much for Mercedes, but am willing to consider that marque.
4. I think Chris Bangle is the anti-Christ.
5. I'm willing to get a beater truck just for the snow days; however, that doen't help with the primary problem of gas mileage and performance on the other 340 days of the year.

I know, I know, a fun problem to have.
Old 07-23-2006
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Re: A new car "problem"

A used 2002 C4S. Beautiful car. Four wheel drive (get second set of winter rims and tires). And 30 miles per gallon on the highway (16 mpg on the twisty parts).
Old 07-23-2006

I think the C4S is a great suggestion. If you want 4 doors, you could look at the Audi A4 and A6. Both with AWD give you all weather performance.
Old 07-23-2006
Big Dick

http://www.smartusa.com/
Old 07-23-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Here's the perfect car. Sure, there are some small compromises, but you get great looks, performance and fuel mileage to boot.

Otherwise, I third the C4S idea.
Old 07-23-2006
Hey ya'll, watch this

Gallery Images: 6

Check out the new Audi RS4. 420HP, AWD... 20mpg/hwy?

OK, that doesn't solve your gas guzzling problem, but it's a thought.

My M3 gets over 400 miles per tank (16 gals, I think) if I drive it like a sane person. 330+hp, great looks and handling (especially when you run R compound tires on the street... ) , the last of the good looking M3s...
"I'm not a fearful person. There's no feeling in the world that I've had that's like it. You're driving something that's out of control but you're controlling it. What else should I do? Plant flowers in the backyard? Go to a barbecue? I'll do that, but this rocks my world. When you get out of a race car, the grass is a little greener and the sky is a little bluer."
Old 07-23-2006

Gallery Images: 8

Jlowe...you know the answer already...There is no perfect car for all your needs. The C4S is wonderful until you get a Noreaster. My vote would be to make sure you have two vehicles for your use. The C4s would handle most of the travel conditions but you would need something to handle the harshest of winter. I know you need to get back and forth to the hospital even if the weather is major.

Something with a higher ground clearance for those real bad days. You might have to give up some sportiness for practicality and comfort though. I know you are partial to European vehicles but why not consider aomething form the far east as a reliable backup?

Acura is ready to come out with the re-designed MDXwithin a month or so...Lexus SUV's are truly reliable and unspupassed for comfort.

I sympathize with you on the Cayenne. I have an S and love the ride with the exception of the occasional idiot light or recall. Then again, why not try another Cayenne, 'S" version this time for the better gas mileage? If it gives you problems again you can always turn it back.
Old 07-23-2006
Big Dick

Old 07-24-2006
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Jim,

Lexus has a hybrid SUV. I also like the Audi and Acura suggestions. Go test drive them!

By the way, if cost is no object, theoretically, why is gas an issue? Feeling environmental perhaps? Sorry! I couldn't help myself! How did no one else razz you about this yet?!

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 07-24-2006
OTB

Well, thanks for the (mostly) helpful thoughts on the what-to-buy-next dilemma.
My further thoughts, after reading the responses:

1. I like the Audi RS vs. Porsche C4 ideas; there's a good comparo article in the most recent R&T, coincidentally. Problem is, both are standard trannys, and those of you who have seen me drive already realize that I won't be able to talk on the phone, drink coffe, drive and shift at the same time. An automatic is probably the way to go, regrettably (or steptronic, or other such poor compromise).

2. No, I'm not a tree-hugger. However, I don't want to fill up every time I cross the Jersey State line, and the wife wants to know why I'm not feeling guilty about my 6L, 12 cylinder, twin turbo's 10 mpg. Actually, I figure if I play this right, I've got a good excuse to get another car.

3. I have nothing against the Acura/Lexus lines, but they just feel too tame to me. Yes, Chris is right, there's really nothing so far that fits the bill, until Audi puts out a V10 diesel truck with a sub-5 second 0-60 and all-wheel drive.

4. Dick has way, way too much time on his hands.

5. I might get an Ariel Atom, but I'll bet it oversteers like hell in the slush.

6. Does anyone know anything about the newest Audi SUV?
Old 07-24-2006
Big Dick

I think this is it.

Old 07-24-2006

I have seen the new Audi SUV and from what I have read/ heard it is somewhat of a yawner. Audi still has issues with reliability, dealer network and just plain not figuring out the SUV thing.

But wait, I have another AWD idea that is an awesome compromise and will give you some grunt and handling. Go test the Infinti M35X AWD. It is not quite the M45, but does give you the AWD and fun factor. You do not see many on the road either. WHen you stomp on it you get a decent rumble.

By the way Lexus has a new RS 350 that given some decent performance.

If you are trying to get away from the low gas mileage and lemon law issues you are going to need to consider something in this realm.
Old 07-24-2006

Dick, I agree with Jlowe. You have way too much time on your hands! Then again maybe you are just taking digi photos of some of your neighbors in Wichita!
Old 07-24-2006

Try a Dinan-ized BMW X5....

One of my partners has the Boston-version of your commute - he bought a Dinan-branded X5 from the dealer, full warranty, has 4WD, can take some beefy snow tires and sticky summer tires, has a great suspension set up (for a heavy "truck") and has plenty of power (supercharger). I think it's the target for the Audi SUV...but it IS pricey (but you can probably get an X5, a Mini S and a pimped-out Harley for the cost of a good 996 C4S)

He contends it's bulletproof and I've seen him get good mileage (auto gearbox, soft foot on the highway).

Then again, you might look like a soccer mom.

This is the same guy who has (had?) a Mini S that he tried to use for rally practice in the snow last year. Insurance deductible: $500. Cost to pay the town to replace the 100 year old tree he knocked over: $5,000.

Surprised no commentary about the Subie WRX STI - then again, that little hamster engine probably would blow up.

BTW my wife has a Volvo XC90 V8 - yes, I know, it's a Volvo (tank) but with the V8 it actually moves, and mileage isn't (that) bad.
Old 07-25-2006
Big Dick

It is an eclectic community. On the other hand, who intentionally moves 90 miles away from their job? This isn't about the kind of car to buy, it should be about the decision to move so far away that one needs to have this discussion. I vote for Dr. G. to weigh in on this.
Old 07-25-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

I was watching Speed Channel at 3 am the other day and saw a road test driven by Tommy Kendal and Danny Sullivan driving a new Lexus Hybrid. Car seemingly had lot's of power, great fuel mileage, auto (oh well), and Lexus comfort. I am not certain however if it offered a 4 WD option. Still looked like it could handle bad weather too Jim and be fun to drive
Old 07-25-2006
Running Amok.

Jim

I don't give a shit what you decide. But, it would be a real shame to sell the BCGT. That said, why store so many vehicles at one place? Since no one else has stepped up, I would sacrafice one bay of my garage to store it for you. Of course, I would only drive it enough to keep it in good working order. Something around 200 miles per week should do the trick.

Your pal, AMOK

p.s. I'm with Dick... do tell why you are moving so far away... sounds like madness.
Old 07-25-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

MASERATI QUATROPORTE
Old 07-25-2006
Big Dick

Old 07-25-2006
OTB

OK, here's the skinny on why I'm moving. You'll all be disappointed to know that it's not to be closer to a racetrack, on any such fun stuff like that. However, I will be down the street from the Ferrari dealer, and I am ever closer to retiring to being all full-time racer, the further I am from real work. But I digress.
We're planning the move to PA so my son can enroll in one of the local Prep schools, which we only just recently found out starts accepting students in pre-K (!) and not HS, as we first thought. Luckily, there's another good reason, financially: NJ state tax for us is 9.5% (yes, that's not a typo), vs. 3% in PA. Easy pay raise to drive an extra 45-60 minutes each way. We also get to keep a house here (in NJ) at the beach for fun, etc.
No brainer, as we say in the business.

BTW, love the Quattroporte idea - drove one about 2 years ago, and liked it. Anyone have experience with one; ?gas mileage and bad-weather characteristics? Hope it handles wet stuff better than my Coupe did - that was like ice skating in the rain.
Old 07-25-2006
OTB

By the way, Michael,
Who said anything about selling the Bentley?

Sorry to kill that buzz.
Old 07-26-2006
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

I have to put my two cents in here. As a Chrysler Dodge dealer my choice for all around, go any where, get out of my way, 20mpg, give me some respect ride; The Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 MegaCab with the 300hp Cummins Turbo Diesel. Did I mention 20 mpg?
Besides if traffic is to bad, you can just run it through the high country.
Old 07-26-2006
Running Amok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlowe
No brainer, as we say in the business.
Knowing your business... that is just sick, sick, sick!
Old 07-26-2006
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

Shameless self promotion
Old 07-26-2006
OTB

Well, it doesn't take a ...
Old 07-26-2006

Jlowe...We actually had a real one race with us at LRP last week! Works in the Pentagon has all kinds of clearance. He did his frist race with us last week, Real Nice fellow.

What this has to do with you new car decision beats the matter out me!

Off to the Northern climbs of Mt Tremblant!...
Old 07-26-2006

George, George, George...Must have been a light day at the dealership! Haven't I taught you anything yet?

Where have you been? MIssed you at the Glen this year.
Old 07-26-2006
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Audi. Nice to meet you.

Based on your criteria and since there's other stuff in your garage, buy an Audi. Any Audi. Or, you could buy an Audi. Did I mention Audi? Audis are nice also. Have a nice Audi.
Old 07-29-2006

2nd the Audi. Any RS or S model. I love my S6 Avant. V8 350 HP wagon. They don't make them anymore, however. I have a long line of buyers when I sell starting with Stevie-D.
Move to Florida . Zero tax, no snow tires and plenty of race tracks all year around. Just ignore the huricanes.
Old 08-04-2006
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlowe
6. Does anyone know anything about the newest Audi SUV?
Test drove the Q7 4.2 yesterday (comparing it to a used Cayenne Turbo, about the same price range). Has some nice features, nav system and fake BMW i-drive interface is cool, love the panaram sunroof thing, would never use the 3rd row seating. Even with the black interior, it still felt roomy inside (probably due to the glass roof). Performance wise, it barely has the pick-up as the base X5. There's just no "umph" in it and disappointing. Interior trim seems a little cheap, friend with me who's a diehard audi fan was a little disappointed too. Don Rosen has a loaded black/black trade-in w/400 miles on it available for test drives. We walked across the lot and when she saw the inside of the Cayenne she was sold.

Was at Holberts today and they had 5-6 on their lot if the DR one is gone. I spoke with AWE (premier local Audi tuner) about possible tuning and getting a little more HP out of it, they have had other inquiries but no plans on tuning it. Audi claims 350 but had to double check I wasn't driving the 3.6 it felt so underpowered. Handles like you'd expect an import SUV to...more roll than X5 & Cayenne, not as much as a Suburban. There will be a "S-Line" available at a later date, but will be a suspension upgrade only.

Assuming parking space won't be an issue at the new digs, get something ok on gas that's fun to drive then a basic Jeep/4x4 for the bad weather days. Remember we've been having just as much flooding lately as we've had snow in this area, so if you need to be available 365, keep ground clearance in mind.

Oh yea, motorcycles get excellent gas mileage

-Ron
Old 08-04-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Just a bit of feedback from the Audi world. I currently own a V-8 version of the A6 AllRoad. It is a great car as "My Other Car". Hauls a lot, sounds incredible, is very upscale, has been very reliable and increases its ride height significantly with the push of a button. The down side is it doesn't get very good mileage and is quite heavy so ya gotta have a sports car of some sort in the garage. An option would be an S6 Avant if you can find a used one. Probably a bit lighter. I haven't driven one yet but I'm betting the Audi SUV is a bit of a dog. What ever you do stay away from any turbo version of these cars. They really haven't figured out the throttle and turbo mapping and I nearly killed myself in my first AllRoad when I tried to cross a busy street. It hesitated for about a second then all hell broke loose. The hesitation nearly led to the merging of myself and a large truck.
Old 08-04-2006
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

dealers are taking deposits on the new S6. No hard specs or price (due in the next few weeks). DR is getting 2, 1 is spoken for, estimated price was $75k. New engine management is supposed to be their best, and easily tunable/upgradeable, engine is the Gallardo V10 with 420 hp. Sept. delivery

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh.../0602_audi_s6/
Old 08-06-2006

Gallery Images: 482

Here's an alternate route -- get a Mini Cooper S (either coupe or convertible) with the 207hp John Cooper Works engine upgrade and a five-speed paddle-shift transmission -- then chuck the standard seats and fit a pair of Recaros. What you'll have is a fun-to-drive, 30-plus mpg, point-and-squirt commuter car for about 325 days of the year and on the 30 or so snow/sleet/monsoon days when you feel like front wheel drive won't cut it, you can use either the Cayenne or the Bentley with a clear conscience. Plus, parking is a snap.

I know a guy who has 11 cars in his garage (including a F430 Spyder and a Maranello, plus he has a 599 on order) -- only two of them seat more than two people and one of the two is a Mini Cooper S.

Also, you will find that Minis are chick magnets. This cannot be said of an S6 or a Q7.

Then in 2008 you can cruise around to your local Maserati dealer and get one of the first AWD Alfa Romeo Breras to come to the US (according to this month's Car & Driver).
Old 08-06-2006

Gallery Images: 122

My vote is for either a new Z06, everytime any automaker offers a 427 you should buy it, plus it has lots of cool carbon fiber parts. If a V8 isn't your thing then a Lotus Exige...it's like a real lotus but with cheaper bits!
Old 08-07-2006

Mercedes-Benz CLS 55 AMG
It is the fastest production sedan built. A real back seat, a real trunk and does everything else too.
I love the one I've got.
Drive one.
Old 08-07-2006

Gallery Images: 122

That is a great car. i sold one new to a friend of mine. it had a heavy sticker though. Supercharged V8? 500bhp and a backseat hard to lose with that pick

Bookmark This Thread