Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 09-06-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Mechanics Fund-ACT NOW

Now, let’s look at the Mid-Ohio week-end from the perspective of the cars and the mechanics.

Fortunately, the cars can’t talk or write. But, let me tell you, we beat the shit out of them relentlessly all week-end. You could not help feeling sorry for those cars. The pit lane was a sad sight late Sunday afternoon.

What about the mechanics perspective? They are a pretty quiet bunch of guys, always focused on getting the job done, on repairing one car after another, on keeping the show going, on helping us. But anyone can use their own imagination and fill in the blanks as to what was going through their minds especially when confronted with “Eh, Joe, can you take a look at 69, it does not handle well in turn 7?”

But, unlike the cars, the mechanics can go home and count all the money they made during the week-end.

Humm, how much did these guys actually rake in?

Well, let’s say that the mechanics fund is $50,000 for East/Midwest combined. This year, SBRS will sell about 430 race week-ends at $4,640 per week-end [includes practice]. That’s just under $2,000,000. So, the mechanics’ gratuity is a whopping 2.5%!

Now, let’s equate that to a theoretical Skippy customer going to a nice restaurant after a hard day at the track [while the mechanic is knee deep in car wreckage at the same track]. Our Skippy customer sits at the table at 8 pm, has some wine with a great dinner. By 10-11 pm, he is a bit inebriated, he jokes with the [smiling but really exasperated] waitress, he goes to the bathroom and pees on the floor, he gets the check for $100, stumbles off the table bringing down the flatware and glasses to a massive crash, puts $100 on the table and says to the waitress: “thanks for a great evening, here’s a couple bucks.”

Send your check to Sid and Martin TODAY!

P.S.
When you write that check, remember that you just spent $4,640 for the race week-end [excluding travel]. So, if you give $100, that puts you below the average donation of 2.5% or $116.

Last edited by Dom Bastien; 09-06-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Mechanics Fund-ACT NOW

I just realized that I overstated my case a bit by including a lapping day in the race week-end which only a portion of the drivers participate in. But the basic point remains.
Old 09-06-2006
Fund Raiser Racer
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Bastien
I just realized that I overstated my case a bit by including a lapping day in the race week-end which only a portion of the drivers participate in. But the basic point remains.
DOM they just dont get it.I wish i could make them all understand that 100$ a weekend just dont do it.Some guys give me 20$ and think they did there share.
It is just a few guys each year that support the fund.That is why i am not doing it anymore.

SHAME on all of you that do not see the hard work put into your car prior to each race day.

You can afford to crash them but not afford to contribute to the guys that fix them.

And to top it all off some jerk thinks that i do this and it is all about me.

I guess 25 years of my time is not enough for some.

And they want me fired. Good luck with that.

In past years the fund grew each year last years total 36520$

this year we are at 21440 with one race to go.

i missed my first race in 27 years this year mt tremblant
and no one did anything to fill in

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 09-06-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Dom, very well stated. And considering the cause, probably too understated still. I used to think that I was being generous with my donations, but in retrospect it was chump change compared to what the mechanics deserve. So don't be a cheap bastard like me - do the right thing and help out our boys.
Old 09-06-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Well put by all. I still think Sid should be fired though. If he were any good he would have beat last years's goal already!

Just kidding Sid. Most everyone understands where your heart is, but unfortunatley that doesn't make them open their wallet to those that are working their asses of for us all the time.
Old 09-07-2006
Martin Zimmerman
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Hi Guys & Gals;

My weekend at Mid-O was one of my worst. Crashed three times, two big hits.

I went up to Joe Gulish Saturday Afternoon to apologize for tearing up his cars. Joe's response to me; 'No Martin, are you OK, we can fix the cars.'

I then went to Garage 1 or 2, where they took my torn up cars to ask if they were doing OK. The "Big Fellow" (do not know his name) asked if my hands and arms were OK. "You bent the steering wheel into a pretzel!" "Are you sure you are OK?"

Your health is more important to them than the cars they work on.

Car 37 moved the pit wall(Big Concrete Blocks) a foot. Drove that car again on Saturday afternoon. Only to really tear it up in Saturdays Race.

Car 70 is the one I augered into Jeff's car on Friday afternoon. 15,000 dollars damage. That car was running on Saturday morning.

They left the track at 10:30pm both nights.

How late were you up.

Enuff said. Where is your donation?

Bookmark This Thread