Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 12-03-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 12
Decisions Decisions

I just called and took advantage of a 40% off the 3 day school offer that Skippy emailed to me last week. They added the $200 I was credited for completing a survey of my half day in Atlanta this past August for a total of 45% off. I can use it any time in the next 12 months. Now to decide which has track I want to run. I'm leaning toward Sebring right now. Robbi said Lime Rock dates will be added to the schedule mid January and Road America dates will be added for the summer. Can't wait to get back in the formula cars!
Old 12-03-2012
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Decisions Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd645e6 View Post
I just called and took advantage of a 40% off the 3 day school offer that Skippy emailed to me last week. They added the $200 I was credited for completing a survey of my half day in Atlanta this past August for a total of 45% off. I can use it any time in the next 12 months. Now to decide which has track I want to run. I'm leaning toward Sebring right now. Robbi said Lime Rock dates will be added to the schedule mid January and Road America dates will be added for the summer. Can't wait to get back in the formula cars!
smart move, outstanding deal
Old 12-03-2012
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Smart move and well done... Keep us posted!
Old 12-06-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I saw that deal. I may do it just for the seat time. 3 days at the track beats working...
Old 12-08-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

A couple more offers like that and they'll be paying YOU to drive.

Come to think of it, there are darn few pros who get THAT deal these days.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 12-08-2012

Booked Sebring yesterday for the February 18-20 3 day. A friend of mine decided to do it too. Can't wait! 72 days to go!
Old 01-24-2013

Does Skippy allow GoPro cameras to be mounted on the roll bar of the formula cars? I know that they have their own cameras mounted there sometimes and wasn't sure if I could bring mine. I emailed them today to ask but never received a reply. 24 days to Sebring 3 day!
Old 01-24-2013
Grand Master

I believe there is video done toward the end of your 3 day by Helix but you can absolutely mount a GoPro camera on the roll bar even if there is also a Helix camera. There's plenty of room to mount two cameras.

Good luck and enjoy!

Quote:
Does Skippy allow GoPro cameras to be mounted on the roll bar of the formula cars? I know that they have their own cameras mounted there sometimes and wasn't sure if I could bring mine. I emailed them today to ask but never received a reply. 24 days to Sebring 3 day!
Old 02-01-2013

What size OD tubing is the overhead roll bar on the formula cars? I need to be sure my camera mount isn't too large.also, does anyone know who the instructors will be at the Feb 18-20 Sebring 3 day?
Old 02-02-2013
Grand Master

Your customer rep can probably get that tubing size for you or put you in touch with someone who knows the exact dimension.

You could also try Helix In Car Camera as they put cameras on the cars at virtually every event.

http://www.helixus.com/www.helixus.com/Helix_LLC.html

It looks like Steve DeBrecht and Paul Brand will be working the open wheel 3-day so you'll be in very good experienced hands.
Don Kutchal and Bruce MacInnes will also likely be there for the MX-5 3-day as well.

Good Luck!

Quote:
What size OD tubing is the overhead roll bar on the formula cars? I need to be sure my camera mount isn't too large.also, does anyone know who the instructors will be at the Feb 18-20 Sebring 3 day?
Old 02-04-2013

Quote:
It's an odd size. I should be able to either look it up or just get the size of the clamp I used. May take a day or two.
Old 02-04-2013

Thanks Rosso. The roll bar GoPro mount fits from 1 3/8" up to 2 1/2". I figure that I am probably okay with that, but on the slim chance that it is smaller OD than 1 3/8", then I can pick up the bike mount before the class. Thanks again. Standing by sir.
Old 02-18-2013

Day one of Sebring 3 day in the books. Holy Shit! I'm sore! I'm very impressed with the individual attention and thorough instruction students receive. Ready for tomorrow!
Old 02-19-2013
Grand Master

Sounds like things are going as they should. Keep us posted... Thanks

Quote:
Day one of Sebring 3 day in the books. Holy Shit! I'm sore! I'm very impressed with the individual attention and thorough instruction students receive. Ready for tomorrow!
Old 02-19-2013

Quote:
Well I apologize that it took me so long to look this up, but I was searching for an email that I apparently received at an old work email address, and then I just forgot. Anyway, the clamp I use for the roll hoop is a Mikalor 40 -43 mm quick release hose clamp lined with 1/16" of rubber & cork tape. I wanted to say that the top bar was some odd size - 1-9/16" came to mind, so that plus 2 x 1/16" = 1-11/16", which is right about 43mm, so I'd say that would be correct.
Old 02-24-2013

The rollbar mount worked great Rosso. No worries on the late reply. The 3 day at Sebring was just amazing. It more than eceeded my expectations and the way that Skip Barber teaches and runs things is just the absolute best way it can be done. The improvement from the first stop box sessiions to the final two unlimited RPM lapping sessions was amazing. I'm hooked and even though I felt like someone beat me with a ball bat after three days, I'm ready for the two day advanced class later this year. I cannot say enough about my instructors. Peter Argetsinger and Bruce MacInnes have so much winning race experience and decades of knowledge to share. Doppler Dave and young Nick Andries are extremely knowledgable about racing and winning in the Skippy Formula Cars and did an excellent job as well. Big thanks to Steve Debrecht for running the entire show smoothly and without any significant incidents

I loved the Sebring Modified Circuit. Turns 2 and 3 were my favorite part of the track and I was best on the rythm section of turns 4 through 6 and off of 7. I started out as a dirty rotten sleazeball early apexer and I believe we damn near got that fixed by the end of the school. Four days later, I am still on cloud 9 and am so happy that I took the plunge. My goal is just to race a couple of times per year in the summer or winter series and hit the occasional lapping day at different tracks.

The Indycar series was running the test circuit all three days we were there and that was an added bonus to go watch the best in american open wheel series driving go at it after class was over each day. I'll get a couple pics uploaded later and some more once my photo package pics are available. Do any of you know if there could possibly be any more 2 Day Advanced dates added to the schedule later? As of right now I can do Lime Rock in July/September or Road Atlanta in November. I would also like thoughts on the Advanced Car Control class.
Old 02-24-2013
Grand Master

Sounds like you had the A-Team Michael and things went exactly as they should have gone.

Great report and keep us posted going forward.

No way to know if they'll add any more ADV 2-days.

I'd suggest sooner rather than later for your ADV 2-day. Lime Rock would be a good track to add to your data base.

Last edited by dalyduo; 02-24-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2013

Damn! The Road Atlanta Advanced 2 Day in November filled up fast! Okay, so I am ready to book my Advanced 2 Day Formula sometime in June. The two options I have because of work are Lime Rock in September or Laguna Seca in December. Road Atlanta was attractive because I drove the lead/follow Intro to Racing on it but I'm leaning towards Lime Rock heavily right meow. They are both historic tracks but Lime Rock is frickin LEGENDARY. What is the weather like in Connecticut in early September? Remember, I live in Arkansas. Ha! What say you fellow Skippy Forums members and racers?
Old 04-27-2013
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

It will be partly cloudy, winds from the northwest at 6 mph with gusts to 12 mph. Temps will range from a nighttime low of 67 to a high of 78 at 3 pm. Dew point 18. Humidity 64. Except in Lakeville, CT, where it changes every 10 minutes. And don't forget. It's hurricane season.
Well?? I have as much chance of being right as any highly-paid meteorologist.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 04-28-2013
Grand Master

I'd choose Lime Rock because it's sooner and for the legendary reasons already mentioned. The shorter the distance between driving sessions the better.

I've experienced hot summer like September weeks and cold wet autumn appropriate September weeks there so its pretty much an anything goes possibility. September is most often a pleasant transitional month from summer to fall. October is the real Jekyll & Hyde month at LRP. I've not been to Laguna in December but my recollection from winter series reports in the past is that you're probably more likely to have rain at that time of year. Perhaps others can add more first hand experience regarding Laguna in December.

No matter what we say about either place regarding the weather, you'll get what you get and simply have to deal with it.

I'd go with Lime Rock because it's three months sooner you'll be back in the race car.
Old 07-30-2013

This is way out of left field, but I booked my 2 day for Sebring. Cost was a factor and they were offering it for $2800. I couldn't pass it up. I'll be going for the 9/4-9/5 session and am looking forward to running the full course. I had planned on Lime Rock the whole time but I'm still jacked up about getting back in the car. Come on September!
Old 07-30-2013
Grand Master

Running the Sebring full course will be outstanding. You won't feel cheated at all. Congrats!
Old 07-30-2013
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 14

Sebring is a fav of mine and many of us here, with or without the history. You should not be disappointed. If you havent yet, you'd prob be much more comfortable and effective in the car if you get a custom seat poured. About $100-200 donation to mechanics fund. Check with your CSR about availability.
Full course is alot of track/turns for a 2day. You'd be well served by doing ALOT of video recon. Preferably the same car. Should be tons out there, including SBRS' own vids.
Old 07-30-2013

Thanks man. I've already been checking out some in car videos of the full course. A poured seat would be nice since I plan to keep going for lapping days and to try the occasional race. I'll check on it.
Old 08-02-2013

Is it too soon to know which instructors I'll have at the 2 day? Hoping I have pretty much the same group from my 3 day.
Old 08-02-2013
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Instructors should be receiving their September calendars soon, maybe within the next few days. Check back again, one of us should be able to let you know.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 08-16-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Thumbs up Re: Decisions Decisions

Quote:
This is way out of left field, but I booked my 2 day for Sebring. Cost was a factor and they were offering it for $2800. I couldn't pass it up. I'll be going for the 9/4-9/5 session and am looking forward to running the full course. I had planned on Lime Rock the whole time but I'm still jacked up about getting back in the car. Come on September!
I just made mine!
Looks Like I'll see you there! I just signed up - last minute - for the same deal.
Haven't had any seat time - busy trying to build a car and work of course - but reading all I can and trying to lock iit in.

Regarding Instructors: When I spoke with them yesterday, they had the list and I recall Kieth and Casy, would be there - but can't read my handwritten note for the third one!

I asked today, and Skip Barber is no longer associated with Helix - so you'll maybe want to get your own camera rig if interested.

Counting the days.

Cheers - Jim
Old 08-16-2013

Right on Jim. I'm counting down the days. I picked up a Go pro and rollbar mount before my 3 day and will be using it again. I'm all set except I need to call Monday for the crash damage liability. I think it's only $400 for the 2 Day school. See you there man.

Mike
Old 08-19-2013
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Instructors for the 2-Day ADV at Sebring, September 4-5

Casey Carden
Keith Watts
Nick Andries

Have a great school!

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 08-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Instructors for the 2-Day ADV at Sebring, September 4-5

Casey Carden
Keith Watts
Nick Andries

Have a great school!

Thanks Gerardo! Nick was at my 3 Day and Casey was at my single day. Looking forward to it!
Old 08-20-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Thanks Gerardo!
Kieth was my 3 Day.

Does anybody have an "agenda?" Schedule of the 2 days?
Are these about 30 minute sessions or so?
Never been to Sebring - any choice spots for my Photographer/wife/partner to hang and best shoot from?

I'm guessing that its the Advanced Course I am "expected" to bring my own helmet and "fart bag - or will Skippy have some there?

Sorry I have more questions than a 4 year-old.

Counting the days - left to prep.
Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock; 08-20-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2013
Grand Master

There will be helmets and driving suits available if you don't have your own.

At full song the cars only have enough fuel to run for about 30 minutes, though during training exercises, while not running wide open, they will run longer.

On day one you'll do a shifting exercise, some car control on the autocross, a flag talk, braking shifting and turning. It could be different now as when I did my 2-day the 3-day school cars and the 2-day advanced cars were different. School cars had 4 speed crash boxes and Advanced 2-day cars were the current open wheel race cars with 5 speed sequential gearboxes. The shifting exercise was your first crack at the sequential gear box which is now no longer the case.

Day two is a lot of seat time. There is a passing exercise followed by lapping with instructors on track all morning. In the afternoon you'll practice race starts followed by more lapping with instructors.
Old 09-06-2013
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

I signed up for the 3 day formula course at Sebring on Sep 23.
Can't wait! Does anyone know who the instructors will be?
Thanks
Old 09-06-2013
Grand Master

The early scheduling says Don Kutschall and Spencer Pigot. There will be at least one more and all could change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
I signed up for the 3 day formula course at Sebring on Sep 23.
Can't wait! Does anyone know who the instructors will be?
Thanks
Old 09-06-2013
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
The early scheduling says Don Kutschall and Spencer Pigot. There will be at least one more and all could change.
I see. Thank you very much.

Bookmark This Thread