View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

I've helped many a customer feel more comfortable with their HANS devicees in the Formula Dodge. Here's what I have observed over the years:

1. If you are taller, you will have a harder time getting comfortable and keeping the belts from slipping off. How tall is "taller"? Depends on your build. The shorter drivers seem to get a good fit. I am 5'8'' and the belts hold to my HANS very well. Never slipped off once.

2. I like how the HANS bolts me to the car better than belts alone, but that feeling will vary from person to person.

3. I've notcied drivers not tightening their belts tight enough, with or without HANS. I've walked the line during race weekends and realigned and retightened customers belts endless times. Sometimes they just don't realize it could be tighter. I teach them how. Safefy first.

4. If your belts slip, as you get strapped in, be sure that with each tug you pull on the shoulder belts, you also reach up and slide the top of the shoulder belt closer to your neck. Tug, slide, tug, slide, tug, slide, tug hard. That should help.

5. Once you are on track, on a long straight away, tug the belts again (most of you already do this).

6. I also do not recommend any "add ons" or "mods" to the HANS. No velcro, no clips, belts, whatever. The system must function as designed.

My $0.02

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use