View Single Post
Old 03-19-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Adjust your HANS properly!

If you are going to wear the damn thing, take a few minutes and learn how to properly adjust it.

I had an experienced Skippy instructor tell me at Laguna that I had too much slack in my tethers. I adjusted it the way he suggested. This left 4" of length between the neck upright and the helmet connection.

I then asked a few drivers who clearly had much more slack. They said they had "heard" that it was ok to have a lot of slack, and that the devices come properly adjusted on delivery.

To get the ultimate answer, I called HANS and researched their website this weekend. The site suggests 6" of tether between the upright and the helmet. That leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

On the phone, I was informed by someone in the technical dept, who claimed to speak to the inventor while I was on the phone. He said they now recommend 5". The measurement should be from the edge of the neck upright on the device and the center of the helmet connection bolt. He said that they are comfortable allowing up to 1" of leeway for personal preference.

PLEASE don't take my word for this. If you wear a HANS, call them and hear it for yourself. Make sure that I interpreted the info properly, and that my info is up-to-date. Whatever you do... make sure you use the thing appropriately, or you might as well not wear it at all.